Australian Pilot visit

mike_elliott

Last week while I was with the Australian Mooney Pilot's Association, it was asked if a group of our Aussie Brethren came to the States around OSH timeframe, could they possibly rent some of our steeds to fly a bit in the US. I didnt give an encouraging answer to them, but thought it might be worthwhile if a number of us were to "partner" with them for a bit of a $1000AUS hamburger run. If anyone is interested in such a thing, post your interest here and maybe something will come of it. To a person, I have the greatest admiration of our southerly brothers and sisters. They have hurdles to fly GA that we dont and they are still as passionate and dedicated to bettering the breed as group I have seen. Personally, I would like to see a group of them attend the Mooney Summit, but realize OSH is a slightly bigger draw for them to spend the $$$ it will take to come here.

• Like 2

Mike

Sounds good. 

How many people are we talking about?

Maybe when they show up we can coordinate flying them around.  I would let them fly left seat if they are good experienced Mooney pilots which I'm sure they are.  A little coordination and a couple of 3 to 4 hour flights and they can be almost anywhere in the USA flying themselves but with the owner in the right seat assisting.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Mike

Sounds good. 

How many people are we talking about?

Maybe when they show up we can coordinate flying them around.  I would let them fly left seat if they are good experienced Mooney pilots which I'm sure they are.  A little coordination and a couple of 3 to 4 hour flights and they can be almost anywhere in the USA flying themselves but with the owner in the right seat assisting.

I’m not sure of how many yet, John. AMPA members, got your ears on.?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bill98 said:

Qantas has the non stop A380 flight into DFW. I know there are many Mspacer’s that live within an hour flight of Dallas. Caravan some Aussies to Wisconsin from Dallas ?! B)

Just did this 17+ hr flight, the second longest commercial flight. I don’t know if it’s nighttimr or daytime, yesterday or tomorrow yet

On 11/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, mike_elliott said:

Just did this 17+ hr flight, the second longest commercial flight. I don’t know if it’s nighttimr or daytime, yesterday or tomorrow yet

Yep, I've been on that flight several times.  And longer ones as well. I'm glad it's all behind me... at least for now.

@mike_elliott and @patrickf,

did you guys meet while Mike was in Australia?

FYI, One of the The cool things that Patrick has worked on... simplifying, app-iffying, calculating T/O distances for Mooneys... for the O in particular...

There is a thread around here for that... so it is somewhat public knowledge...

It is a light on something every Mooney pilot would like to have...

Automating the T/O and landing distances required for each Mooney.  Pilot Puts in the proper data, gets a proper book value calculation/result. Same data the long hand, finger tracing across graphs does, just fewer human error events involved... and certainly easy enough to do from the front seat... no being embarrassed by pulling out a big book in front of your flying friends or family...

We lost a young NJMP (New Jersey Mooney Pilot)  When he failed to calculate the distance required for T/O, with the load he had, and the warm temperature that was around.

If he pulled out  a handy dandy phone with a T/O calculator app, him and his two friends would have clearly seen the extra 200’ feet of runway they didn’t back taxi to use, would have been extra helpful...

So I bring this up because the Mooney Summit would be a great place to demonstrate this calculator...

It would be great to have a CFI like Mike to verify its ability to be used (as I have done less than full testing of it, and my opinion is not as nearly valuable as a CFI)

If Mooney wants to support the effort, it would be great for them too...

Our friend’s name was Patrick as well... So if things happen for a reason... this could be that reason... 

A Mooney App would be spectacular... It would give the PIC the data he needs to be PIC...

Let me know if I was unclear about this topic, as it might be quite the thread creep.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes we did meet. Patrick is an awesome mate!

[mention=11242]mike_elliott[/mention] and [mention=17565]patrickf[/mention],

FYI, One of the The cool things that Patrick has worked on... simplifying, app-iffying, calculating T/O distances for Mooneys... for the O in particular...
Automating the T/O and landing distances required for each Mooney.  Pilot Puts in the proper data, gets a proper book value calculation/result. Same data the long hand, finger tracing across graphs does, just fewer human error events involved... and certainly easy enough to do from the front seat... no being embarrassed by pulling out a big book in front of your flying friends or family...

