Hangar available Atlanta metro

Mooneyn201tm

Wow, I thought it was bad here!  I just got a hangar today after a 15 month wait.  I hate to say it (especially now that I have a hangar), but when they have long wait lists like this, they need to raise the hangar rent.  Around here they range from $50 to $120 a month, but it doesn't matter since none are available.  The one I finally got is $89 a month and has the added benefit of 4 separate runways with one of which is 12,300 ft. long.  Sadly, I think a guy could make a living by renting out hangars as they come available and then subleasing them to pilots at a healthy profit! (not to give anyone ideas) 

Its worse than you might think. VPC is in the exurbs of Atlanta at best. Nice airport, but quite a hike from most parts of Atlanta. Closer in town there are no available T-hangars and multi-year waiting lists.

From the Kennesaw area it can be under 30 min with no traffic, depending upon where one is in Kennesaw. On I-75 at the 575 split it is 22.7 miles to VPC.

Now, for someone in that area it's great as RYY in Kennesaw has moved towards more big hangars for jets and fewer T-hangars, and there's little to no space to expand.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, Mooneyn201tm said:

Sold my Mooney after 35 years. I seek time 20-30 hours annually, you get the full size T hangar where there is a 10 year waiting list at KVPC, plus I pay hourly rent. 3500 hours Mooney C182RG, Bonanza. Recently passed Cirrus CSIP transition. INST, CML, no accidents. 

With that long of wait list they need to build more hangars.   Looking at google maps there appears to be many T-hangars there already and there is plenty of room to add additional hangars.

How many are on the wait list?

On 11/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, skydvrboy said:

Around here they range from $50 to $120 a month

wow...that's amazing...I'd love to decrease my hangar expense but I am thrilled with my current hangar (but not the cost) having a bathroom...amazing how many people use it again right before we leave or right when we get back!

2 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

wow...that's amazing...I'd love to decrease my hangar expense but I am thrilled with my current hangar (but not the cost) having a bathroom...amazing how many people use it again right before we leave or right when we get back!

Kris, you should stop scaring the crap out of them in flight!

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although, not to take over the OP’s thread, but I will be vacating my hangar at PDK at the end of the year and would be willing to discuss some arrangements for having someone move into it. There is a way to do this legally within the lease agreement. If you’re low down the waiting list and want to get a roof over your head quickly let me know. Send me a PM.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:01 PM, Jeff_S said:

Although, not to take over the OP’s thread, but I will be vacating my hangar at PDK at the end of the year and would be willing to discuss some arrangements for having someone move into it. There is a way to do this legally within the lease agreement. If you’re low down the waiting list and want to get a roof over your head quickly let me know. Send me a PM.

Just curious, where you located on the field? I am in one of the new west Ts. Ours are couny controlled and I didn’t think the lease allowed for subleasing but I could be wrong. I think it s back up to about a 10 year wait for county hangars at PDK.

@Bravoman Yes, all the T-hangars are county-managed, and the contract doesn't allow sub-leasing.  However, the way around this (which is how I got into my hangar in the first place) is for me to buy into the new occupant's airplane (for $1 or something meager) so that I technically have joint ownership. Then I (aka the new occupant) can put their airplane into the hangar. My airplanes have always been owned by my LLC, so it was very easy for the prior occupant of my hangar to simply join the LLC (for $1) and then I had the right to park my plane there.  When he decided he wanted out of the deal, since I was already in and paying the bills, I was allowed to officially move the hangar into my name. This was also right when the new West hangars were opening up so they were jostling everyone around anyway.

It's a technicality, but one that PDK has always allowed in the past.  Just an idea...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

@Bravoman Yes, all the T-hangars are county-managed, and the contract doesn't allow sub-leasing.  However, the way around this (which is how I got into my hangar in the first place) is for me to buy into the new occupant's airplane (for $1 or something meager) so that I technically have joint ownership. Then I (aka the new occupant) can put their airplane into the hangar. My airplanes have always been owned by my LLC, so it was very easy for the prior occupant of my hangar to simply join the LLC (for $1) and then I had the right to park my plane there.  When he decided he wanted out of the deal, since I was already in and paying the bills, I was allowed to officially move the hangar into my name. This was also right when the new West hangars were opening up so they were jostling everyone around anyway.

It's a technicality, but one that PDK has always allowed in the past.  Just an idea...

Exactly what I did to get mine. :)

whats the rent at PDK? I’ve been looking at jobs a Delta lately  

I was on the hangar wait list for my home drome for almost 20 years, until they built new hangars.  I recall the fellow renting them out telling me I was at the top of the "still breathing" list. Still, I'd not have an airplane if I didn't have a hangar.  Airplanes belong indoors, especially where I live.

13 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

@bill98 $400/month or thereabouts. Depends on when you got the lease...West hangars I think are more since they are newer.

$485 for my hangar at the west Ts. Sounds like a lot but it is probably not too bad for a really big new hangar with an  electric bi-fold door at a busy metro airport like PDK. I think I was on the wait list for 6 or 7 years and if they didn’t build the new hangars I think I’d probably still be waiting.

• 1 year later...

Check hangar space at KLZU.  I've had a hangar there on and off over the years and my experience is that they always have space available.  Aero Industries 770-980-0808.  There's a different company on the southside of the airport (Air Harbor), but they are a lot more expensive (newer hangars).  I don't know how current this info is, but this is what I remember.  

7 hours ago, KWFalconguy said:

This post is over a year old,  but what is status? I’m looking into buying a Mooney but would like hangar space in North ATLANTA area.

Check with Hawthorne at Kryy. They might have a T hangar available. Things are being arranged there because of some changes and improvements to the tarmacs. I do know that group hangar space is available if that suits you.