The AV 30 Looks Good

cliffy

I've had my eye on these since the first time I saw someone post a link to them. I actually like that it keeps the traditional look of the panel, not that the big glass panels aren't nice, but these bring functionality while keeping the nostalgia of the classic panel. 

• Like 5

This is precisely why I always go straight to the avionics/panel discussion forum whenever I come to this site.  I have never seen or heard of these products before and I must admit I am impressed.  I wonder how well the probeless AOA indicator works on the AV-20.  I already installed a single G5 almost 2 years ago so the AV-30 isn’t really in my wheelhouse but the AV-20 looks nice and could be useful with a DA, TAS calculator along with engine time recording for logging flight time instead of tach time (I manually start and stop a flight timer upon engine start up and shut down), AOA, G meter, volt meter, clocks, etc.  I love it.  If I end up reading positive reviews I could totally see myself buying an AV-20.  The price is very reasonable. 

If they can incorporate a Nav HSI in addition to the GPS/HSI I think Min Kao has a little something to worry about.

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I wonder how well the probeless AOA indicator works on the AV-20.

It should work quite well if the air is not ascending or descending.  In rising or sinking air it will be off in proportion to the rate the air is rising/sinking.  Assuming a 3 degree glideslope gives you about a 350 - 400 fpm rate of descent at final approach speed, that same rate of rising or sinking air should give you about a 3 degree error in AOA.  In the case if sinking air it will show you with a higher than actual AOA.  This will prompt you to add power which would be somewhat appropriate since you will need a bit more energy to stop your sink rate in the flare.  For rising air it will show you with a lower than actual AOA.

Question for you installation experts.  I have a Garmin G5 and my old analog ASI connected to the pitot static system.  Let’s say I were to theoretically add an AV-20S and an AV-30.  Would I lose pitot pressure or airspeed measurement accuracy by having ultimately 4 instruments tied into one pitot source?

1 hour ago, Schinderhannes said:

I replaced the clock in our panel with the AV-20. So far I am very happy with it and paid the deposit for the AV30. I have not connected static and temperature probe. After installation is complete I will provide more information on the full range of functions.

L1030116.thumb.JPG.ad02c3bef8207ddb89cb4ad123ed3ed1.JPG

L1030117.JPG

That's what I would like to do.  How did you do it legally?  Are you VFR only?  Or do you have another display of time including seconds?  Our GTN650 will display time, but only hours and minutes unless I dig down deep through the menus.  It has a timer that displays seconds, but a timer is not a clock.  The AV-20S is only approved secondary.  That is, it cannot replace ANY required equipment.  For IFR, a clock with a sweep second hand or a digital equivalent is required.  If they can get it approved as a primary clock, I'll do the same thing.

FAR 91.205.(d).(6)

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

• Like 1

I bought the AV-20 but haven't installed it yet, They had a small issue in the software that affects how the clock displays, nothing major but that sent out the notification immediately stating that the firmware is nor field up gradable to ver 1.1 but that they can be sent back to be upgraded. I have opted to wait to install it until I get mine upgraded. I have to admit I am excited to get it installed. It also sounds like after firmware 1.1 the units will be able to be upgraded in the field.

Brian

2 hours ago, Schinderhannes said:

I replaced the clock in our panel with the AV-20. So far I am very happy with it and paid the deposit for the AV30. I have not connected static and temperature probe. After installation is complete I will provide more information on the full range of functions.

L1030116.thumb.JPG.ad02c3bef8207ddb89cb4ad123ed3ed1.JPG

L1030117.JPG

That's the same place I am planning on putting it.

3 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

That's what I would like to do.  How did you do it legally?  Are you VFR only?  Or do you have another display of time including seconds?  Our GTN650 will display time, but only hours and minutes unless I dig down deep through the menus.  It has a timer that displays seconds, but a timer is not a clock.  The AV-20S is only approved secondary.  That is, it cannot replace ANY required equipment.  For IFR, a clock with a sweep second hand or a digital equivalent is required.  If they can get it approved as a primary clock, I'll do the same thing.

FAR 91.205.(d).(6)

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

I still have my original analog yoke mounted clock. 1/2 of the time it lives underneath the IPAD, but it is still installed and functional.  

51 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

How many hours did installation take?  I looked at the installation manual and it doesn’t look like there’s much to it.  I couldn’t see it taking much more than 5 hours.

So far less than an hour, but I haven't connected it to static, temperature probe, and audio panel yet.  

15 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, very exciting times for those of us flying vintage airplanes on a budget in need of panel upgrades.

I’m on the list for a TruTrak install and will add this AI, DG/HSI as soon as available.

i guess I’ll keep the vacuum pump to power the retractable step, lol.

I'm seriously considering the electric step if I end up removing my last vacuum gauge.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, very exciting times for those of us flying vintage airplanes on a budget in need of panel upgrades.

I’m on the list for a TruTrak install and will add this AI, DG/HSI as soon as available.

i guess I’ll keep the vacuum pump to power the retractable step, lol.

1 minute ago, rbridges said:

I'm seriously considering the electric step if I end up removing my last vacuum gauge.

Yep, I was planning on doing @takair's conversion already but there have been other things like the governor replacement that took priority. Now it's looking like a prop reseal will set it back just a bit more. Here's his thread on it and there is all the information on his website.

http://flightenhancements.com/index.html

• Like 1