IPad / Foreflight Data Useage???

GLJA

I'm about to pick up an Ipad 9.7" Pro, with cellular data capability. Because I don't live in the US, Cell plans aren't exactly the cheapest item out there. So, in order to try and scrounge a few $$$, just wondering if anyone has the average data amount, FF would use on say, an hourly basis? 

Or, does anyone else have any other ideas on this? 

12 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

I'm about to pick up an Ipad 9.7" Pro, with cellular data capability. Because I don't live in the US, Cell plans aren't exactly the cheapest item out there. So, in order to try and scrounge a few $$$, just wondering if anyone has the average data amount, FF would use on say, an hourly basis? 

Or, does anyone else have any other ideas on this? 

Most likely very minimal. If you download all the charts, the only thing using cellular will be Metars, Tafs, and weather predictions. I doubt youd use more than 2 or 3 GB of data per month even if you flew a ton.

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It really only uses any significant data when it's downloading charts. Otherwise just getting radar or METARs doesn't seem to use much. But I can't put a number on it.

So, possibly using my cell phone (company plan... don't tell anyone), as a hotspot, and linking an ipad might be better off ?
Save some $$$  on the ipad for sure if it's not cellular. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CDNflyby said:

So, possibly using my cell phone (company plan... don't tell anyone), as a hotspot, and linking an ipad might be better off ?
Save some $$$  on the ipad for sure if it's not cellular. 

Thats what I'd do. to be completely honest, I never thought it was worth it getting internet for foreflight in the air.
I don't always get connection, so part of the time it makes it pointless. Stuff like the sentry IMO would be something
you're way better off, but canada hasnt done the entire ADSB thing yet or ever.

• Like 1

Just now, HXG said:

My Ipad pro 9.7 is currently using 12.5 GB. This is with a ton of documents and charts  etc. loaded for 16 states. Storage space should be a non issue. 

Not the storage space I"m worried about. It's the online/ flying useage. I'll upload everything when I'm on wifi. But, If I need something in the air, was wondering what the data amount would be. 

I have cellular capability on my iPad, but really never use it. I either connect to a Wi-Fi connection to download updated charts, file a flight plan, etc. or my Stratus for weather/traffic while in the air. It seems as if all of the FBOs where I fly have Internet access - even the smaller ones in a trailer. I know there are some who use Internet connectivity while in the air, but I never seem to get a good enough signal to consider it reliable.

• Like 1

Just now, CDNflyby said:

Good to know. I’ll probably skip the cellular data iPad then, and just connect it via hotspot on my phone if needed

Probably be sufficient.

I used to be able to use cell service when I had my 172, but flying about 50% faster seems to make it difficult to grab onto a tower long enough to register and connect.

4 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

Good to know. I’ll probably skip the cellular data iPad then, and just connect it via hotspot on my phone if needed

Make sure you get the cellular data IPad. do not get it without cellular. I mean as in the model. The regular Wifi models do not have GPS, while the Cellular models do. Just buy a cellular IPad and dont buy a data plan. You want the GPS. its a big plus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a WiFi only iPad. Rarely do I visit a FBO that doesn't have WiFi. In the rare cases I need it, I use my cell phone as a hot spot. I sure don't need it in the air either since TIS-B and FIS-b come via Bluetooth from my panel.

I could care less about the GPS in the cellular iPad. I wouldn't trust it for anything. My GPS source is coming from my waas IFR GPS panel or in an electrical emergency I'll use the portable waas source (gdl 39D). If it comes down to it, I still have a cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Make sure you get the cellular data IPad. do not get it without cellular. I mean as in the model. The regular Wifi models do not have GPS, while the Cellular models do. Just buy a cellular IPad and dont buy a data plan. You want the GPS. its a big plus.

+1

52 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Most likely very minimal. If you download all the charts, the only thing using cellular will be Metars, Tafs, and weather predictions. I doubt youd use more than 2 or 3 GB of data per month even if you flew a ton.

+1

25 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

Not the storage space I"m worried about. It's the online/ flying useage. I'll upload everything when I'm on wifi. But, If I need something in the air, was wondering what the data amount would be. 

Flying usage will never be a problem.  You won't get a decent signal during flight anyway.  Use WIFI to load up the charts and from there on out, its all about the GPS (or another WIFI connection to an ADHRS box like Stratus in flight).  Practically zero cell usage.  

Problem is you need the one with cell enabled to get the GPS (at least it did when I bought the iPad Mini 4).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

Nope.  As many have already stated, no cell-enabled model = no GPS.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I use a WiFi only iPad. Rarely do I visit a FBO that doesn't have WiFi. In the rare cases I need it, I use my cell phone as a hot spot. I sure don't need it in the air either since TIS-B and FIS-b come via Bluetooth from my panel.

I could care less about the GPS in the cellular iPad. I wouldn't trust it for anything. My GPS source is coming from my waas IFR GPS panel or in an electrical emergency I'll use the portable waas source (gdl 39D). If it comes down to it, I still have a cell phone.

Gotta disagree.  Do not use the EFB for anything other than information on which frequencies I should plan on preparing to use (COM, VOR, NDB) and approach plates (for plate information, not geo synchronization).

"Peanut gallery" comment, but I should point out many portable ADS-B receivers have a GPS receiver, and you can use that as the position source on your EFB.  Since this amounts to a $20 option on the Stratux, it's a reasonable alternative to using the tablet GPS (assuming your iPad will get GPS reception when sitting on your yoke).

We're not disagreeing @Ned Gravel . My plates with geosynchroning are on my GTN750 and I navigate off the default nav data on the GTN 650 and G500. The iPad is an EFB but can aid in situational awareness but isn't even first string in the electrical failure scenario because of the battery backed up panel instruments. My iPad is mostly used to keep track of Bravo and restricted airspace flying right seat. And even for that I am not trusting the cellular GPS without waas and error detection.

So if we both agree the device is not suitable for navigation, why do you advocate getting one with the cellular GPS?

I have seen too many people advocate using their iPad as a backup navigation and heard of many do it when something went bad even though their IFR GPS was still functioning just fine which just shows they need some partial panel training.

30 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Problem is you need the one with cell enabled to get the GPS (at least it did when I bought the iPad Mini 4).

Yep, that's part of how apple makes money. Then there's the whole memory ripoff, $100 for each step up the memory ladder.

Samsung puts GPS in all of theirs, including the $199 wifi-only model I'm typing on now. Memory ain't a problem, either, I slid in a 64GB card (paid $35 for two of them).

Here, drink some more Kool-Aid. It's really good.  ;)   :lol:

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yep, that's part of how apple makes money. Then there's the whole memory ripoff, $100 for each step up the memory ladder.

Samsung puts GPS in all of theirs, including the $199 wifi-only model I'm typing on now. Memory ain't a problem, either, I slid in a 64GB card (paid $35 for two of them).

Here, drink some more Kool-Aid. It's really good.  ;)   :lol:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A from Costco?  Fellow CB! :D

• Like 1

Looks like apple has trimmed their memory options.... down to two....a ton and bazillions.

1) having a GPS receiver in the iPad is good for many reasons... few are aviation related...

2) having a WAAS source in the plane sharing position is better than the internal GPS which loses reception when ducking out of the sun...

3) the iPad has a back-up... the iPhone...

4) the iPhone provides the cellular connection when needed.

5) MS via iPhone rocks! For a few minutes at a time...

6) if your company phone has unlimited minutes... you can watch inflight movies around piloto’s home drome !

Stuff I learned on MS...

Best regards,

-a-