$100 Burger

bob865

I'm often looking for a good destination to fly to.  I love any reason to go up, but sometime a flight with no desination lacks that bit of intreague and challenge of navigating point to point and landing at a somewhat or very unfamiliar airport. What better reason to fly for fun than a $100 burger.  What are your favorite places for a $100 Burger?  Below are a couple I know.  Post your favorites and I'll try to pull them into google maps.  I've tried the websites, but the info in them seems really dated to me so I figured I would ask for first hand info that is hopefully more current.

• KGMU - Greenville Downtown Airport - Greenville, SC
    • Runway Cafe - Serves traditional american food.  Burgers, sandwiches, wraps, etc. Food is pretty good.  It's not 5 star dining, but not fast food either.  Offers a discount to fly-in pilots.  My home airport and still good enough I eat there even when I'm not flying.
  • KFQD - Rutherford County Airport - Rutherfordton, NC
    • 57A Cafe - Small mom and pop shop.  Ron (?) that owns it makes home made tex-mex and burgers.  Banana Pudding is top noch! Recommend it if nothing else.  Only open for lunch.
  • KHKY - Hickory Regional Airport - Hickory, NC
    • Crosswind Cafe - Been a whie since I've been, but a diner like resturant.  Food was pretty good.  There is also an aviation museum on the airport.  Museum is only open on the weekends I believe.

If you know of a cool desitination, feel free to throw that out there too.  Doesn't always have to be a burger.  Too many burgers and we'll have to recalculate W&B. :)

Since you’re talkin my area, I’ll add Simply Suzanne’s at MTV to the list. The restaurant, which used to get pretty bad reviews, I believe is under new ownership. I’ve been there a coupl’a times recently and the food was pretty good. And they’re open Sundays which is nice.

Also add The Flying Pig at EHO to the list. Gotta walk about 1500 feet or so. Tiny little hole in the wall but damn good brisket samiches.

Slightly further east of most places on your list is eman1200’s second home, the pik-n-pig at BQ1. Prob not a burger destination but good bbq and just an awesome fly-to-eat destination. Outdoor seating, cash only, “shortish” strip (2500 x 36). My favorite.

Don’t get me started on coastal destinations, too many to list.

Great idea Bob! I'll list the airport restaurants that I have flown to and would recommend.

KCGE, Cambridge, MD - Kay's at the Airport (wife highly recommends the crab cakes)

KGED, Georgetown, DE - Arena's (good fuel prices and easy approaches)

KLNS, Lancaster, PA - Fiorentino's (Class D)

KRDG, Reading, PA - Klingeras at the Airport (Class D)

KWWD, Cape May, NJ - Flight Deck Diner

26N, Ocean City, NJ - Airport Diner (walking distance to the shore -- New Jerseyians called it the "shore" and us Delawareans called it the "beach", probably because people in NJ think they are saying b$tch instead of beach :) )

N57, Toughkenamon, PA - Marauder's Cookout (barbecues a number of weekends during the summer, no reservation required)

Unfortunately Cloud 9 at Williamsport closed at the end of October. 

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

KCGE, Cambridge, MD - Kay's at the Airport (wife highly recommends the crab cakes)

I had dinner with a friend and Malibu driver (Piper not Chevy) last week and during the summer he flew into KCGE for crab cakes at Kay's. He remarked that they were the best he's ever had.

• Like 1

KRMG, Rome, GA. - Landmark Family Restaurant about 5 minutes from the airport. Crew car is available, and the restaurant is a diner we go to for breakfast on a semi-regular basis. They also have baked goods to take with you that are incredible!

2 hours ago, bob865 said:

I'm often looking for a good destination to fly to.  I love any reason to go up, but sometime a flight with no desination lacks that bit of intreague and challenge of navigating point to point and landing at a somewhat or very unfamiliar airport. What better reason to fly for fun than a $100 burger.  What are your favorite places for a $100 Burger?  Below are a couple I know.  Post your favorites and I'll try to pull them into google maps.  I've tried the websites, but the info in them seems really dated to me so I figured I would ask for first hand info that is hopefully more current.

• KGMU - Greenville Downtown Airport - Greenville, SC
    • Runway Cafe - Serves traditional american food.  Burgers, sandwiches, wraps, etc. Food is pretty good.  It's not 5 star dining, but not fast food either.  Offers a discount to fly-in pilots.  My home airport and still good enough I eat there even when I'm not flying.
  • KFQD - Rutherford County Airport - Rutherfordton, NC
    • 57A Cafe - Small mom and pop shop.  Ron (?) that owns it makes home made tex-mex and burgers.  Banana Pudding is top noch! Recommend it if nothing else.  Only open for lunch.
  • KHKY - Hickory Regional Airport - Hickory, NC
    • Crosswind Cafe - Been a whie since I've been, but a diner like resturant.  Food was pretty good.  There is also an aviation museum on the airport.  Museum is only open on the weekends I believe.

If you know of a cool desitination, feel free to throw that out there too.  Doesn't always have to be a burger.  Too many burgers and we'll have to recalculate W&B. :)

I've heard there is a good diner at Elizabethton, TN airport..   It might be a good one for you to try out..   K0A9

53 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

KRMG, Rome, GA. - Landmark Family Restaurant about 5 minutes from the airport. Crew car is available, and the restaurant is a diner we go to for breakfast on a semi-regular basis. They also have baked goods to take with you that are incredible!

I see you're in Pell City. I grew up Chelsea, just east of Birmingham and haven't had a Milo's hamburger in probably 10 years.  Can you suggest an airport close to a Milo's?

T51 in Fredericksburg, TX has a diner and hotel on the tarmac. The diner has an American menu along with Blue Bell ice cream soda fountain. I won't go as far to say that the food is the best I have ever had, but for a destination, and okay food, and mostly everyone in there is a pilot because the restaurant is right on the strip, it's a good place to go.

The town of Fredericksburg is a tourist destination so it is worth the trip there. The Museum of the Pacific war is there and very much worth a walkthrough if you have never been.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

I see you're in Pell City. I grew up Chelsea, just east of Birmingham and haven't had a Milo's hamburger in probably 10 years.  Can you suggest an airport close to a Milo's?

Let me look and see. 

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

There aren't any east of me, and the closest one I can find to an airport is the one about 8 sm from Prattville, AL airport (1A9). That looks to be nearly a 2:00 trip for you.

Should I bring one when I come to visit relatives in Mauldin?

Just now, Oldguy said:

There aren't any east of me, and the closest one I can find to an airport is the one about 8 sm from Prattville, AL airport (1A9). That looks to be nearly a 2:00 trip for you.

Should I bring one when I come to visit relatives in Mauldin? 

If you do, you'll instantly be my new best friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another area of the country for your map.  Here are the places I've gone with a brief report of each.

$100 Hamburgers

KHUT (Hutchinson, KS) - Airport Steakhouse - nice place, great food.

38K (Lucas, KS) - K-18 Cafe - small town diner, everyone knows everyone... except you.  Don't be surprised if they ask you about flying in.  OK food, great prices (1/2 lb burger, fries, O-rings, side salad, & drink for $7.95)

1K1 (Benton, KS) - Stearman Bar & Grill - typical bar and grill.  In the words of Yogi Berra, no one goes there anymore, its too crowded.  Chicken fried steak is larger than the plate!

07S (Beaumont, KS) - Beaumont Hotel - Hotel upstairs, diner downstairs.   OK food, land on grass strip, taxi on city street to Main St.   Park across from hotel.

K81 (Paola, KS) - We-B-Smokin BBQ - Awesome KC style BBQ

KPNC (Ponca City, OK) - Enrique's - OK mexican food.

KGCK (Garden City, KS) - Napolis - Bad Italian food, overpriced, would not recommend.

Museum

KFOE (Topeka, KS) - Kansas Air Museum - Actually toured this museum with our scout group, but it would be more fun to fly in for a tour.

In Texas...

KSEP - The Hard 8 BBQ
KUVA - Diner on the field, very historic WW2 training base
KCXO - Restaurant upstairs over the FBO looking over the ramp and runways.
T74 - Mexican restaurant about 50 yards from the ramp.
84R - Crew car and Zimmerhanzel's BBQ just a mile from the field. (Invite JD to go to lunch with you and learn something about your Mooney)
T51 - Airport Diner on the ramp. As @Mcstealth said, it's a great place to eat and watch airplanes.

Lots of other places as well... these are the obvious ones for me.

• Like 1

KAJO - Corona Airport Cafe. Nice strip with a little cafe and some well priced food

KCMA - Waypoint Cafe. Some of the best food I've ever had. Don't be surprised when you see a wait of over 1 to 2 hours. the place is packed.

F70. French valley cafe.

KRIR - Falbob Cafe

L52 - Rock and Road diner. Land at the airport, walk to the beach or Cafe. food is nice. and the beach is beautiful there. clean and usually not packed. Camping on the airport also allowed for 15 bucks. its a 2400ft strip, but any mooney should be able to land there without issue.