cliffy

The AV 30 Looks Good

Recommended Posts

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

XThey have two interesting devices...

One data collector and display including a probeless? AOAi... (20)

And this attitude indicator/hsi/everything else display... (30)

https://aerovonics.com/products

Looks like my clock needs an update and the ADF needs to go... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that and a Truetrac AP What else would a 54 year old airplane need?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had my eye on these since the first time I saw someone post a link to them. I actually like that it keeps the traditional look of the panel, not that the big glass panels aren't nice, but these bring functionality while keeping the nostalgia of the classic panel. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is precisely why I always go straight to the avionics/panel discussion forum whenever I come to this site.  I have never seen or heard of these products before and I must admit I am impressed.  I wonder how well the probeless AOA indicator works on the AV-20.  I already installed a single G5 almost 2 years ago so the AV-30 isn’t really in my wheelhouse but the AV-20 looks nice and could be useful with a DA, TAS calculator along with engine time recording for logging flight time instead of tach time (I manually start and stop a flight timer upon engine start up and shut down), AOA, G meter, volt meter, clocks, etc.  I love it.  If I end up reading positive reviews I could totally see myself buying an AV-20.  The price is very reasonable. 

If they can incorporate a Nav HSI in addition to the GPS/HSI I think Min Kao has a little something to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I wonder how well the probeless AOA indicator works on the AV-20.

It should work quite well if the air is not ascending or descending.  In rising or sinking air it will be off in proportion to the rate the air is rising/sinking.  Assuming a 3 degree glideslope gives you about a 350 - 400 fpm rate of descent at final approach speed, that same rate of rising or sinking air should give you about a 3 degree error in AOA.  In the case if sinking air it will show you with a higher than actual AOA.  This will prompt you to add power which would be somewhat appropriate since you will need a bit more energy to stop your sink rate in the flare.  For rising air it will show you with a lower than actual AOA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The HSI doesn't have a glideslope function.  Hopefully they will add one, otherwise one AV-30 for attitude and one G-5 would work very nicely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone needs to go to their website a read what the instruments are designed to do initially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for you installation experts.  I have a Garmin G5 and my old analog ASI connected to the pitot static system.  Let’s say I were to theoretically add an AV-20S and an AV-30.  Would I lose pitot pressure or airspeed measurement accuracy by having ultimately 4 instruments tied into one pitot source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Question for you installation experts.  I have a Garmin G5 and my old analog ASI connected to the pitot static system.  Let’s say I were to theoretically add an AV-20S and an AV-30.  Would I lose pitot pressure or airspeed measurement accuracy by having ultimately 4 instruments tied into one pitot source?

As long as your new connections don't leak, then no.  There's no appreciable flow so there essentially no pressure losses. Adding capacitance (volume) to the lines could cause a slower response but there's not enough in your potential setup to matter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced the clock in our panel with the AV-20. So far I am very happy with it and paid the deposit for the AV30. I have not connected static and temperature probe. After installation is complete I will provide more information on the full range of functions.

L1030116.thumb.JPG.ad02c3bef8207ddb89cb4ad123ed3ed1.JPG

L1030117.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schinderhannes said:

I replaced the clock in our panel with the AV-20. So far I am very happy with it and paid the deposit for the AV30. I have not connected static and temperature probe. After installation is complete I will provide more information on the full range of functions.

L1030116.thumb.JPG.ad02c3bef8207ddb89cb4ad123ed3ed1.JPG

L1030117.JPG

That's what I would like to do.  How did you do it legally?  Are you VFR only?  Or do you have another display of time including seconds?  Our GTN650 will display time, but only hours and minutes unless I dig down deep through the menus.  It has a timer that displays seconds, but a timer is not a clock.  The AV-20S is only approved secondary.  That is, it cannot replace ANY required equipment.  For IFR, a clock with a sweep second hand or a digital equivalent is required.  If they can get it approved as a primary clock, I'll do the same thing.

FAR 91.205.(d).(6)

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TC is looking lonelier and lonelier every year....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the AV-20 but haven't installed it yet, They had a small issue in the software that affects how the clock displays, nothing major but that sent out the notification immediately stating that the firmware is nor field up gradable to ver 1.1 but that they can be sent back to be upgraded. I have opted to wait to install it until I get mine upgraded. I have to admit I am excited to get it installed. It also sounds like after firmware 1.1 the units will be able to be upgraded in the field.

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schinderhannes said:

I replaced the clock in our panel with the AV-20. So far I am very happy with it and paid the deposit for the AV30. I have not connected static and temperature probe. After installation is complete I will provide more information on the full range of functions.

L1030116.thumb.JPG.ad02c3bef8207ddb89cb4ad123ed3ed1.JPG

L1030117.JPG

That's the same place I am planning on putting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many hours did installation take?  I looked at the installation manual and it doesn’t look like there’s much to it.  I couldn’t see it taking much more than 5 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

That's what I would like to do.  How did you do it legally?  Are you VFR only?  Or do you have another display of time including seconds?  Our GTN650 will display time, but only hours and minutes unless I dig down deep through the menus.  It has a timer that displays seconds, but a timer is not a clock.  The AV-20S is only approved secondary.  That is, it cannot replace ANY required equipment.  For IFR, a clock with a sweep second hand or a digital equivalent is required.  If they can get it approved as a primary clock, I'll do the same thing.

FAR 91.205.(d).(6)

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

I still have my original analog yoke mounted clock. 1/2 of the time it lives underneath the IPAD, but it is still installed and functional.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

How many hours did installation take?  I looked at the installation manual and it doesn’t look like there’s much to it.  I couldn’t see it taking much more than 5 hours.

So far less than an hour, but I haven't connected it to static, temperature probe, and audio panel yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schinderhannes said:

So far less than an hour, but I haven't connected it to static, temperature probe, and audio panel yet.  

Please let us know the final tally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Schinderhannes said:

So far less than an hour, but I haven't connected it to static, temperature probe, and audio panel yet.  

I'll make an assumption, rightly or wrongly. If it was an hour install, the new instrument replaced one that that already had a dedicated breaker and hot wire near its intended location; all appropriately sized. You basically just had to relabel the breaker? I have a '69C which makes me  panel space and bus bar challenged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, very exciting times for those of us flying vintage airplanes on a budget in need of panel upgrades.

I’m on the list for a TruTrak install and will add this AI, DG/HSI as soon as available.

i guess I’ll keep the vacuum pump to power the retractable step, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, very exciting times for those of us flying vintage airplanes on a budget in need of panel upgrades.

I’m on the list for a TruTrak install and will add this AI, DG/HSI as soon as available.

i guess I’ll keep the vacuum pump to power the retractable step, lol.

I'm seriously considering the electric step if I end up removing my last vacuum gauge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, very exciting times for those of us flying vintage airplanes on a budget in need of panel upgrades.

I’m on the list for a TruTrak install and will add this AI, DG/HSI as soon as available.

i guess I’ll keep the vacuum pump to power the retractable step, lol.

 

1 minute ago, rbridges said:

I'm seriously considering the electric step if I end up removing my last vacuum gauge.

Yep, I was planning on doing @takair's conversion already but there have been other things like the governor replacement that took priority. Now it's looking like a prop reseal will set it back just a bit more. Here's his thread on it and there is all the information on his website.

http://flightenhancements.com/index.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now