Chuck Yeager turns 95

Back in '05 I think, my wife and I were at Oshkosh wandering around the warbirds first thing in the morning. I looked over and said "Hay, that's Chuck Yeager's P51" and then "And that's Chuck Yeager standing next to it". He was having a conversation with someone so I didn't interrupt him. It was cool seeing him up close.

We flew to Edwards AFB in '02 to see him break the sound barrier on the 55th anniversary of the event. Considering the amazing sonic booms I heard as a kid in Florissant, MO in '62, this one was wimpy. Dropping a tennis ball would have made more noise. He did it at 15000 ft. Should have done it at 1000 ft. It doesn't count if it doesn't break something.

38 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

My CFI has flown with him before back in they day. Say's he is a mean SOB

I've heard the same thing, but never met him in person.

I met Bob Hoover, though.  He was one of the nicest people I've ever met in aviation.

• Like 1

I've heard people say downright hateful things about the guy. I don't care how he is as a person, he shot down Germans and put his life on the line repeatedly for our way of life. I deal with high performing individuals frequently and I think being a mean SOB is a common trait among people who are good in their field. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Antares said:

I'd bet if Yeager were senile and crazy that he could still fly any GA aircraft without issue, aside from maybe getting lost. 

You got that right!There was a howling xwind at Hiltons and he put down on 1 wheel so smoothly I hardly felt it...when I complimented him on nice landing...he says "we ain't done yet!"

• Like 1

I saw General Yeager speak at a black tie event in 2003 in Washington DC where he was honored.

Afterward i asked him what advice he had for a student pilot with 25 hours.  He said “Son, when I was your age I was shooting down Nazi’s of Europe!”

He was also flanked by his wife and another aide at all times as they were protecting him from stating inappropriate things.  He could still give a rehearsed speech and presentation, but it was clear that he was having issues even then mentally.

I never had the chance to meet Bob Hoover.

Happy Birthday Chuck!

-Seth

• Like 1