Mooney M20C Purchase Air Mods

Pilotja5

On 11/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, Pilotja5 said:

I want to let everyone know, I had a terrific experience with Dave at Air Mods.  Bought a Mooney M20C from him, and had a terrific experience.  I also want to give a huge thanks to Brian at Orion Flight for the pre-buy.  Both were class acts and I would send anyone over to do business with them.  Dave took time to show us every aspect of the plane, including a check list of items he hand wrote about it and wanted us to know.  The flight was from N87 to KLWB to KEET went off rather smooth.  The plane was as advertised, great running, great airplane.  Even watched a beautiful sunset over the mountains of West Virginia.  I wanted to give kudos where needed, and I feel Dave and Brian both deserve it.  It was a pleasure.  Now time to enjoy the new Mooney, and enjoying my first Mooney purchase.  Thank you everyone for all your help!

Congrats and welcome to our rather exclusive and prestigious '68 C model owner's club ;).  It's a really great plane.   I'm actually surprised to see that your rudder is corrugated - I thought those didn't appear on any planes 'till 69, when they also went with a full length rudder. You may already be aware that the '68C has the distinction of being the last year they had the J bar and flush rivets on the wings for the C model.  They also improved the carb heat box design that year.  However the loss of the movable cowl flaps that year  was definitely not an improvement.  You'll see what I mean when you get your engine monitor put in.  

Word of warning, given that your bird appears pretty stock - upgrades can get pretty addictive - at least they did for me.  But that 50 year old plane can become an incredibly stable, modern IFR platform pretty easily. I hope people are still upgrading them 50 years from now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brandontwalker said:

How about catfish in Monroeville? Shrimp at Lulu’s at JKA? Burgers at The Hangar at KEKY? Propwash Cafe in Cullman? Pick one and we can do a Bama Mooney roundup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm . . .  Cullman sounds good. Or Lulu's. Just not this weekend. 

13 hours ago, DXB said:

Congrats and welcome to our rather exclusive and prestigious '68 C model owner's club ;).  It's a really great plane.   I'm actually surprised to see that your rudder is corrugated - I thought those didn't appear on any planes 'till 69, when they also went with a full length rudder. You may already be aware that the '68C has the distinction of being the last year they had the J bar and flush rivets on the wings for the C model.  They also improved the carb heat box design that year.  However the loss of the movable cowl flaps that year  was definitely not an improvement.  You'll see what I mean when you get your engine monitor put in.  

Word of warning, given that your bird appears pretty stock - upgrades can get pretty addictive - at least they did for me.  But that 50 year old plane can become an incredibly stable, modern IFR platform pretty easily. I hope people are still upgrading them 50 years from now.  

Thank you DXB!  Yeah I was surprised too.  It has the flush rivets.  This one had a gear up in the late 70's so that might be why the rudder is different.  Thank you for the information on the C.  I always love hearing how things were done.  I can't wait to get the engine monitor, etc put in.  The game plan is to put the engine monitor and an ADSB compliant Transponder in this year, then put in a Garmin 650 gps next year.  Hopefully after that, just maintaining a while.  

It is a great airplane.  It flew very stable and was a thrill to fly home.  I am happy to be a part of the club.  Let me know if you have any tips, etc!

20 hours ago, Hank said:

I'm at 41A, just across the river from work.

Wish there was somewhere decent to meet for lunch, but the only place I know around here with food in walking distance is Eufala [KEUF], and they don't serve breakfast on weekends. Anything up your way?

Hey Hank, look @Brandontwalker recommendations below.  Lets plan on it!  By the way Brandon, I am allowed in the Mooney fly in's now.  Sorry everyone inside joke when I owned a Grumman!

• 1 year later...