Muffler crack

Anyone know the best place for a ball and socket type muffler for an M20E? Dawley quoted me a month to overhaul. 

Also, check your mufflers. I almost died today. Flying at 8000 with low cielings below my CO monitor started beeping. Ended up almost losing consciousness several times. Opened the door and window to try to get air. Was able to do an ILS and land but it was close.

7A8B32D8-601A-40A0-A74C-400690617C23.jpeg

I replaced mine a few years ago with one from Knisely Welding.  Theirs was a complete replacement, risers and all, but it was shipped immediately whereas noone else in the country had a muffler on the shelf and I didn't have time for an overhaul.  

A MS member had an annual on his M20E done at AGL last month. On day one Lynn always checks the muffler so that a repair/replacement if needed can be underway asap. The muffler was shot and repairs would involve at least 3 weeks. But PowerFlow had a system in stock and is was on the way next day air. The annual including several other repairs was finished the morning of day 4. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

A MS member had an annual on his M20E done at AGL last month. On day one Lynn always checks the muffler so that a repair/replacement if needed can be underway asap. The muffler was shot and repairs would involve at least 3 weeks. But PowerFlow had a system in stock and is was on the way next day air. The annual including several other repairs was finished the morning of day 4. 

Planning to go to AGL next year for annual btw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, charlesual said:

Wow!! Great job having an electronic CO2 warning device! Probably saved your life and a great reminder to anybody who doesn’t have one to get one. Do it now!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously. I would likely be dead now if not for that CO monitor. My wife would have been pissed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Jim Peace

Here is the info on the CO detector Dan now uses.

Everyone,

The folks at Sensorcon are willing to pass along a 20% discount to pilots on all of their products.  At checkout use the code below.  

http://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters

Discount code: aircraft2017

1 hour ago, Frozen Flying said:

Anyone know the best place for a ball and socket type muffler for an M20E? Dawley quoted me a month to overhaul. 

Also, check your mufflers. I almost died today. Flying at 8000 with low cielings below my CO monitor started beeping. Ended up almost losing consciousness several times. Opened the door and window to try to get air. Was able to do an ILS and land but it was close.

7A8B32D8-601A-40A0-A74C-400690617C23.jpeg

Would be interested in your max readings and for how long....1500 ppm?

First and foremost... glad to hear you are safely on the ground.  I needed everything from the exhaust mainfold back and got it from Knisley Exhaust.  I wasn't in a hurry, but I do recall it taking a while.  If I knew then what I know now, I might have sprung for the power flow exhaust and picked up a few HP's.

I have the Sensorcon Industrial Pro CO detector and can't say enough good things about it.  I now have it "panel mounted" with 3M sticky velcro.

2 hours ago, Frozen Flying said:

Holy crap!  Glad you are safe!  If you have portable O2, you might want to keep it handy tonight

@Frozen Flying, I'm so glad you made it down safely!  Another save from a CO detector. 

This is a good time to plug the detectors that are offering discounts. 

Guardian has offered a 20% discount on all their CO products.  It's very generous and may not last much longer. 

Code: coaware

Sensorcon makes an excellent portable and they still have the 20% discount code active.

Code: aircraft2017

I like redundancy so I have a Guardian, and 2 Sensorcons :)

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Frozen Flying said:

Vague memory of 240 or some number after i opened the door. The sensor was in the door strap handle.

Ok ,at that percentage (though not good)symptoms would be slight headache after 2 or 3 hours of exposure and death would be unlikely for typical E fuel duration flight.Glad you are ok

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Ok ,at that percentage (though not good)symptoms would be slight headache after 2 or 3 hours of exposure and death would be unlikely for typical E fuel duration flight.Glad you are ok

Yeah it was probably higher since I was about lights out. I’ve done the hypoxia simulator trainer in the Navy several times and this was felt about like that but with a headache added in.

That guy...

...Is DanM20C.

Spreading the word, a few pilots at a time...

That crack appears tiny... but the HAZ heat affected zone... tells a bit more about how the metal was behaving...

So if anyone hasn’t seen the crack... look closer to the weld line near the big reddish area...

Something to look for at annual.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

That guy...

...Is DanM20C.

Spreading the word, a few pilots at a time...

That crack appears tiny... but the HAZ heat affected zone... tells a bit more about how the metal was behaving...

So if anyone hasn’t seen the crack... look closer to the weld line near the big reddish area...

Something to look for at annual.

Best regards,

-a-

You wouldn't see that at annual, though, unless you cut open the muffler can.  It would be nice if there was a way to detect impending heater failure

@Frozen Flying, out of curiousity, do you use LOP or ROP for cruise?

Just found a near identical crack in my muffler at annual.  Got the same one month quote from Dawley.  Called AWI and had an overhauled exhaust less than two weeks later.  Best sending in risers too for jigging.  Mine ended up needing overhaul as well.  Quality seems really good and the fit was perfect.  

F39A1F2C-BBBF-4688-89A8-AA10D49D777E.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Frozen Flying said:

Yeah it was probably higher since I was about lights out. I’ve done the hypoxia simulator trainer in the Navy several times and this was felt about like that but with a headache added in.

I’m curious, did you shut heat off and continue to get CO?  You may want to check the heater box seals as well.  Many leak as they age and then you have no way of isolating.  When they leak, you feel heat year round....so added benefits in summer.

• Like 1