On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Oldguy said:

@Jim Peace

Here is the info on the CO detector Dan now uses.

Everyone,

The folks at Sensorcon are willing to pass along a 20% discount to pilots on all of their products.  At checkout use the code below.  

http://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters

Discount code: aircraft2017

I'm building a device with CO2 detection plus other functions but after reading this I might just buy one so to be still alive and complete my project!

Do you guys have the basic model ($159)?

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

21 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Yes for $129 w/discount

Just ordered one with expedite shipping. For whatever reason this post freaked me out because yesterday I was talking to my mechanic to check the cabin heat. I have never used it since I got the Mooney...part of the good news is the CO2 sensor (the cheap $10 one...) has not indicated any leaks. Now I need the second part confirming the no-leak after actually pulling the cabin heat knob! I think I will ground check it first with the Sensorcon ON...;-)

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, FastTex said:

I'm building a device with CO2 detection plus other functions but after reading this I might just buy one so to be still alive and complete my project!

Do you guys have the basic model ($159)?

If for some reason you decide to build one...

Get a CO sensor, not a CO2 sensor...

The difference is huge. But, usually doesn’t come up when buying one that is fit for the purpose....

CO2 is what we exhale... it is with us in every breath we take...

Carbon monoxide is the bad one that comes from partially burnt fuel and likes to really stick to our red blood cells in place of O2...

Some things are too important to risk.  You don’t want to have a sensor that may or may not work over time....

I would prefer the factory built model over the home-built when it is that important...

I also follow the herd mentality... pick a good heard and be a follower... when the heard senses something wrong with the unit... you will be in the know... if you have a one-off you built... who is going to tell you that there is a problem with the sensor calibration?

CO sensors for the cockpit are extremely sensitive compared to home CO monitors... to build one for the airplane is going to take a whole lot of research...

there are plenty of good projects to build, where their failure is obvious, or won’t let you down...  nothing would be worse than paying to be protected, and not knowing it failed...

I see you have gone Sensorcon already...   good choice!

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

I also follow the heard mentality... pick a good heard and be a follower... when the heard senses something wrong with the unit... you will be in the know... if you have a one-off you built... who is going to tell you that there is a problem with the sensor calibration?

herd? :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The crowd i’m Following is really loud!  :)

-a-

(Anthony, I'm that last one qualified to be correcting spelling or typos... but 3 times in one line...B)

• Haha 1