KFC 200 Auto Pilot - Servo issues

I feel your pain. Been there done that.

Given the extreme costs of maintaining a KFC200 that tends to want to break periodically at great expense for overhauls - smart money is to replace any broken King product with a new age digital autopilot almost upon us.

My hope is my king KFC200 will continue to work nicely for the next few months....so that I can preemptively replace it with the GFC500.

If I were in your boat, with a broken KFC200 today, and only maybe 2 months to go - I would hand fly for two months rather than throw good money after bad.

The G5 does provide the AHRS input to the GFC500 so you need at least one of them. The Aspen also needs a backup AI, which now can be a G5. What I don't know currently is if the Aspen can connect as an HSI or not. If so, that would be optimal. There wouldn't be a flight director output on the Aspen, though. It would be silly to have an Aspen that can't interface to an autopilot, so if it can't talk to the GFC500 then trading the Aspen for a pair of G5's or a G500 TXi might be up for consideration, but at much higher cost.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I purchased a freshly overhauled KS-270A with paperwork on eBay for $900 about 9 months ago.  Looked like new and works perfectly.  I'd look around a little before spending $3,500 on an overhaul.  We all hope Garmin and Trutrak will have their products available soon ... but, who knows?

Have you contacted Alan Fox to see if he has a replacement in stock?

Edited by CaptRJM
spelling

19 hours ago, CaptRJM said:

I purchased a freshly overhauled KS-270A with paperwork on eBay for $900 about 9 months ago.  Looked like new and works perfectly.  I'd look around a little before spending $3,500 on an overhaul.  We all hope Garmin and Trutrak will have their products available soon ... but, who knows?

Have you contacted Alan Fox to see if he has a replacement in stock?

Who is Alan fox? I checked on ebay and I can't find the exact part number I need unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, Northern Mooniac said:

Who is Alan fox? I checked on ebay and I can't find the exact part number I need unfortunately.

Alan Fox, aka The Grim Reaper, buys and sells used airplane parts and avionics. He has access to a lot of equipment from various model Mooneys and their associated avionics and instruments. I have personally bought several pieces from him and without hesitation will continue to do so.

To get in touch with him, throw out an @Alan Fox on MS.

55 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

Just look on the servo!  If you can't get your head in far enough to read the Data Plate then take a picture of it with your phone.

The p/n is actually on the plug of the servo which is a little closer.  You can also look it up in the Mooney IPC.

The p/n is specific to our Mooney's which is what makes them rare. Which model AP do you have? 

Ah, i see KFC-200, sorry I don't know the pitch servo p/n off hand on that one.

Edited by kortopates

16 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

My cousin just got a quote to put in a GFC-500 in his PA-28 .... When all was said and done it's just shy of $14 AMU.  Not quite the numbers I was expecting.

Does that include new servos?

Northern I had my trim servo overhauled a three years ago by a firm at the Calgary international airport ($800 cdn). Cant remember the name off hand, but it might be worth a few calls. Ive sold the plane since then so I dont have the data.  Northern Avionics (Springbank) sent it out for me, they would know.

After checking with him I misquoted the total cost. It’s more like $20K out the door. 2 servos, dual G5’s, GAD 29, and estimated labor to remove the old autopilot and install everything new including interface with his existing 480. 

9 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

After checking with him I misquoted the total cost. It’s more like $20K out the door. 2 servos, dual G5’s, GAD 29, and estimated labor to remove the old autopilot and install everything new including interface with his existing 480. 

That's a lot of money, but you get a lot for it, including a very capable, modern autopilot and almost-glass instruments.  

By comparison, installing an STEC-30 by itself is about $16,000, but without G5s or GPSS- and its 20+ year old technology.

• Like 1