Don't be "that" guy

Robert C.

From the annual NATCA awards for controllers who distinguished themselves

Northwest Mountain Region

Christopher Bancroft and Jacques Mailloux (Broomfield Jefferson County ATCT, BJC); Jeffrey Rawson (Salt Lake City ATCT, SLC)

A Mooney called ground control for taxi clearance, but something was obviously not right. It took teamwork to avoid disaster, as this NATCA video shows 

. (Thankfully, it is rare that controllers must save a pilot from himself.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Jesus. Imagine if this was at an uncontrolled airfield.
doubt he would have made it far after takeoff.
additionally what are the consequences of this happening to
someone compared to a regular DUI. just curious if anyone knows.

Holy Moly!  .203 BAC?  I had to look that up...at my weight of 215lbs...thats 12 drinks.  I don't think I have had 12 drinks sinks sophomore year of college and I was toast - and puked like crazy and...never drank that much again.

...and thinks he is going to go flying?

..Two - Eight - Victor.

26 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Holy Moly!  .203 BAC?  I had to look that up...at my weight of 215lbs...thats 12 drinks.  I don't think I have had 12 drinks sinks sophomore year of college and I was toast - and puked like crazy and...never drank that much again.

...and thinks he is going to go flying?

..Two - Eight - Victor.

That's 10-15 drinks if you drink them within 1 hour.  Figure law enforcement had him blow at least an hour after his last drink, so if he drank over the span of a few hours, or if he waited a couple hours after his last drink, he may have been in the 15-20 drink range.

That's not cool.

Pilot is painful to listen to - I hope there's at least a remotely sympathetic back story for him here. When I started listening, I was wondering if the guy was having a stroke or something and needed urgent medical aid.  Great professionalism by the controller - I imagine same question crossed his mind.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That's 10-15 drinks if you drink them within 1 hour.  Figure law enforcement had him blow at least an hour after his last drink, so if he drank over the span of a few hours, or if he waited a couple hours after his last drink, he may have been in the 15-20 drink range.

That's not cool.

He must have been very thirsty.

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

There is no way it was a Mooney pilot. We all know no Mooney pilot would spend that much on booze to get that drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You are absolutely correct, somebody must have been buying him drinks...

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Wow. Well done ATC. Can’t even say his call sign or repeat a simple taxi instruction. I frequent KBJC. Scary. Probably not the first time he has been piloting an airplane or driving a car impaired. I hope this guy gets help but never flies again. 

Edited by HXG

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

There is no way it was a Mooney pilot. We all know no Mooney pilot would spend that much on booze to get that drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know a guy who drinks like that.  He's not a pilot but he is as cheap as any Mooney owner.  He buys 1.75L bottles of Fleischmann's vodka by the case, It works out to about $7 a litre.   I have never seen a human being consume alcohol the way he does except for Jim Morrison in the movie the doors.  Well over a litre a day via Dasani water bottles.  It does not shock me that someone who can walk and talk (barely) would get into an airplane.  Hardcore Alcoholics over estimate their ability to operate impaired because they have to in order to operate. If they didn't, they'd never leave the house.   What's scarier than the likelihood that he drove to the airport is the absolute likelihood that he has flown under the influence before.  

Edited by Shadrach