We lost a young NJMP (New Jersey Mooney Pilot)  When he failed to calculate the distance required for T/O, with the load he had, and the warm temperature that was around.
If he pulled out  a handy dandy phone with a T/O calculator app, him and his two friends would have clearly seen the extra 200’ feet of runway they didn’t back taxi to use, would have been extra helpful...
So I bring this up because the Mooney Summit would be a great place to demonstrate this calculator...
It would be great to have a CFI like Mike to verify its ability to be used (as I have done less than full testing of it, and my opinion is not as nearly valuable as a CFI)
Our friend’s name was Patrick as well... So if things happen for a reason... this could be that reason... 

A Mooney App would be spectacular... It would give the PIC the data he needs to be PIC...
Let me know if I was unclear about this topic, as it might be quite the thread creep.
Best regards,
-a-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:17 AM, carusoam said:

@mike_elliott and @patrickf,

Best regards,

-a-

That’s in the ForeFlight M20E performance profile thread!

i would be more than happy to work in making the APP too.

@gsxrpilot when you say longer flight... do you mean in NM or in hours flown? :)

5 minutes ago, bill98 said:

@gsxrpilot when you say longer flight... do you mean in NM or in hours flown? :)

It's probably hours in the air...

United UA1 is about 17.5 hours from SFO to SIN, the return is a little shorter. And I've been on the Qantas Sydney to Dallas flight several times and in both directions.

Routes are constantly changing and the "Longest Flight" title keeps changing as well. But I've been on quite a few flights that were between 15 and 18 hours in length.

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum which is kind of silly since I've owned my J since 1987 and brought it to Australia in 2005 where I now live in Sydney.

I had the great pleasure to meet and host Mike and Alice for part of their visit down under. It was terrific to have Mike at our Mooney safety program in Bathurst, NSW! I know many of us hope he will return soon.

I'd like to make a sort of reverse offer to any experienced Mooney pilots that might want to come over to Australia and fly a nice J still on the N registry. It's fully ADS-B compliant with a low time Firewall Forward engine. The nice thing about having it N registered is that anyone with FAA ticket can fly here without any license conversion. My insurance is OK with an arrangement as long as certain min flight experience is met. Anyway,  just thought I'd throw this out to keep in mind if you make the long trip over.

Peter

PS Photo from trip last Sunday to Mitta Mitta (near the Snowy Hydro project in the "Australian" Alps.

Mitta Mitta Nov.11 2018.jpg

• Like 6

Since Anthony will probably welcome you Peter, Ill fill in some of his questions for you. Peter is a world class cellist who instructs at the Sydney Conservatory whos hobbies not only include flying, but astrophotography. He has his own telescope at the Sydney Observatory and produced this masterpiece. His son Nicholas is following in his fathers footsteps and already is one of the best classical guitarist i have heard at 16.  Did I mention his wife is a world class pianist? If anyone gets to Sydney, do look Peter up. A finer family cannot be found.

Peter Rejto.jpg

• Like 3

Wow,

I’m only a few minutes late.... 

Welcome aboard, Peter!

We have a few interesting musicians flying Mooneys around here...

Doc John... @M20F-1968

Matt @Guitarmaster

And a few more that my feeble memory can’t list off...!

I know very little about their musical background, but they have great expertise in refreshing old Mooneys!

Australia is quite the Island of Aviation... we have a few MSers that are there... and a couple that have come from there...

One of my favorite Mooney pics of all time... Mooney on a stick, the Mooney that belonged to  ‘the Bird Lady’...

I’m glad you joined us here on MS!

Best regards,

-a-

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

One of my favorite Mooney pics of all time... Mooney on a stick, the Mooney that belonged to  ‘the Bird Lady

One of my nominees for the Mooney Hall of Fame will be Robin Miller, Anthony! John Cheesborough is in the running also.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind introduction! Just one not so minor correction to keep me out of trouble! My telescope equipment is not at the Sydney Observatory.....nothing wrong with Sydney except for horrible light pollution!  I'm located at a very dark site just outside of Canberra in Yass.

When I first moved to Australia I was really overwhelmed by the hospitality of the great Mooney organization here, AMPA which is full of remarkable people from all walks of life. They are dedicated and serious flyers who take their aircraft into remote strips the likes of which I believe most aviators wouldn't consider...just common practice over here and routine.

Peter

• Like 1

Welcome @Peter Rejto

I know exactly where Yass is. I've flown hang gliders there a few times. I spent four years living/working in Sydney and all over Oz. I couldn't ever get a medical sorted with CASA and so set aside that type of flying for a few years and flew hang gliders.

• 1 month later...

Peter sounds awesome my son in law if from Sydney just got his USA citizenship, legally yet, he goes back for a month usually each year I may have to tag along and take you up for your offer. After 10 years he still has that Australian accent.