Paint or interior first

Frank B.

I am getting ready to upgrade my panel, major changes, completely redo the interior as well as new paint. The plane has already been completely stripped of all old paint and the control surfaces reinstalled for ferry. Which order would you do the above? I am thinking, 1. Avionics, 2. Interior 3. Paint. Anyone know of any reason it would be advantageous to do it in a different order?

Thanks, Frank

25 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

I am getting ready to upgrade my panel, major changes, completely redo the interior as well as new paint. The plane has already been completely stripped of all old paint and the control surfaces reinstalled for ferry. Which order would you do the above? I am thinking, 1. Avionics, 2. Interior 3. Paint. Anyone know of any reason it would be advantageous to do it in a different order?

Thanks, Frank

It might depend on whether you're doing all three within a few months, or all three within a couple of years. I might be more inclined to do the exterior first if it meant that the plane wouldn't be flying around naked for an extended period. 

If you're doing all three "at once," then I'd proceed as you suggested. Avionics, then interior, then paint. 

Depending on how bad the interior is, that might be first. This plane had less than 10 hours in it in the past 15 years. Paint is a 6/10, interior was much lower. 

Seats and carpet were redone. Seat pans were cracked and had to be repaired. Wish timing was in my side, and saw a few interior seats on here for sale at the same time. Might have saved me a couple grand just to scrap and swap. 

Aside from that, panel is next. I am in the process of vinyl wrapping the wing tips and side stripes for a color change. It’ll keep me happy for years, while I pay off the rest of this. Haha

29F94DEC-6761-402D-B82C-8911FFD4325A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mooney-Mark said:

Logic would call for avionics first but nothing makes you feel better than a nice new paint job on your aircraft!

Maybe I'm a bit Vulcan here... but this would only seem true if you spend more time with your airplane while it's on the ground rather than flying it. All I want to do is fly my Mooney. And when flying, I don't see the paint, but I do see and use the panel during every single second of the experience. So to me, nothing is quite as satisfying as a modern panel with all the bells and whistles. I only see the paint, climbing in and out of the plane. 

Having said that, I'm looking forward to putting a new paint scheme on my Mooney... but not until I've completely run out of other things to do with it. 

• Like 4

seeing how you have already removed the paint and live on the Florida coast I would go PAINT (or at least primer to protect it), PANEL and INTERIOR. If the funds are set aside do it all at the same time and save time (labor) installing and removing things several times. Paint is generally done last so it doesn't get screwed up when the other work is done.

Building a forever plane..?

1) start with the core and work your way out...

2) stripping things can dissolve a lot of other things... tanks first.

3) getting antennae mounted and wires run takes the insides out...

4) strip tanks and put back...

5) add new fuel gauges and instrumentation.

6) add panel and support radios on the back shelf.

7) swap out windows 

8) cowl mods

9) paint last...

10) Discuss continuously with the shop doing the work... we have two good shops that have detailed a lot of this type of experience...

MS ideas collected...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

As long as your interior is comfortable and not soiled in dog shit,

panel number one immediately followed by paint. Throw some lamb skin or a “wild cherry girl” seat cover over your seats. Then eventually find a fresh set of seats online.