The AV 30 Looks Good

cliffy

26 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Mine actually works,..... most of the time.  Sometimes it will be way off.

I looked for the remote unit today and couldn’t find it.  It wouldn’t be n a wing would it?

I guess it could be.  I haven’t seen one in over 20 years....somehow I recall it being large.  

As promised, here are some pics. There is a brace that runs side to side in the empennage where it was mounted, very easy to see by just pulling the side panel off. The unit has a diameter of about 4 1/2" and a height of about 5" so is a decent size. Also, who says you can't use automotive parts on your Mooney? This one was manufactured by General Motors! :lol:

20190326_115241.thumb.jpg.835dd5a54fb0b703b4de1bc84eb2350d.jpg20190326_115609.thumb.jpg.dd4ed48360de164941aa7de42853509d.jpg20190326_115622.thumb.jpg.68506ca04e22b9f620c29b60c2239669.jpg20190326_115529.thumb.jpg.eb08b8a29662f1170c37fef1845796b4.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Look for the top shelf, with the heavy coffee can on it...

The shelf isn’t natural to the plane...

Check the WnB if anything comes out... that can looks pretty heavy.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I thought the same thing, but it was actually surprisingly light. (Made me wonder if there was actually anything inside it...) If I can remember I will get a weight with my wife's little kitchen scale.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anybody have an update on setting up the AV20S angle of attack?  What did you use or try for max and min settings?  I am running a Bendix King right next to my AV20S and can’t get the AV20S to hold a steep angle of attack like shows on my Bendix King.  

Also my true air speed calculations on the AV20S seems to be higher that I calculate on my panel Garmin GPS?

On 6/24/2019 at 12:58 PM, Gary0747 said:

Anybody have an update on setting up the AV20S angle of attack?  What did you use or try for max and min settings?  I am running a Bendix King right next to my AV20S and can’t get the AV20S to hold a steep angle of attack like shows on my Bendix King.  

Also my true air speed calculations on the AV20S seems to be higher that I calculate on my panel Garmin GPS?

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Not sure if this is wishful thinking on their part, but AS is showing expected shipment mid January. uAvionix is still listing early Q2 2020 as the date they are expecting certification.

image.thumb.png.c726261c515b263f6841966ec42b1686.png

That's awesome!

What do you hear about interface boxes to our autopilots?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Email update this morning. They are still saying Q2 of 2020 which is the first time I have received an email that didn't push back the time table, but we shall see. I've waited this long, I can keep waiting, especially since I got my pre-order in (I think over a year ago) and will only be paying the experimental price instead of the updated certified price when uAvonix bought it and bumped the price $500.

"Certification Update
uAvionix is hard at work on completing the STC/PMA certification and installation approvals for the AV-30.  These efforts have been enhanced by the combined talents of the original AV-30 team and uAvionix's engineering and manufacturing expertise. We are happy to report a majority of the hurdles are behind us, and estimate the project is 90-95% complete.  All required testing has been successfully completed and is nearing final FAA submission. At this time, as we work to create a complete Approved Model List, we welcome your feedback on the aircraft you want to see added. Recommend an aircraft here

As a company, uAvionix has certified numerous products. While the path to completion is often challenging, we find it extremely rewarding to bring our differentiated vision and approach to the aviation community. We appreciate your patience as we complete the few remaining milestones to deliver this amazing piece of technology that will beautifully and affordably enhance your aircraft.

While the world has hit some rough air recently and we cannot predict how current travel limitations may impact any remaining or follow-on activities, we assure you we are moving forward with purpose. We will complete the STC in Q2, and regardless of the environment we find ourselves in, will deliver.  As innovators and passionate aviators, we thank you for standing by us!"

On 3/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I stuck my AV20S in an existing 2" hole. I'm wondering if the fact it's not perpendicular to the direction of travel might be messing with the AHRS. This picture is on the ground, so not good for reference.

This is in flight, but it was dark and hard to get a good picture.

AHRS units are especially sensitive to non-perpendicular installations. We have that problem in a Cirrus when the Avidyne R9 system is installed. The MFD has an AHRS because it is a complete backup (and duplicate) of the PFD. Special pitch and roll offsets are measured and programmed into the PFD so the AHRS will behave correctly during acceleration and turns. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, MIm20c said:

I can’t tell you how many RV’s I’ve looked at that advertised 95% done that needed another 1k hrs to complete. I hope I’m wrong but I dot see this hitting the shelves (certified) until the new year...

95% of the work takes 5% of the time, the other 5% takes 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Someone on the this thread asked about an AV20s.  I installed one in my Citabria as a backup AI, G meter, and AoA.  It’s a great little product.  The AI is rock steady and g meter is good for aerobatics.   I haven’t seen much advantage to the AOA though.  The flight timer is nice too.

i replaced the electric clock with this device, ran a wire to an existing breaker and had it operational in one hour.  static and pitot connections took a couple of hours and wiring the audio alerts to my intercom took about an hour.  I paid my Mechanic $75  to inspect and sign off the install.

Lee

image.jpeg

• Like 3

YUP I did when I visited them in ABQ!!!!    As one who has owned several manufacturing businesses I am at a loss to explain 1 1/2 to 2 years to bring something to market even in aviation (which I have been involved in). 

8 hours ago, cliffy said:

YUP I did when I visited them in ABQ!!!!    As one who has owned several manufacturing businesses I am at a loss to explain 1 1/2 to 2 years to bring something to market even in aviation (which I have been involved in). 

Have you heard of the Bendix king KI-300.......5 years to market......(sarcasm txt)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

And if they haven't even submitted it to the FAA for approval yet then we have another year or two to wait.

I think that is right.

And they say they have an STEC controller in the works and nothing else currently in the works but they then would go after century.  And then after that they will think about other autopilots.  I have a king kfc200.  If a company is saying, "...century system first". "..autopilot integration will occur over time" that sounds like an STC wish list even less than a stc wordlist, much less an in progress list.  That sounds like the 5 year plus time horizon vs the usual "available in 4th quarter 2020" or "available 2021Q1" thing we are used to in aviation meaning maybe in 2 or 3 years.  So as much as I like AV30, I just don't see this thing coming to my airplane.

No, the initial STC will not have autopilot capability.

Autopilot integration will be accomplished in a phased approach. The initial autopilot support will be for STEC systems (which have their own roll/pitch source) and allow the heading bug on the AV-30 to drive the heading datum input on the autopilot. This interface will be accomplished with the APA-MINI converter. Follow on autopilot integration will occur over time, with most likely the Century systems first. These interfaces provide roll and pitch, in addition to the heading datum, to the autopilot. This interface is accomplished with the APA-10 converter. The APA-10 converter also provides ARINC 429 interface capability, which allows full vertical and lateral deviations from a digital navigational radio to be displayed. The AV-30 display component is provisioned for these interfaces, but will require a software update with the applicable autopilot adapter becomes available.

• 4 months later...