MIcro-Mesh for window scratches

Lance Link

3 hours ago, Lance Link said:

Anyone ever use this stuff for light scratches on plexiglass?  Does it work well?  Is there anything better?  And, am I correct in assuming the tint goes all the way through the plastic and I won't grind through it with the abrasive?  Thanks!

I've used it.  They recommend against using it for spot treatment, it's intended to be used on the entire windshield at once, that way you don't cause optical aberrations.  Translation: it requires a LOT of elbow grease.  Figure one afternoon to do 4-6 successive grits, and another day for your arm to recover.

It does work pretty good, but the last grit is so fine that any little piece of dust or dirt ends up causing scratches, so you need to be irrigating the window with some water while you're using it.  You'll still need to buff the windshield afterwards with polish, like Novus #2

I use Micro-Mesh regularly. Some thoughts:

a) Removal of scratches requires significant sanding down of the plastic surface to a depth below all scratches.

b) Sanding needs to be done in an organized manner, over a wide area. Optical clarity requires a uniform surface, without low spots. 

c) The finer grit papers need to be used far more than it at first seems, as you need to remove all the micro scratches you just put there with the previous sanding. 

d) Use a lot of water as you sand. 

e) I use a BluePoint 3 inch buffer (snap-on) with wool pad and "Flitz" (the metal polish)  as a final finish. Done with skill, it results in world class clarity. Done without care and burns result. 

This heli is 17 years old and I've been able to keep the windscreens perfect, including sanding down through the minor crazing and polishing. No imperfections. 

heli_in_jacks_yard_resize.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, good tips on using the finest grade paper, doing the whole surface and not creating irregularities.  I don't plan on doing the windscreen, it's in good shape (may have been replaced), the side windows are just lightly scratched, probably from ham fisted cleaning over the decades.  I just did a major detail and cut and polish, and now these small scratches are glaring at me.

Side windows are so easy to replace, and low cost of materials...

replacement easily is more popular than doing all the labor and risking damage to the paint...

Windshield replacement requires a whole lot more... qualifications, knowledge, cost, and effort...

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

Side windows are so easy to replace, and low cost of materials...

replacement easily is more popular than doing all the labor and risking damage to the paint...

Windshield replacement requires a whole lot more... qualifications, knowledge, cost, and effort...

Best regards,

-a-

+1.  I replace side windows before I would spend the time to polish them.  Windshield is a different matter.  Lee

• Like 1