Lycoming io-360 Engine odyssey

aidanf

9 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Yeah, where’d you find that?  Contintals website sent me to avisell which required an account that I don’t have.  Yeah, that’s them, thanks!

I went to www.factoryengines.com or www.airpowerinc.com search under cylinders, then by model number or series.

Clarence

On 11/12/2018 at 11:38 PM, Hank said:

Everybody has their own list, and some people would rather buy a lot of oil instead of parts, labor and STC to add a filter / remote filter to an engine without one? Personally, I can't imagine an engine without an oil filter, even my weedeater has one!

My weedeater has a battery and an electric motor.

6 hours ago, hoot777 said:

What’s the best oil filter conversion out there?  My m20g just has the screen.

thanks. Hoot

Hello Hoot,

In my experience, a Lycoming filter adapter works very well.  Air Wolf remote adapters work, but are mounted very poorly, and add 2 additional flex hoses and further clutter to an already tight engine compartment.

With a Lycoming adapter you can fit either the standard 48110 filter or the longer 48111 filter, you just have to learn to change the oil without spilling .

Clarence

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice work on your engine.  Nice to see it being fully primed, Lycoming should take note. Even the cheapest cars worth less than a Lycoming engine have better paint.

Clarence

Components in Europe are stupid expensive - I bought the cylinders off of airpower - at thee time they were 1800 dollars each, a European distributor quoted me 3000 dollars, everything else was similar - 30-40% more expensive than in the States - lets just say my carry on bag coming back from the States required a significant effort to store in the overhead, homeland security gave me some funny looks when they inspected my bag.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aidanf said:

Components in Europe are stupid expensive - I bought the cylinders off of airpower - at thee time they were 1800 dollars each, a European distributor quoted me 3000 dollars, everything else was similar - 30-40% more expensive than in the States - lets just say my carry on bag coming back from the States required a significant effort to store in the overhead, homeland security gave me some funny looks when they inspected my bag.

Were they complete assemblies ready to bolt on? piston pins and plugs?  Sounds like a good deal.  Last I checked Lyc. angle vale cylinders were $2,300.  When I overhauled my io 360 400 hours ago I had ECI overhaul my first run cylinders and do the ni cad process.  So far so good.  If these had been available then I might have gone with them instead.

they come as complete assemblies ready to bolt on - looking at the prices now they have gone up to 1950 dollars, my mechanic offered to replace the guides and skim the cylinders as they were still in spec, but I was thinking that the heads were really old, and newer cylinders have hardened valve seats which will help with whatever unleaded fuel comes up in the future.

the coatings are meant to protect the cylinders from corrosion, most privately owned planes are not run often enough to prevent some corrosion on the cylinder walls .

The coatings are also a lot harder than steel so it possible if the engine is run right that you will not wear out the cylinder, they are also easier to break in,

Edited by aidanf
spelling

Lycoming has issues with cams.  I rebuilt mine at @2400 hrs and put in a new older cam which should have had good metallurgy.  About 300hrs/2yrs  later I developed a case crack and did it all over again and the cam was already worn (new case).  A lot of flying between and camgaurd.  Neither of those two things is going to fix a metallurgy problem in the cam itself.