hangar availability for this weekend, Eagle Co, Colorado?

jrwilson

Anyone know of anywhere that might have hangar availability for this Saturday to Monday at Eagle County, Colorado?  The FBO wants $165 per night, which seems a bit pricey.  It's going to get very cold overnight so hopefully I can put it inside.

Thanks  :)

John

• Like 1

Funny you mention this, just yesterday my friend and I were talking about whether it would make sense to start an "Airbnb for hangars" web site of sorts where:

1) airports could list their hangar availability and pilots could get on a waitlist
2) people could put up their hangar for temp lease or even day lease for transients

Do you guys think this would be useful for GA? As far as #2 goes, an issue we started thinking about was how security would work, for those airports that require a badge, etc...could get complicated and not sure if it's totally practical.

Funny you mention this, just yesterday my friend and I were talking about whether it would make sense to start an "Airbnb for hangars" web site of sorts where:
1) airports could list their hangar availability and pilots could get on a waitlist
2) people could put up their hangar for temp lease or even day lease for transients
Do you guys think this would be useful for GA? As far as #2 goes, an issue we started thinking about was how security would work, for those airports that require a badge, etc...could get complicated and not sure if it's totally practical.

I would think hangars rarely go empty for long periods unlike 2nd homes. And given how weather could cause postponed trips,etc not sure how useful for #2 it would be.

1 hour ago, AlexLev said:

Unfortunately like most things GA... there isn't likely the critical mass to make it work, much less profitable.

It's likely just as effective to use our MooneySpace Map and reach out to someone local to ask about hangars. Most owners know the hangar situation at their local field.

I think the idea is sound, but like Paul said, I think you will have difficulty reaching a critical mass needed to make it effective.  I'm going to disagree about knowing the local hangar situation though.  I'm still searching for a hangar and had no idea one of the guys on the field had his plane in for maintenance and his hangar was temporarily available.  The maintenance took nearly 4 months and I would have gladly rented that space from him during that time.  I only found out about it a week before the maintenance was completed.

I know this would be targeted to transient pilots, but like me, they would have no way of knowing that hangar was available without some sharing service like Airbnb.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexLev said:

Would be nice

I have a hanger in western NC at KRHP that is empty most of the time. I will use it about 45 days a year.  I purchased it because getting one where I want to be in a few years was worth the money. I would be interested in something like a hanger sharing or trade with others like me.

Edited by nfonville

Anyone know of anywhere that might have hangar availability for this Saturday to Monday at Eagle County, Colorado?  The FBO wants $165 per night, which seems a bit pricey.  It's going to get very cold overnight so hopefully I can put it inside.
Thanks 
John

I frequent a ski area in the winter and never bother with the expensive heated hangar. I just park in reach of electricity and plug in my engine tannis heater. If you don't have that they'll pre-heat your engine on the ramp for you for much less than a night in the hangar.
In my mind, the only thing to push me into a hangar is the threat of hail. Snow isn't bad if it's cold powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I generally ask the FBO prior to my departure when I’m staying more than a couple days, many times it’s available averaging about $75 per night. I wouldn’t hesitate paying $135 in Vail if I could afford going there. I don’t have an engine preheater on my plane. I’m leaving for Longview in the morning so I upped the temp in the hanger to 60*, I keep it at 45* when I’m not planning to fly. Wondering what others keep there heated hanger at?

Just got to Longview Tx supposed to rain all night, can’t get to DMax until tomorrow, KRS is charging $75 for tonight in a heater hanger.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, kortopates said:

I frequent a ski area in the winter and never bother with the expensive heated hangar. I just park in reach of electricity and plug in my engine tannis heater. If you don't have that they'll pre-heat your engine on the ramp for you for much less than a night in the hangar.
In my mind, the only thing to push me into a hangar is the threat of hail. Snow isn't bad if it's cold powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of that too, seems like a good idea.   Surprisingly they don’t have pre-heat.  Back-up plan was an extension chord for my homemade preheated system.  I don’t have tannis.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

Several times I’ve stayed a week at a wintry airport & asked the FBO to pull my plane into a heated hangar starting the day before I leave. 

That’s what I ended up doing.