Changing Tires based on age

LANCECASPER

26 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Does anyone know if tires wear down faster if you touch down firmly or gently?  Intuitively, I'd think firm touchdowns would produce less wear, since there'd be less sliding before the wheel spins up, but that's based on no data or knowledge whatsoever...

No data either, but I would expect landing speed to have more of an effect. That, and skidding the tires . . . .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I change tires when I’m embarrassed to show up at an airport with my tires.

Cord showing, flat spots, no tread, crap I better get some new tires....

if I get ramp checked the feds are going to call me on this.

I've landed with a flat main tire and a flat nose tire. Hard to taxi, but didn’t brake anything else. Avoid turning.

just saying, you don’t need to go that far, but you are worrying excessively.

For me, I keep an eye on my tires.  The wheels come off at annual, so if I need a tire, that is when it gets swapped out.   Typically I will go with something like an AirHawk.  The last time I bought tires, which was 2015, mains were $80 each, and the nose was $63.   The tubes were almost as much, around $50 each.  --All in, my aircraft tires cost less than my car tires, so I replace them when they look old. I'm hoping that will be 5+ years from now.

Tire manufacturers recommend replacing on condition, not age. Tubes are frequently replaced along with tires as they stretch and grow in service and may be difficult to reassemble  without pinching. If tubes leak significantly, the tube and valve should be leak checked in a tub of water. 

Taxiing and takeoff also wear tires. It’s not worth altering landing technique to save wear. A Michlen rep once told me that airline tires wear most an takeoff because the weight is greatest (fuel load).

5 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

Is there anything to do other than clean the tire with soap and water and then go flying?

That was a carefully engineered design feature to keep the nosewheel tire from corroding. All the K's have it. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2