Avionics cover sealant

I'm looking for suggestions for sealant for things like the avionics bay covers.  In a search I noted plumbers' putty and some nondescript silicone putty as suggestions.  Anything definite?  Are there brands and places to get the silicone putty?  I was thinking about Gardner Bender duct sealing compound (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441)

The major issue I have with plumbers' putty is that I'd like to use it other places we have drafts in our cabins and I'm afraid it would dry out and cause issues down the road.

Thanks in Advance!

21 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

I'm looking for suggestions for sealant for things like the avionics bay covers.  In a search I noted plumbers' putty and some nondescript silicone putty as suggestions.  Anything definite?  Are there brands and places to get the silicone putty?  I was thinking about Gardner Bender duct sealing compound (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441)

The major issue I have with plumbers' putty is that I'd like to use it other places we have drafts in our cabins and I'm afraid it would dry out and cause issues down the road.

Thanks in Advance!

I have seen several of the RTV sealants used. I prefer to use RTV-167 but have seen people use RTV-108 without any issues with the aluminum surfaces.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/rtv-silicones/adhesives-/-sealants/

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I have seen several of the RTV sealants used. I prefer to use RTV-167 but have seen people use RTV-108 without any issues with the aluminum surfaces.

I'm hesitant on the RTV, because I want to be able easily to open the bays in the future...  Things like checking the hydraulic fluid, etc.

10 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Here ya go

THANKS!  I had seen it, but I couldn't remember what it was.

I'm still open to other options if they are out there, but at least I have a direction to go.

I love the MS community!

14 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

I am looking to solve the same problem.   @RLCarter does this stuff remain flexible and removable?  Thanks!

It does, it’s kinda messy to work with if your not careful, on the inspection covers in front of the windscreen there are channels & weep holes to drain condensation, care should be taken not to block them

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Deep God don't seal it. It has a rubber seal in it. Don't put goop in it, you have to open it every year. If the rubber seal is good you'll have no problems. Outside for 20 years without water getting in.

-Robert

I agree @RobertGary1, I too am not a fan of sticky goops.  But, my a/c is missing some of the rubber gaskets.   Are replacements or dimensions/materials available?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, cctsurf said:

I'm hesitant on the RTV, because I want to be able easily to open the bays in the future...  Things like checking the hydraulic fluid, etc.

Put a sheet of saran wrap on one side of the RTV and this will allow removal and reuse of the seal.  

• Like 2

That is the stuff I used. I cut all pieces to fit then carefully used permatex RIGHT STUFF BLACK let it cure and trim to clean up. I tested it with a garden hose and straight stream of water trying to get it to leak. No water got in. Only issue is when you stick it down make sure it's where you want it. It is a pain to relocate.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At Ace Hardw...  Airplane hardware store, I found some round 1/2" driveway crack expansion foam.   Used contact cement to put it in.   Seemed close to what the factory used.

This may be interesting.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-Premium-5-16-in-x-17-ft-White-Weather-Stripping-Tape-for-Medium-Gaps-10-Year-63628/100120472

This assumes you have the 1/2 "gutter" around the cover

Edited by Yetti

Slightly related- the aluminum skins that cover the instrument bay on my '67C have been removed so many times that they have serious scoring round the fastener holes from screws being turned against them without plastic washers.  Does anybody make those skins?  I would like to replace them if able.  Mine are Cessna white. 

Happy Veterans Day to all those who served!

8 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Slightly related- the aluminum skins that cover the instrument bay on my '67C have been removed so many times that they have serious scoring round the fastener holes from screws being turned against them without plastic washers.  Does anybody make those skins?  I would like to replace them if able.  Mine are Cessna white. 

Happy Veterans Day to all those who served!

Mine are counter sunk with counter sunk screws so they lay flat.   Are yours?

Here is a photo showing the problem with the instrument bay cover panel on my aircraft.  It is not pretty, but still works.  Some of the nut plates are very nearly stripped out and need replacement.  We now use nylon washers.   Does anyone have panels in better shape, ideally countersunk like @Yetti

worn_holes_instrument_bay_panel.jpg

Here is a photo showing the problem with the instrument bay cover panel on my aircraft.  It is not pretty, but still works.  Some of the nut plates are very nearly stripped out and need replacement.  We now use nylon washers.   Does anyone have panels in better shape, ideally countersunk like [mention=11450]Yetti[/mention]

worn_holes_instrument_bay_panel.thumb.jpg.cae33a393172d07a78d51d34b29f78b5.jpg

I think if you find someone who works in aluminum and has the necessary tool (brake) and skills, they can make one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Proper thickness alum sheet and 10 minutes with a table saw with a fence and the sheet on a piece of a plywood so it does not go under the fence.  If you can't find a brake.  Then use the old panel as a template to locate/drill the holes.   Or one of these.. https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

Mine also have a gutter for the foam to fit into and rivet nut plates to hold the screws.   Way more labor to do the older ones at the factory.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Here is a photo showing the problem with the instrument bay cover panel on my aircraft.  It is not pretty, but still works.  Some of the nut plates are very nearly stripped out and need replacement.  We now use nylon washers.   Does anyone have panels in better shape, ideally countersunk like @Yetti

worn_holes_instrument_bay_panel.jpg

Pretty basic sheet metal skills to build that piece.  If your maintainer can’t build one for you, ask any RV builder at the local EAA chapter.

Clarence