The AV 30 Looks Good

cliffy

3 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

The way I'm reading it is that they are only certifying it as Primary for the foreseeable future, since your Lifesaver is already certified as a backup AI then this fits your scenario.  What I don't see in the literature (and I may just be missing it) is a Flight Director, your KFC200 has one, not sure you can give that up.

Straight from their FAQ: "However, based on feedback, we have designed the APA-10 Autopilot Adapter to address the wide variety of autopilots found in legacy aircraft.  The APA-10 will provide roll, pitch, heading datum, course datum and flight director to/from the autopilot.  "

So, yes, they are aiming for the FD component.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

Erik,

The way I'm reading it is that they are only certifying it as Primary for the foreseeable future, since your Lifesaver is already certified as a backup AI then this fits your scenario.  What I don't see in the literature (and I may just be missing it) is a Flight Director, your KFC200 has one, not sure you can give that up.

Ron

Thanks.  Yeah - without the flight director I wonder if the AV30 can even indeed drive the KFC200 even if I were willing to give it up as a visual aid. I am guessing no.  Well we shall see what becomes certified in the end.

Folks all it takes is a little research to find out what is coming. 

Hers a clip from their website I found in 90 seconds of looking-

The AV-30, when installed as a stand-alone display, will not interface to the autopilot.

However, based on feedback, we have designed the APA-10 Autopilot Adapter to address the wide variety of autopilots found in legacy aircraft.  The APA-10 will provide roll, pitch, heading datum, course datum and flight director to/from the autopilot.  

We have also incorporated dual ARINC receivers, which will allow the AV-30 to communicate to a digital radio (Garmin 4XX/5XX Series, or compatible).  This will allow full traditional HSI functionality down the road.

Autopilot integration will be provided after the initial stand-alone certification effort.

I just want it to keep my Century IIb operational and work with my GTN. Aspen will let me do that for 10 AMU all in. Garmin makes me keep my ‘ol AI and is about the same price as the Aspen. AeroVonics? I’m looking at like 35-40% less than the competition and I don’t need to keep my old AI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

WOW - that is fantastic. And despite snappy be a tough pilot acronyms like "GYAOTG

When referring to our Mooneys, I think some guys here who fly the big jets prefer the acronym GYFLOTG  (Get Your Flying Lawnmower On The Ground) ;)

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

I am 99% sure of the answer, but I must ask anyway.....  will the AVS20 fit in place of the mechanical clock in an M20F yoke?

Even if it did, wouldn’t it provide false data with each move of the yoke?

53 minutes ago, takair said:

Even if it did, wouldn’t it provide false data with each move of the yoke?

Great point and honestly I did not think of it.   That said, the non S model is the same price as an Astro Tech timer.  If it would fit in the yoke and give me a timer it would be better than an Astro Tech.

Yeah Paul, I think it’s too deep too, but I had to ask.

I have an ancient two inch instrument in my Cessna 140 that no one, not even old, experienced pilots can identify.  In the picture it is directly above the pilot side yoke.  It’s wonderful conversationpiece and that’s all it’s good for.  I hate to give up the conservation piece, but I am thinking of putting an S model in its place.

Edit:  When I start looking at it, maybe putting the AV20 in place of the Astro tech would be the solution if it would fit.

My apologies for bringing a Cessna into a Mooney conversation.

3C2E4BB3-053C-45E5-A133-A796BDC4C8BC.jpeg

EB255671-294B-4E19-966B-5E7EBC5457E6.jpeg

• Like 1

I stuck my AV20S in an existing 2" hole. I'm wondering if the fact it's not perpendicular to the direction of travel might be messing with the AHRS. This picture is on the ground, so not good for reference.

IMG_2929.thumb.jpg.76b71d8995287eda799d6b031ce32650.jpg

This is in flight, but it was dark and hard to get a good picture.

IMG_2937.thumb.jpg.f9a0a44657d29d7c55342866ecfaf9ac.jpg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I used to have an Astro Tech in my J and was really underwhelmed by it, and that was before I saw how much they cost.  It’s buttons are absolutely terrible.  The AV-20 would almost certainly be an improvement, but it would seem like a real waste of it’s AHRS functionality mounting it that way.  It’s probeless AoA function is already quite questionable from what I have been reading.   

Jim

As you can see I have an Astro Tech in my Cessna.  I love it and it has served me well, $500 or so for a new one?  Really?  I can’t believe they still sell any at that price.As long as it continues to work I will have it in the Cessna, but buying a new one or even on the used market is a highly questionable use of funds.  That said, I put in the yoke of the Mooney because I needed a timer and then it quit.  Still trying to find something for the Mooney yoke, but I don’t think that will be it.

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Those that have the AV20S, how is the attitude indicator? I understand the AOA is no good, but was thinking of this for the clock functions and as a backup AI.

I’m also interested in this.  I know gsxrpilot said his wasn’t too good, but seeing how it’s mounted on an angle makes me think that’s part of the problem.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Great point and honestly I did not think of it.   That said, the non S model is the same price as an Astro Tech timer.  If it would fit in the yoke and give me a timer it would be better than an Astro Tech.

Yeah Paul, I think it’s too deep too, but I had to ask.

I have an ancient two inch instrument in my Cessna 140 that no one, not even old, experienced pilots can identify.  In the picture it is directly above the pilot side yoke.  It’s wonderful conversationpiece and that’s all it’s good for.  I hate to give up the conservation piece, but I am thinking of putting an S model in its place.

Edit:  When I start looking at it, maybe putting the AV20 in place of the Astro tech would be the solution if it would fit.

My apologies for bringing a Cessna into a Mooney conversation.

3C2E4BB3-053C-45E5-A133-A796BDC4C8BC.jpeg

EB255671-294B-4E19-966B-5E7EBC5457E6.jpeg

That looks like a remote mag compass.  The compass is/was likely hanging off the top of the fuselage behind the cabin.  The white needle points to the mag heading and the red needle is like a heading bug.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, takair said:

That looks like a remote mag compass.  The compass is/was likely hanging off the top of the fuselage behind the cabin.  The white needle points to the mag heading and the red needle is like a heading bug.

Yep, I had that in my panel. The remote magnetometer was back in the empennage. Opened up the side panel and it was a round cylinder mounted just behind the opening and about mid-level in a brace that ran from side to side. I can take a picture Tuesday when I go to the hangar if you would like. 

51 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Thanks skates.  I expect to look around for it tomorrow.  If I come up with nothing I’ll ask you to take a picture the next time it is convenient for you.

Does yours work!

Nope, previous owner said it never worked for him either. Not sure if it is the instrument, magnetometer, or both that are broken. Either way I didn't see the point of trying to troubleshoot it so just pulled both of them.

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Nope, previous owner said it never worked for him either. Not sure if it is the instrument, magnetometer, or both that are broken. Either way I didn't see the point of trying to troubleshoot it so just pulled both of them.

I’ve never actually seen one that works.