Garmin GTX33ES STC

Hi, I'm new to posting on here but have been following the forum for years and need some help. My IA installed a Garmin 480 and GTX33ES remote transponder in my '66 M20C a few months ago. Not being a Garmin dealer he is unable to obtain the STC for the GTX33ES and is telling me he cannot sign off my equipment until he gets the STC. He mentioned if we knew someone with the same transponder in their certified aircraft we could just use a copy of the STC from their records. Is there anyone that has the same transponder and would be willing to share a copy with me or anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

14 hours ago, nebhuskr123 said:

Yes, Iv'e brought this to his attention and he keeps saying he needs the STC that is signed. The one on the FAA website has no signature on it.

Mike,

At the risk of overstating the point, I would suggest that you delete this thread and go back to your IA for a serious discussion. Maybe get a second opinion.  If you go and do anything with a “borrowed” STC, such as try to sell your plane or have it inspected by another IA, you might be in for a rude surprise. 

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Rwsavory said:

Mike,

At the risk of overstating the point, I would suggest that you delete this thread and go back to your IA for a serious discussion. Maybe get a second opinion.  If you go and do anything with a “borrowed” STC, such as try to sell your plane or have it inspected by another IA, you might be in for a rude surprise. 

Good luck.

Garmin , does not issue STCs per hull # , So a copy is adequate....As far as other company's , many issue per hull # , and they are not transferrable...

All you need is the permission letter and a copy of the AML-STC installation data for the installation. The permission letter as Alan states, is NOT serial number specific.

Then you do a 337 without a lot of fluff.   Like three sentences including the required information (disclaimer i'm not a professional AP / IA just have done a bunch of these myself with my IA).  Your IA should know what's required language.  Email me and I'll show you an example of mine for a 430W / GTX 330 ES installation.  Submit to FAA.  Done. You're legal.  

What you won't be able to find without being a garmin dealer, an experimental builder or having some friends, is the latest revision of the STC installation manual.

PM me if you need copies of the documentation.

Your IA doesn't know the STC applicability and what's needed for a legal Garmin installation by your account above. 

Hope this helps and take care,

Brad

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

Garmin , does not issue STCs per hull # , So a copy is adequate....As far as other company's , many issue per hull # , and they are not transferrable...

I stand corrected, and thanks for the clarification. However, I would still be very concerned that Mike’s IA didn’t fully advise him about the legalities before the installation.  If I were having it done, I would expect to have all the paperwork completed when I picked the plane up.