The AV 30 Looks Good

cliffy

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

It's finally approved, I got the email this morning. I'm almost done putting in the G5's after giving up on them, but I don't have an auto-pilot so if I go the GFC500 route I will need the G5.

image.png.01d9bd512d2561532dfaa277c10da537.png

Richard - When did you order yours. I ordered 10/18, but haven't received an email from  Uavionics yet.

Thank you,

Frank

48 minutes ago, Schinderhannes said:

Richard - When did you order yours. I ordered 10/18, but haven't received an email from  Uavionics yet.

Thank you,

Frank

I ordered mine 4/19 but this was not an email saying they were shipping the pre-order.

45 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

FWIW, I received the same email this morning and I haven't ordered one at all.  I'm on Uavionix's mailing list, though, from my tailBeacon purchase.  You might want to call them, Frank, or perhaps their email is in your junk mail folder?

Jim

I think it is just a mass email they just sent it out to everyone on their list. I received the email in both the email that I put the pre-order in with as well as a different gmail that I use for all the "lists" that I'm signed up for.

• 1 month later...

Well sold out of stock in 5 hrs.  I will have more in 2 weeks. Uavionix told me they will be shipping all the pre orders in the next few weeks so if you have ordered them you should get them soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my AV30 yesterday. The installation was pretty straight forward. I only installed the AI and will wait to install the DG until they have it ready to drive my STEC. The installation was fairly simple and should have only taken a few hours at most, but I was waiting on my IA to inspect before I could go any further so it ended up a most of the day project. Basically ran a power line from the circuit breaker, put in a couple T's for the pitot and the static, run the OAT. Put it all back together and everything fired right up! Since I had my panel apart, I ran the second power line and ground so I will be ready for the DG install as soon as the APA mini is available.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally took the dive and bought the AV30C to replace a steam DG. Well it does look good and I really like the interface with the IFD540 that provides GS and track information, although that part isn't IFR certified yet. I also connected the static, pitot and OAT links so that gives me the OAT, TAS and DA on the instrument. Problem is, I bought the AV30 to act as a primary DG and the precession on the instrument is just insane. Once set-up, it will loose close to 5 degrees per minute so you have to set it up every 5 minutes or so if you want to be sure you're flying the right heading.

This isn't acceptable and I did complain to UAvionix and they say that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. I read the same kind of complaints from other aviators both in the certified market and the experimental world.

So I'm kind of having mixed feelings about the AV30C and, although it appears it isn't ready for prime time yet, I'll reserve my judgement until I hear back from UAvionix and their solution!

AV30DG(1).jpg

AV30GPS(1).jpg

• Like 2

Interesting on the precession.   I have 2 to install but other things are in front of the line like the engine.  I'm also waiting for the AP interface for the DG.

From what I understand when you connect the DG or the AI to the GPS you can have it sync to the GPS heading. 

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

Interesting on the precession.   I have 2 to install but other things are in front of the line like the engine.  I'm also waiting for the AP interface for the DG.

From what I understand when you connect the DG or the AI to the GPS you can have it sync to the GPS heading. 

My AV30 is connected to my GPS, IFD540 in my case. It does interact with the the GPS and you can display information on the instrument in an HSI format or  as a GPS navigation display but it is for VFR use only. It will also show fixes or time to fix, GS, track and others.

But it won't keep a heading and it is non-slaved for now, so it cannot tell an autopilot to follow a heading. It will only show a track from the GPS. 

Early experience PIREP on dual AV30’s recently installed in my Ranger. 7 hours flight time including two cross countries and a short local flight. The pitot driven data points on the displays are spot on. VSI, altitude, airspeed, all great. The digitally driven stuff, not so good. The -30 used as a DG is just barely usable because of precession as others have noted. I have done the Uavionix “procedure” which is mildly ridiculous and did not help. The DG is usable but no where near as stable as the vacuum driven one it replaced. My real disappointment is with the attitude indicator AV30. It behaves like a lazy vacuum driven instrument, completely unsuitable for IMC. Just for practice, I flew a cruise portion of a trip solely referenced to the AV30 and was all over the sky. It tended to float in roll +/- 5-7 degrees. It also precesses at a pace that can almost be watched. I feel like they were rushed to market. Promised firmware updates have been delayed and are only supposed to address the precess issue. I will be sending the AV30 used as an AI back for an exchange. I have also had issues with the slip/skid ball and some issues with text data from the GNC355. I am hopeful for the promises the AV30’s were marketed for but as of yet cannot recommend them. For others on the fence about their purchase, I advise waiting another year if possible to see if the product and it’s support matures. Ill update as I make progress...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jakes Simmons said:

