that's it!

flumag

After Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Iceland now Boston.

The charging system of my M20K was quitting at all of this places. Once the voltage regulator and twice the drive coupling of the alternator. Late last year my Mooney made a expensive 5 weeks vacation in Iceland since the clutch were gone. If I have would known that the refurbished drive coupling only last for less than 50 hours I would have gone for a brand new one right away. That's it! I will never use refurbished alternator clutches. The exchange at random exotic spots in the world is just to expensive an time consuming. It's not a saving at all.

I will also go for a backup alternator in my M20K. Since I "evacuated" the vacuum system I have a great spot for a B&C alternator and do not need to run a T drive. The new avionic current drain is around 30 amps  and with some shut down of redundancy such as Garmin GPS or Aspens I should be good on the backup alternator. At least for flying out...

What kills the alternator couplings?

Who has experience with a second alternator in a 14V K Mooney?

Hendrik

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_9650.JPG

IMG_9646.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

Hendrik,

B&C seem to be the supplier of choice...

Installed where the vac pump goes...

The dual voltage regulator might be from Zeftronics...

Fuzzy PP memories, not anything to rely on...

I’ll see if I can find some threads...

Best regards,

-a-

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=BandC&search_and_or=or

and...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=back-up alternator&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Anthony is right. B&C makes vacuum pad mounted standby alternators.  Don’t think it is STCd for the Mooney, but they can be field approved.  Recently got an approval for a customer in Europe on a TB20.  It seems to work quite well.

• Like 1

Hendrik,

What type of oil are you using?  It could be coincidental but I went through 2 alternator couplings while running Shell oil. Then switched to Phillips an have not had any problems the last 400 hrs of operation on my 14v K model. 

Geoff

On 11/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, takair said:

Anthony is right. B&C makes vacuum pad mounted standby alternators.  Don’t think it is STCd for the Mooney, but they can be field approved.  Recently got an approval for a customer in Europe on a TB20.  It seems to work quite well.

How much work is involved in installing one? I suspect you will need to wire in a standby master at a minimum. What else is involved?

Some things I have reviewed...

The back-up alt isn’t big enough to support the whole she-bang...

Some re-org to combine things on an essential bus... may be necessary.

Then a relay and CB to power the essential bus...

Take a look at the newer CB panel layouts for ideas related to the essential bus.

The wiring of electrical panel CBs is interesting because they have the fail safe methodology included in them...

A good hour’s work for an industrious Mooniac/EE?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

How much work is involved in installing one? I suspect you will need to wire in a standby master at a minimum. What else is involved?

It is not physically all that difficult.  The standby is self regulating and sensing.  There is an additional circuit breaker or two.  The owner bought one of the STC kits for another model and we just adapted to the TB20 airframe.  The field approval package was quite extensive, including a new flight manual supplement.  Their web site has most of what is needed...I think they even have sample Mooney field approvals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 10:36 PM, Geoff said:

Hendrik,

What type of oil are you using?  It could be coincidental but I went through 2 alternator couplings while running Shell oil. Then switched to Phillips an have not had any problems the last 400 hrs of operation on my 14v K model. 

Geoff

Interesting Geoff. I'm on Shell oil presently. I was flying Total before since I was more in Europe. Maybe I should consider a switch as well.

Hendrik

On 11/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, Marauder said:

well the second ALT is abit of work. You need to wire the alternator and the second voltage regulator. on top there is an annunciator light for too much current drain (20A). It also has an switch thats required to be close to the master switch that you can reach it with one reach. Most of the work is drawing and paperwork for the 337. I also had an load meter in for the battery but modified the EDM 900 with an additional shunt to see the current draw from the second alt. this was cheaper that change the Aerspacelogic VA200K to a VA202K (http://www.aerospacelogic.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=20). Beside that Aerospacelogic doesn't had an upgrade program or similar thing.

Hendrik

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

• Like 1

well the second ALT is abit of work. You need to wire the alternator and the second voltage regulator. on top there is an annunciator light for too much current drain (20A). It also has an switch thats required to be close to the master switch that you can reach it with one reach. Most of the work is drawing and paperwork for the 337. I also had an load meter in for the battery but modified the EDM 900 with an additional shunt to see the current draw from the second alt. this was cheaper that change the Aerspacelogic VA200K to a VA202K (http://www.aerospacelogic.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=20). Beside that Aerospacelogic doesn't had an upgrade program or similar thing.
Hendrik
IMG_5270.thumb.JPG.b1e58dd343b87c6dcc3a98d63f1790a4.JPG
IMG_1451.thumb.JPG.d60a84f24dc7c2fd683ff9e0fd1781fc.JPG

How are the current load drawing items handled? In a home application, the generator is set up to run specific items off of a smaller panel of essential equipment. Is this how it is set up for a plane? Or do you need to pull breakers for the items you don’t want running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

How are the current load drawing items handled? In a home application, the generator is set up to run specific items off of a smaller panel of essential equipment. Is this how it is set up for a plane? Or do you need to pull breakers for the items you don’t want running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Chris,

it's also on the main bus. You basically have to reduce the load to stay in the range of the standby alternator (certified for 20A but can deliver over 30A) . The standby alternator has a fuse of 40A and indicate  (flashing) overdraw current above 20A. You basically switch of avionic until you are below. it should not make it necessary to pull fuses. My normal current use is around 30A. (no pitot or prop heating of course).

Hendrik

• Like 1

Hi Chris,
it's also on the main bus. You basically have to reduce the load to stay in the range of the standby alternator (certified for 20A but can deliver over 30A) . The standby alternator has a fuse of 40A and indicate  (flashing) overdraw current above 20A. You basically switch of avionic until you are below. it should not make it necessary to pull fuses. My normal current use is around 30A. (no pitot or prop heating of course).
Hendrik

Thanks for the explanation Hendrix. Sounds like this approach should simplify the installation of the standby alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro