tail cameras and mounts - what is everyone using?

Hiya,

I am considering getting a camera to mount on the exterior of the aircraft and was wondering what everyone uses for that? It's all foreign to me so I haven't settled on any particular camera brand / type. I am most fascinated with the views from horizontal stabilizer or top of the tail. How is this done without creating aerodynamic issues?

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I tried searching and really couldn't find how its done.

Thanks!

I've done quite a bit of filming from cameras mounted on the outside of the plane. I've generally always used GoPros and really like the Session model for external mounting because of their size. I've recently purchased a Rylo 360° camera. I really like it for the ability to change the view while watching the footage.

I always use the GoPro or Rylo sticky mounts. Sometimes they are called helmet mounts. You might be afraid of them falling off, but I assure you they won't. 

I've never noticed any aerodynamic effects from using the cameras. I'm not a test pilot, but I've not wrecked any Mooneys while filming either.

The mounts sold by Nflightcam and others are just overkill. 

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

• Like 1

Great pics, Thanks! Do you have any experience with the various GoPro units? I would assume the smaller the camera the better. I think GoPro makes a smaller unit called the "Session" but I dont know if its any smaller or lacks key features of the "Hero" line.

A quick search on Amazon yields plenty of cost effective helmet mounts for these units. I'm glad to see its as easy to find as that!

Yes, I use the Session cameras from GoPro. I have a Session 4 and a Session 5. I think they do lack a few of the features of the larger Hero6 or Hero7 but not any features that I've found useful. It's best to just turn the camera on and let it run. Trying to control anything from inside the cockpit while flying, just reduces the battery life of the camera and is very distracting. 

All the GoPros come with a few helmet mounts included. But as you saw, they are easy to get from Amazon if you need more. There are two types, flat and curved. I've used both depending on the mounting location.

This was shot with the Session 4 on my tail. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danb said:

Paul how long does the batteries last once turned on.

I usually get a couple of hours. I figure 1.5 hours is a sure thing but I might get over 2 hours. The key is to have the wifi/bluetooth/etc disabled. Also use a lower frame rate unless you need slo-motion. But I find I'm typically speeding up video rather than slowing it down when flying. 

Those things will maximize battery run time.

• Thanks 1