Strange tire wear?

INA201

I have a weird tire wear situation here in the south. 

So, I’ve got a real slow leak in my left main. It takes all of a couple of weeks to lose 5lbs of pressure. Anyway, do you guys think inadvertent low pressure would cause this? Pic one is right main(Normal). Pic two is left main(the inside of the tread is evenly worn off).  Any other ideas?

2D8D3615-AF5C-4E50-A519-D28F543B3EA8.jpeg

ED0F2884-ACD5-44D0-9CE3-AF9737A0FD74.jpeg

16 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Would that happen to be a retread?

Looks like the inner tread just pealed off.

It's not a retread but it is possible I've run a few times with slightly low pressure.  I must've missed the wearing of this tire due to the even wear on the innermost part.

13 minutes ago, bonal said:

Looks like pic one is the left with the unusual wear. Such a slow leak I would check the core of the valve. Are you sure you haven't been doing some laps at the near by NASCAR track being from the south.:P

Thanks,  I will check the valve and probably replace the tire.  I just don't want it to repeat.  HAHA on the NASCAR, I just race the occasional Cirrus and whatnot.

• Like 1

That would wear out the center of the rear tires...

dragging the front tires around the corners wears off the edges...

Any feeling of dragging to one side?

Any high g turns loading up that edge ?

Our mains are over center by a bit and don’t Set evenly on the ground...

This might be a function of landing gear set-up...

Asking Clarence might be helpful on this gear set-up question... @M20Doc

Or it could be time to rotate from left to right, or flip it around?

PP thoughts only... by the time mine are worn that much the flat spots are showing threads...  a clutch problem I’m sure...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

A underpressure would cause the edges of the tire to wear.   Over pressure causes the center to wear more.  The mooney mains does not really have a good caster and camber.  My left gear does not sit "right", but it is.   You may also fly solo and keep more gas in the left tank.   That much of a air leak should be looked after.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

Check the ball position on the Turn Coordinator on the ground. On my M20J it was showing a slight right inclination (ball to the right). Replaced the gear donuts and the ball TC recentered and the tires wear was even on all sides.

José   

Edited by Piloto

Since 2000 I've owned 2 Ovations and previously a M20E,  and I always understood the (L) tyre (tire) would  wear both more and unevenly because of the torque loading during takeoff.  They were always rotated during the annual inspection and seemed to last forever.

I never quite understood just how much torque was involved untill I aborted a takeoff at 50 kts, and the immediate effect of the torque removal while the rudder trim was set hard right caught me off guard and was really scary.

• Like 1