Wintertime and CO levels

Danb

My CO2 detector goes off when the wind blows in the right direction.  It also goes off at times in the climb. In both cases (my case) it is due to a door seal in desperate need of replacement.    

• 2 weeks later...

I got to see @DanM20C at KOSH too!

We discussed all things about flying Mooneys including new ones... and got to talk plastics processing too!

There are a few Mooney guys that have a background in some really out there places... including....plastics.

Dan has acquired a lifetime of aviation and industrial safety experience.  Keep up the good work, Dan! :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/12/2019 at 12:54 AM, carusoam said:

Dan has acquired a lifetime of aviation and industrial safety experience.  Keep up the good work, Dan! :)

Thanks Anthony!  Unfortunately I have acquired the experience by crashing an airplane and losing a thumb in an industrial accident.  :(

Cheers,

Dan

• Thanks 1

Oops... Sorry Dan, I should of wrote that with a touch more thought... :)

I’m still extra glad you are here, and still sharing your insight.  

And delivering CO awareness to everybody... and CO Monitor information... and sensor calibration...

You made me think extra hard about those industrial things too...

The possibility of eliminating accidents takes on a whole new area when including GA...

We are currently pretty good at minimizing accidents... now, to keep moving towards the accident elimination goal...

Go Mooney Summit!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

My CO alarm sensor went off while in the run up area, for no reason other than a big business jet passed in front of me. It didn’t shut off when it was my turn to takeoff so I asked for taxi back to the run up area, opened the window and it went away after a few minutes, telling me it was the business jet that was polluting my cockpit and not my airplane. Don’t have the exact number as I’m still trying to get my CO value to display on my Garmin equipment, but it must have been a rapid rise at a high level. Glad I didn’t take off, but makes me think if other airplanes around you can pollute your cabin to the point where it might be hazardous for you to take off, and those without a monitor may never know?  Just some food for thought, and why I am still bent on knowing my CO numbers all the time. 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:18 AM, Mooneymite said:

I also get 15-30 during taxi.  Zero in flight.  I normally taxi with the door ajar and have always assumed the propeller wash on the ground caused the higher readings.

Yes, this- I think the CO is “coming in” through the vents and/or door... I see this on the ground as well with the windows/vents/door cracked.  Once I’m airborne, the CO is 0 on my amazon-purchased co meter (which has replaceable batteries... vice the sensor con, which I had before).  

58 minutes ago, JohnB said:

My CO alarm sensor went off while in the run up area, for no reason other than a big business jet passed in front of me. It didn’t shut off when it was my turn to takeoff so I asked for taxi back to the run up area, opened the window and it went away after a few minutes, telling me it was the business jet that was polluting my cockpit and not my airplane. Don’t have the exact number as I’m still trying to get my CO value to display on my Garmin equipment, but it must have been a rapid rise at a high level. Glad I didn’t take off, but makes me think if other airplanes around you can pollute your cabin to the point where it might be hazardous for you to take off, and those without a monitor may never know?  Just some food for thought, and why I am still bent on knowing my CO numbers all the time. 

Try walking around on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during flight operations... if it wasn’t for jet exhaust, you’d have nothing to breathe at all! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, M016576 said:

Yes, this- I think the CO is “coming in” through the vents and/or door... I see this on the ground as well with the windows/vents/door cracked.  Once I’m airborne, the CO is 0 on my amazon-purchased co meter (which has replaceable batteries... vice the sensor con, which I had before).  

The sensorcon has a replaceable battery (at least mine does).

Edited by 65C_flier

3 hours ago, M016576 said:

which has replaceable batteries... vice the sensor con, which I had before).

The sensorcon does have a replaceable battery, CR123A that can be purchased almost anywhere.  You need to remove the 4 screws on the back to access it.

Cheers,

Dan

• Thanks 1

When taxiing nose to tail with the Caravaners... you can get the CO alarm to come alive as well.

Proof how sensitive the sensors really are...

If you are in a no-wind situation in the run-up area... a good chance your alarm will also ring...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Seems like door seals are a common leak point for CO. I know my door seal needs replacing -- it's original from 1994. I'll fix it this winter when I do some interior work. But recently I started getting  readings on the Sensorcon of 50-60 ppm. I dressed the seal with some silicone grease and it went down to less than 5 ppm.

Skip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1