Paint Shops around Kansas City/Midwest

FlyboyKC

Looking to take the plunge and get my bird painted around the beginning of the year. Looking for recommendations of paint shops around the Kansas City area or the Midwest in  general. I have a couple of quotes ranging from $8K - $16K. The $8k price doesn't remove the flight controls (not sure how important that would be). While $8K sounds great $16K is outside the budget. Something around $10 would be best. 

Anyone got any recommendations and/or and opinion of some of the shops around? Any places to stay away from? I am also looking at a couple of places down in FL as well.

Thanks

Neal

Expect to see removal of flight control surfaces.... not the controls themselves...

weight and balance of the flight surfaces is important to the health of the airplane.

read-up on some of the repaint projects around here to skip the low-ball surprises that come with the low-ball prices...

Stripping paint

dissolving other things accidentally....

Sanding off things that shouldn’t be sanded...

removing everything that should be removed... antennae and other things...

What is your objective?  Is this a forever-plane meant to stay around for a super long time?

Is this to refresh paint that is falling away faster every year, at the lowest cost possible...?

Best regards,

-a-

49 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Expect to see removal of flight control surfaces.... not the controls themselves...

weight and balance of the flight surfaces is important to the health of the airplane.

read-up on some of the repaint projects around here to skip the low-ball surprises that come with the low-ball prices...

Stripping paint

dissolving other things accidentally....

Sanding off things that shouldn’t be sanded...

removing everything that should be removed... antennae and other things...

What is your objective?  Is this a forever-plane meant to stay around for a super long time?

Is this to refresh paint that is falling away faster every year, at the lowest cost possible...?

Best regards,

-a-

My objective would be a forever-plane, and not touch-up. I am all in favor of removing the flight control surfaces. In fact I was rather surprised on when the vendor mentioned they didn't remove them. To me that raises a red flag on the quality. 

I'd be concerned about a shop that is scheduling work only a couple of months out. Quality shops tend to have a longer backlog.

Painting is mostly about prep. Prep takes time and time cost money. 

Several MSers have taken their Mooney to Hawk in Tampa. For me that was 600 miles away. Based on what I paid I suppose Joe will quote you about $13-14k, all access panels and flight control surfaces removed, everything chemical strip as much as possible and hand strip the rest, prime, repair and smooth. He only used Imron paint and he replaces all screws and easy lock fasteners. 

IMG_20180629_171729504_HDR.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'd be concerned about a shop that is scheduling work only a couple of months out. Quality shops tend to have a longer backlog.

Painting is mostly about prep. Prep takes time and time cost money. 

Several MSers have taken their Mooney to Hawk in Tampa. For me that was 600 miles away. Based on what I paid I suppose Joe will quote you about $13-14k, all access panels and flight control surfaces removed, everything chemical strip as much as possible and hand strip the rest, prime, repair and smooth. He only used Imron paint and he replaces all screws and easy lock fasteners. 

IMG_20180629_171729504_HDR.jpg

Wow! that is beautiful! Where did you get the cowl?

You can swing by R&B Aircraft in Topeka if you want to stay local.  Mine was painted by them back in 2010 and it still looked new the day I sold her in 2016.  Best part, was stopping by the shop to check on the progress as much as I wanted.  Greg may or may not still be there.  He was hinting at finally retiring back in 2014 when I last talked to him.

http://67m20e.com/new-paint.html

Contact information: http://www.rbaircrafttopeka.com/id5.html

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

<snip>  Best part, was stopping by the shop to check on the progress as much as I wanted. 

Agree! It was tough not to be able to get to the paint shop in process. (Except once thanks to @Danb.)

OTOH I had my major panel work done within 100 miles and I got there every week. 

I've heard a lot of good things about R&B in Topeka.  I was worried about my poor paint job causing corrosion issues and took it to him to have a look.  He was honest to a fault and told me there was no need to paint it unless I just wanted to change the look.  He will be closer to the $16k end, but your forever plane will have a forever paint job to go with it.