Hurricane Micheal damages to tied down Mooney

0TreeLemur

39 minutes ago, Johnnybgoode said:

Most interesting question yet in this thread.

Go out, get some altitude. Slow to near stall and shut down the engine so the prop stops. Accelerate to 100 MPH and see if the prop starts windmilling.

It is kind of like multi-engine practice with a single....

Then go do some touch and goes....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Having just lived through Hurricane Michael here in Panama City, and suffered a good deal of personal hardship and substantial property damage as a result, I can absolutely tell you that Igor speaks the truth.  Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know what they are talking about and lacks a certain degree of empathy. 

Michael went from a tropical storm down in the southern Gulf of Mexico to making landfall as the 3rd most powerful hurricane in U.S. history in 2 days, and one of them was a federal holiday. As much as I love Mooneys, yeah, there were other more important and pressing things to do than move your airplane. 

Jim

First, I really feel for you plight,  I honestly do.  We had the remains of a bad storm hit here, and I've never seen the like.  I can't even imagine one of those things with the rain and the storm surge.  I hope you and yours are OK, and that you have enough of the right kind of insurance to dig yourself out.  You're far braver than I. I'd not live in the path of one of those things.  We may have crap wx and be in the most unscenic part of the planet, but we don't get hurricanes.

All that said, I had a pretty good idea where that storm was going several days out.  There was a cone of uncertainty, but it was predicted to grow and make landfall pretty much how and where it did.  And there is no such thing as a benign hurricane.  They're all dangerous. 

20181010_055917.thumb.jpg.77babb0320fd6f8abd4d0d1deb71a180.jpg

I escape it! Granted I was already planning this trip, I was able to head to my brothers wedding a day early (otherwise my plane would have stayed in the path while I drove). Fort Rucker "closed" since the storm was about to hit. Ultimately I ended up in the path again after losing my generator :(

I see both arguments, ultimately we carry insurance for a multitude of reasons. I love this plane as my wife will attest to, but her and many life events are often a higher priority. If something were to happen to the aircraft it would suck, but again we have insurance. Those who have the freedom to move or fly whenever that's great! Having another pilot fly it is a novel idea too, different risks and methods for everyone. Insurance could dig into the volunteer pilot's logs and MAYBE show uncurrency or something to not pay out??Priorities are different for everyone the insurance covers all of us even if we don't or "can't" for our own reasons move the plane out of the way. 

Hopefully those who lost or had damage to their planes get back in the air soon! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

We’re all just guessing at the plight of this poor Mooney.  Until someone asks the owner the guesses will keep coming.

Clarence

C'mon, Clarence! That's what we do here.  That and thread drift.  We're really good at thread drift.  Recently we went from water in fuel to bullying in only one page!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Personally, I think the guy should've gotten his airplane out of the way of the hurricane.  Sorry, they're big slow moving things.  Should be able get a beloved airplane away from that.

I wonder if they would trailer it out if its not flyable. I suspect this Mooney hasn't flown in a long time.

-Robert

I am sure the idea seemed good, but spring lines like were tied are for boats with large expected storm surge.     Besides pulling the gear in it would also let the plane fly much higher in the air.  Spring lines are good for boats, not for airplanes.

Most of my youth was spent rescuing boats from the path of storms.  Only time we were allowed to miss school.

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2018 at 4:48 PM, M20Doc said:

We’re all just guessing at the plight of this poor Mooney.  Until someone asks the owner the guesses will keep coming.

Clarence

Lookit here!    From the narrative presented in this ALL CAPS EXPLANATION, a story emerges about why only two of the prop tips are damaged, and why there is damage to the nose gear doors.  

https://picclick.com/1968-Mooney-M20C-5633-Ttaf-201-Windshield-Belly-382823270915.html

A BARGAIN!!!  :unsure:

2 hours ago, Fred₂O said:

Lookit here!    From the narrative presented in this ALL CAPS EXPLANATION, a story emerges about why only two of the prop tips are damaged, and why there is damage to the nose gear doors.  

https://picclick.com/1968-Mooney-M20C-5633-Ttaf-201-Windshield-Belly-382823270915.html

A BARGAIN!!!  :unsure:

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A PLANNED GEAR UP LANDING TO REDUCE DAMAGE. AND IT STILL HAS MOST OF THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT CONTROLS! SOMEONE WILL BE THRILLED TO ACQUIRE THIS COOL N-NUMBER!! BID EARLY AND BID HIGH!

Edited by Hank
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hank said:

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A PLANNED GEAR UP LANDING TO REDUCE DAMAGE. AND IT STILL HAS MOST OF THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT CONTROLS! SOMEONE WILL BE THRILLED TO ACQUIRE THIS COOL N-NUMBER!! BID EARLY AND BID HIGH!

From the eBay advertisement text:

"IF YOU DON’T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS AIRPLANE AT FIRST GLANCE OF THE PICTURES, IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE. THE LONGTIME OWNER-PILOT OF THIS AIRPLANE HAD DIFFICULTY GETTING THE GEAR TO FULLY LOCK DOWN, SO HE DECIDED (RIGHTLY), THAT A PLANNED GEAR UP IS FAR SAFER THAN A POSSIBLE GEAR COLLAPSE ON ROLL-OUT."

It has a Johnson Bar.   Bar up = Gear down.   I guess this means that either the gear were out of adjustment or something interfered with the Johnson Bar going into the full upright and locked position?    Hmmmm.

Once, while ferrying my C to get some avionics work done with another pilot, who happened to be a Vietnam -era USAF veteran with lots of time flying C141's, 757s, and 767s, I put the gear down and the little green light didn't come on.   I said something stupid that rhymed with "So spit".   He calmly lifted his left index finger to the upright and locked J-bar and said "I don't think you have anything to worry about."    'nuf said.