McFarlane Throttle cable

On 11/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, Yetti said:

Are you sure that bolt is in the correct way?  maybe flip it over?

That was a good idea, I looked today to see if I could flip the bolt over but then I'll have an issue with my intercom which mounts directly below. 

You know how one things leads to another on airplanes?  Everything seems to turn into a project.

• 1 year later...

Coming late to this party because I'm working on installing new cables during my engine swing.  I'm confused by the notion of using a 3/4" because on mine (66' E) the throttle micro switch is clamped to the 1/2" housing and if I increase to 3/4" the switch would no longer mount to it unless I'm missing something.  

I'm planning on staying with 1/2" because I already have enough stuff to worry about and it seems this 1/2' throttle has lasted for 64yrs...long enough for me.

What did you end up doing and did it work?

Is engine swing what Siri thinks is an engine swap?

Or engine OH?

Or R&R the engine?

If going with a dimensional change... be sure of why you are doing that...

I can’t find any solid reasoning what is making this a good or bad idea...  other than some panels require it others do not.

Keeping what to you have makes sense in this case.... switching it for no known reason, sounds like it won’t fit when you go to install it...

The objective of owner produced parts is to get the same thing only newer...

If some improvements appear along the way... that clouds the OPP process...

Extra important when making these decisions...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, carusoam said:

Is engine swing what Siri thinks is an engine swap?

Or engine OH?

Or R&R the engine?

I'm not up to speed on aviation lingo yet.  In my day job industry (I'm an engineering leader at a diesel engine company) we say "engine swing" to indicate any time an engine is pulled from a chassis.   I see now that the engine can be the most value part of this vehicle so maybe I should use the term "air frame removal"?  lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow!
We have a few guys around here with trucking and industrial diesel experience....  some are responsible for large numbers of Diesel engines and trucks...

I saw an ad for a vehicle for sale... the Diesel engine had 6k hrs on it... And no signs of getting It replaced....  

we OH hours at 2k hrs... not sure how often a slow running 400HP CAT Diesel needs a rebuild..?

Often, In aviation, we use the words...

OH overhaul...

R&R remove and replace...

They have common legal descriptions... for aviation.

It briefly includes who has to do it, and what was included in the work...

Very often, around here.... a smart phone will sub in a word that just doesn’t fit in the sentence... without the writer knowing it...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Very often, around here.... a smart phone will sub in a word that just doesn’t fit in the sentence... without the writer knowing it...  :)

Used to happen a ,ot using two different (work) iphones and a mini ipad. Hasn't happened at all since going Samsung. I'm not looking back . . . .

• Like 1

I have a McFarlane throttle cable with the microswitch cutout made by them in my 62C. The barrel where the gear warning microswitch switch mounts is 1/2" I sent my old cable to them to replicate. It was a pretty painless process.

I agree, that it wouldn't take much to keep the specs to make them from, but this might be a touchy area being they are making a replacement part to your specs, and not a PMA'd part. 

7 hours ago, Lionudakis said:

I have a McFarlane throttle cable with the microswitch cutout made by them in my 62C. The barrel where the gear warning microswitch switch mounts is 1/2" I sent my old cable to them to replicate. It was a pretty painless process.

Same.  I sent in my original cables for my '68 F and they sent me exact replacements in about 2 weeks.  About $750 for the bunch.

IMG_4729.jpg

8 hours ago, Lionudakis said:

I agree, that it wouldn't take much to keep the specs to make them from, but this might be a touchy area being they are making a replacement part to your specs, and not a PMA'd part. 

They just recently got PMA approval for their throttle control, no longer need to install it as an owner produced part:

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/approved-va-throttle-new/

5 minutes ago, Rwsavory said:

I don't see Mooney on the approved list.  Am I missing something?

Can't say, they just announced these so I'd suggest checking with them.

I already installed one as an owner produced part a few years back. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:13 AM, carusoam said:

I saw an ad for a vehicle for sale... the Diesel engine had 6k hrs on it... And no signs of getting It replaced....  

we OH hours at 2k hrs... not sure how often a slow running 400HP CAT Diesel needs a rebuild..?

A modern ~15 liter Diesel engine is expected to run 20-25k hours before overhaul (1 million miles). 100k miles between oil changes in some fleets. They are a bit less sensitive to the power/weight ratio in my market than an airplane however. Lol

Edited by Nukemzzz
  • Like 1

Cool....

Similar to the quality of Mooneys... somebody posted pics of one before...

For conversation purposes... (I looked it up just now) It is a boat with a pair of these...   Caterpillar  Model:  3208TA  2300hrs on it...

It got 100hrs each year....

Oddly, with a boat... light weight is good... but, it is also ballast...

This thing Travels 10kts cruise, 20kts on plane...Very un-Mooney like...

Still Need a Mooney to go with a slow boat...  :)

Thanks for the details...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

So I ordered new cables direct for my 66’ E and SN and after 7 weeks they finally showed up. Today installing them I was reminded of this conversation above because the throttle cable they sent requires a 3/4” hole when it is currently 1/2” I believe. I have a similar fastener interference risk as the OP however my bolt is actually flipped and so I have a little more clearance.

Was just going to drill it out to 3/4” and hope it clears. 

Now I think I’m going to scribe a 3/4” circle intersecting the bottom of the old hole and then dremmel the hole out with the new centerline a little higher. 

Any update form OP?  Did the 3/4” work for you?

3 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

So I ordered new cables direct for my 66’ E and SN and after 7 weeks they finally showed up. Today installing them I was reminded of this conversation above because the throttle cable they sent requires a 3/4” hole when it is currently 1/2” I believe. I have a similar fastener interference risk as the OP however my bolt is actually flipped and so I have a little more clearance.

Was just going to drill it out to 3/4” and hope it clears. 

Now I think I’m going to scribe a 3/4” circle intersecting the bottom of the old hole and then dremmel the hole out with the new centerline a little higher. 

Any update form OP?  Did the 3/4” work for you?

It’s been a while, if I remember correctly we ended up using a Spruce cable that has 1/2” housing and cut the window for the gear switch.

• Like 1