Leaking exhaust

Pritch

Out flying the other day and my CO detector starting going off, 9 part per million, and notice when coming into the pattern that I just couldn't get my N# right.  After landing and going to have lunch, came back and pulled the cowl and saw 2 areas where it was leaking.  Talked to the I/A and we pulled the exhaust the next day and sent it off for repair.  The shop that the I/A had been using was 3 months backlogged, so after calling around to a few places he sent it off to Aerospace Welding in Minneapolis.  Anyone here ever used them.

Pritch

84 M20K

exhaust.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

Out flying the other day and my CO detector starting going off, 9 part per million, and notice when coming into the pattern that I just couldn't get my N# right.  After landing and going to have lunch, came back and pulled the cowl and saw 2 areas where it was leaking.  Talked to the I/A and we pulled the exhaust the next day and sent it off for repair.  The shop that the I/A had been using was 3 months backlogged, so after calling around to a few places he sent it off to Aerospace Welding in Minneapolis.  Anyone here ever used them.

Pritch

84 M20K

exhaust.jpg

9 ppm should have no cognitive effects. Was there something else going on?

7E567694-65BF-47D2-B384-00DEFF43FA15.gif

I once had the muffler on my M20F split open. It had a 1/8 inch wide split about 3 inches long. 

I was on a 2 hour IFR trip. When I arrived at my destination I had a severe headache, nausea and my eyes were very sensitive to light. I didn’t suffer any confusion or cognitive problems. 

I realize, like hypoxia, people’s reactions are different. It took me 3 days to fully recover. It was like a bad hangover that wouldn’t go away.

Exhaust leaks and turbos are a more dangerous combination...

1) cognitive challenges are one part...

2) higher pressure in the exhaust stream before the turbo can lead to a blow torch event under the cowl...followed by a loss of MP...

There are a few references for AW...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Aerospace welding&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-