Engine Covers are they worth it?

FlyboyKC

Well winter is here, well at least in Kansas City it is. I was thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing an engine cover. How well do they really work? I have seen some use an old horse blanket, seems like it would work just as well.

Thoughts?

Neal

A "real" engine cover fits the plane snugly, and is typically both wind-resistant and heat-resistant.

One of the most important uses for me is retaining heat when landing for a few hours at a cold destination. I have a Kennon cover that I'm totally comfortable putting on a hot engine (where it may contact very hot exhaust surfaces). The cover I have uses these bungee fasteners that keep it tight enough that a stiff wind won't blow it away. 

I don't know if it's worth the price, exactly, but it's awfully nice to have. I think of it like the difference between a big blanket and an expensive mummy bag. The blanket might keep you perfectly comfortable for sleeping, but if money is no object I'd much rather have the fancy bag. 

Some kind of cover really makes a difference in preheating.  In my hanger, last year I just threw a couple moving blankets over the cowel and it did the trick.  This year, we are planning o do more traveling where the plane will sit outside, so I've ordered an actual engine cover.  It isn't here yet to give a full review but the hope is I'll be able to keep the engine warm enough when its outside.  Can't leave a blanket just dropped over it in a breeze.

Edited by hypertech

We purchased an engine cover from macsairplanecovers on ebay for the Cherokee a couple of year ago.  Its a guy in Northern Michigan who makes them.  Not sure he has patterns for a Mooney but I would check.  If I didn't have two Tannis covers for the Mooney already, i would be checking with him.  I think I like his cover better than the Tannis.