KLRDMD

I just completed a current pilot record for insurance renewal on my Baron. I flew 175 (actually 177.5) hours in the last 12 months, 38 hours in the last 90 days. Of that, 150 was in the Baron and 25 hours in single engine, mostly teaching and exercising a friend's P210. In the last 90 days, 36 of the 38 hours were in the Baron with two flight reviews in single engine, each an hour flight time thrown in. I was expecting about 150 hours last year so 175 hours is a nice surprise.

I do have a non-equity partner in the Baron and his time will determine the insurance premium, unfortunately. He has about 25% of the hours I do and flies about 25% as much as I do. But . . . he pays half of the expenses.

Oh, and my first flight in the Baron was January 15, 2018 so that 150 hours in the Baron is for a 10 month period, not a full year :D

• Like 5

Just now, N231BN said:

A Baron is a wonderful airplane isn't it? What engines do you have?

Great airplanes. It is a stock B55 so the IO-470-L.

I was talking to a guy about a 182. He says he gets 130 KTAS on 13GPH. In "take your time mode", 80% or more of my flights, I fly at 2300RPM, 20" MP and 8 GPH per side in the Baron. That gives me 160 KTAS. The NMPG with the Baron or a 182 is identical, but I get there faster,  have an extra 700 lb useful load, air conditioning and a second engine for those flights over the mountains or over water. It does cost a bit extra in maintenance for that capability but it isn't a bad price to pay.

• Like 2

I helped a friend find, look at, and buy A nice b58  that he wants me to fly for him regularly...  he is in the process of closing.  It has the bigger 550 engines with 4 blade q-tips, winglets, edm930, 530w, aspen, active radar, auto syncophazer, deice, lots of goodies.  It will boogie and I look forward to getting that kind of time in it for 2019!!

5 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I helped a friend find, look at, and buy A nice b58  that he wants me to fly for him regularly...  he is in the process of closing.  It has the bigger 550 engines with 4 blade q-tips, winglets, edm930, 530w, aspen, active radar, auto syncophazer, deice, lots of goodies.  It will boogie and I look forward to getting that kind of time in it for 2019!!

If you can use their capabilities, they’re great airplanes.

2 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Great airplanes. It is a stock B55 so the IO-470-L.

I was talking to a guy about a 182. He says he gets 130 KTAS on 13GPH. In "take your time mode", 80% or more of my flights, I fly at 2300RPM, 20" MP and 8 GPH per side in the Baron. That gives me 160 KTAS. The NMPG with the Baron or a 182 is identical, but I get there faster,  have an extra 700 lb useful load, air conditioning and a second engine for those flights over the mountains or over water. It does cost a bit extra in maintenance for that capability but it isn't a bad price to pay.

Those are great numbers for a twin. The IO-470 is a really efficient engine if you have a light enough airplane to get the performance. The only B55 I have flown was a Pres II with 550's. He would normally run it at 12.5 GPH/side LOP and get 180-185 KTAS. It would easily do over 200 if you wanted to burn that much gas. It's single engine performance is simply amazing.

I have a friend who has owned a Baron for over twenty years. He told me a story of losing an engine while on an approach.  He went through the procedures and calmly landed. He said his passengers didn’t even know he had shut one of the engines down until he mentioned it later. He’s one of those calm laid back guys.

Kind of like one of my friend’s dad who got hit with lightening while working at his horse farm. His daughter noticed the hair on his legs were burned while eating dinner that evening. The ex Marine calmly divulged that a storm had passed over the farm that afternoon. 

4 hours ago, N231BN said:

Those are great numbers for a twin. The IO-470 is a really efficient engine if you have a light enough airplane to get the performance. The only B55 I have flown was a Pres II with 550's. He would normally run it at 12.5 GPH/side LOP and get 180-185 KTAS. It would easily do over 200 if you wanted to burn that much gas. It's single engine performance is simply amazing.

In my airplane I see:

8 GPH per side = 160 KTAS

9 GPH per side = 170 KTAS

10 GPH per sie = 180 KTAS

11 GPH per side = 185 KTAS

12 GPH per side = 190 KTAS

15 GPH per side = 200 KTAS

• Like 1

Wowwie!!!

A thread titled   "175"

About twin engine Beachcraft

in a forum dedicated to Mooney

not that is anything wrong with that,,,   but

I clicked it because I thought it would be about Cessna model 175......

Ken is slowly creeping in the right direction....

Next step... El Presidente with a pair of IO550s.... (wonderful engine for a Mooney)

Then finally... the ultimate turbine Mooney, from Tarbes France... the TBM...

175 is the usual ROP speed for an Ovation... 165 if you want to go LOP...

A UL over 1,000 is nice to have, but not a deep requirement... (for me)

Never know who is dedicated enough to be going turbine next... :)

Best regards,

-a-

38 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Ken is slowly creeping in the right direction....

Next step... El Presidente with a pair of IO550s.... (wonderful engine for a Mooney)

Then finally... the ultimate turbine Mooney, from Tarbes France... the TBM...

175 is the usual ROP speed for an Ovation... 165 if you want to go LOP...

A UL over 1,000 is nice to have, but not a deep requirement... (for me)

Never know who is dedicated enough to be going turbine next... :)

Anything that burns Jet-A is above my pay grade. I previously had a Colemill Baron (B55 with the 520s) and prefer the 470s. Either I'll keep the Baron or trade down to something that I can teach my son to fly in. We'll see.

• Like 1

How old is the boy..?

I’ll start looking for the thread...’I learned to fly in dad’s TBM 550...’  you know there has got to be one on the web somewhere...

Somebody allowed their son to fly around the world, solo, in an O... (youngest pilot to accomplish that feat)

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

How old is the boy..?

I’ll start looking for the thread...’I learned to fly in dad’s TBM 550...’  you know there has got to be one on the web somewhere...

Somebody allowed their son to fly around the world, solo, in an O...

26. He's just finishing school in the next few weeks, so will have the time and money to fly now.

• Like 1