BB/VREF/Value Guide - My Idea

jgarrison

Thank you for all the input you gave me on my dilemma on curing the inadequacies of the value guides. I think this is what I am going to do. Please let me know if you think I am on the right path.

I am going to use my old MAPA format but instead of talking about a certain topic each month, I will just give some general information about buying, selling and pricing/appraising Mooneys. I will separate the data by model (pre-201, M20J, M20K, etc...).

I am going to give it away in a PDF format. The only requirement I will have of the donee is that I get his or her name, valid email address and phone number and a little note about what they expect to do with the data (use for buying, use for selling, use for insurance, use for just 'hey, I like stuff like this').

If the data is being used to purchase or sell a plane, I will ask the user of the guide to provide me with actual sales data after the sale is completed so that I may keep a confidential record of sales that happen outside of my business. 

I will ask the user to donate to me voluntarily if the user finds the data useful. If the user doesn't want to donate, no harm, no foul, but if the guide helps them make a wise $50,000 or $100,000 or $200,000 decision, perhaps they can make a small contribution to me for the time and effort put in to produce and keep the data current.

I will, of course, identify myself in the guide and explain what my services are with respect to buying and brokering Mooneys.

This plan will not likely fix Bluebook or VREF and it will not likely have a real fix to the appraisal points used by lenders (who are shackled to BB and VREF). However, having the data available and a reasoned approach to how to add properly give credit for equipment in a plane may eventually have an affect on both lenders and existing value guides.

Does this sound like the proper strategy? Does anyone else have any ideas or want to add to this plan? Thanks again for all the input to date. It has been a good learning experience for me.  Jimmy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hi Jimmy,

This approach strikes me as eminently sensible. Exchanging information for information is a well established business model and in other businesses you might be able to charge a non-provider of data for the report that you produce. Not sure there are enough Mooney owners to be able to create a paying base (we are CBs after all :) ) but your expectation that we contribute contact information and sales data strikes me as perfectly reasonable.

Personally, I look forward to seeing the report on the GX model Ovations ;)

Good luck

Robert

On 11/10/2018 at 8:21 PM, Robert C. said:

Hi Jimmy,

This approach strikes me as eminently sensible. Exchanging information for information is a well established business model and in other businesses you might be able to charge a non-provider of data for the report that you produce. Not sure there are enough Mooney owners to be able to create a paying base (we are CBs after all :) ) but your expectation that we contribute contact information and sales data strikes me as perfectly reasonable.

Personally, I look forward to seeing the report on the GX model Ovations ;)

Good luck

Robert

Thanks for the feedback Robert... Unfortunately, I think the GX Ovation will be right at the end. More than likely, I will start at the bottom and work my way up.

An interesting point came up the other day...

One of the Mooney formators was asking about getting a valuation for their Mooney...

In this thread we discussed purchasing, financing, and insuring and other things...

This owner had the same question, but for a different reason... they have a few partners in the plane for many years... One of the partners is planning to leave, and the remaining partners need to buy out the one leaving...

Getting that fair price would mean a lot right now to all involved.

Jimmy, a couple of people sent your contact info to that person... so you may have received a call already...

Would be really cool to have a math model / app for that.  With an ask the pro option for more specific cases...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

An interesting point came up the other day...

One of the Mooney formators was asking about getting a valuation for their Mooney...

In this thread we discussed purchasing, financing, and insuring and other things...

This owner had the same question, but for a different reason... they have a few partners in the plane for many years... One of the partners is planning to leave, and the remaining partners need to buy out the one leaving...

Getting that fair price would mean a lot right now to all involved.

Jimmy, a couple of people sent your contact info to that person... so you may have received a call already...

Would be really cool to have a math model / app for that.  With an ask the pro option for more specific cases...

Best regards,

-a-

I did get an email asking for an appraisal. Haven't heard back yet. 

One step at a time on the app... Working on history, methods and data now. Just getting started though. Once done, I will think about delivery.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, rbridges said:

getting actual sales price would be great.  All I have access to are asking prices which may or may not be realistic.

The closest you'll get to actual sales prices will be the asking prices at AllAmerican. They move Mooneys so quickly that they are typically priced right to start with.

9 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The closest you'll get to actual sales prices will be the asking prices at AllAmerican. They move Mooneys so quickly that they are typically priced right to start with.

We try to price them right. Not having an emotional attachment to the plane, I believe, allows for a more objective approach to selling. There is an some art to it also. And there are some motivation issues that come into play. You have 'sell in one week' prices and 'sell in three months or more' prices (i.e. full boat retail). And there are sometimes prices between the two. Sometimes we get lucky. We just contracted the 7th or 8th plane this year that never hit the advertising cycle. So there are times when our planes don't contribute to the knowledge base.