Early experience PIREP on dual AV30’s recently installed in my Ranger. 7 hours flight time including two cross countries and a short local flight. The pitot driven data points on the displays are spot on. VSI, altitude, airspeed, all great. The digitally driven stuff, not so good. The -30 used as a DG is just barely usable because of precession as others have noted. I have done the Uavionix “procedure” which is mildly ridiculous and did not help. The DG is usable but no where near as stable as the vacuum driven one it replaced. My real disappointment is with the attitude indicator AV30. It behaves like a lazy vacuum driven instrument, completely unsuitable for IMC. Just for practice, I flew a cruise portion of a trip solely referenced to the AV30 and was all over the sky. It tended to float in roll +/- 5-7 degrees. It also precesses at a pace that can almost be watched. I feel like they were rushed to market. Promised firmware updates have been delayed and are only supposed to address the precess issue. I will be sending the AV30 used as an AI back for an exchange. I have also had issues with the slip/skid ball and some issues with text data from the GNC355. I am hopeful for the promises the AV30’s were marketed for but as of yet cannot recommend them. For others on the fence about their purchase, I advise waiting another year if possible to see if the product and it’s support matures. Ill update as I make progress...

Great PIREP.  I had heard about the precession and it kept me from buying.  The ADI is disappointing, as the AV-20 was reported to have similar issues for some time.  In particular, extended standard rate turns would cause it to level out.  Have you tried that with your AV-30? (360* standard rate turn).

7 hours ago, takair said:

Great PIREP.  I had heard about the precession and it kept me from buying.  The ADI is disappointing, as the AV-20 was reported to have similar issues for some time.  In particular, extended standard rate turns would cause it to level out.  Have you tried that with your AV-30? (360* standard rate turn).

No, I didn’t think to do that on the local flight. Couple steep turns but no 360. Next chance to fly is in 2 weeks. Hope to have new AV30 then to try.

18 hours ago, Jakes Simmons said:

This is disappointing/worrisome to hear. My plane is in the shop right now having an AV-30 AI installed. I'll report my experience once I get the plane back.

• Like 1

Possibly stupid questions regarding the AV-30 as I have one going in as well:

In the FAQ section of their website it states:

AV-30-C is not approved for primary IFR navigation.  The AV-30-C is approved for installation as a primary Attitude Indicator or primary Directional Indicator.

Maybe I am not understanding something correctly...Can this be used as your primary attitude indicator under IFR? If not, why do they say it is approved as a primary attitude indicator? 

Based on the earlier pireps and reading this in the FAQ I am tempted to pull the trigger on this install.

33 minutes ago, Tahir K said:

Possibly stupid questions regarding the AV-30 as I have one going in as well:

In the FAQ section of their website it states:

AV-30-C is not approved for primary IFR navigation.  The AV-30-C is approved for installation as a primary Attitude Indicator or primary Directional Indicator.

Maybe I am not understanding something correctly...Can this be used as your primary attitude indicator under IFR? If not, why do they say it is approved as a primary attitude indicator? 

Based on the earlier pireps and reading this in the FAQ I am tempted to pull the trigger on this install.

I believe it means that if it is connected to your GPS you can NOT use it for course deviation guidance......(can not replace and HSI or CDI).   You can theoretically use it as an IFR replacement for your ADI or DG, but note some of the PIREPs above where some people are noting precession of the DG and potential issues with the ADI.  You may want to have a backup in case of this situation.

30 minutes ago, takair said:

I believe it means that if it is connected to your GPS you can NOT use it for course deviation guidance......(can not replace and HSI or CDI).   You can theoretically use it as an IFR replacement for your ADI or DG, but note some of the PIREPs above where some people are noting precession of the DG and potential issues with the ADI.  You may want to have a backup in case of this situation.

Thank you so much for clearing this up!! I have a G5 going in as the HSI and my original vacuum based AI going in as my backup as well. Hopefully that's enough.

Wonder how long till these issues are resolved...

31 minutes ago, Tahir K said:

Thank you so much for clearing this up!! I have a G5 going in as the HSI and my original vacuum based AI going in as my backup as well. Hopefully that's enough.

Wonder how long till these issues are resolved...

I read elsewhere that a software update is shipping to the experimental folks.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:54 AM, tmo said:

Am I reading it wrong, or does the AML not mention the M20K?!

Good timing with the BK/Sandia issue... Too bad the AP interface box is still not ready.

I called UAvionix and confirmed the K isn't approved.  They say it is because the K is certified to 28,000' and they're only allowed up to 25,000'.  I discussed the difference in service ceilings of 231's and 252's.  The tech support person I spoke to found the serial number differences between the 231 and 252 and said she would work on getting 231's by serial number approved on the next update, but said it would be a few months at least. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1