Wing walk fuel tank inspection panel removal

nels

i Thought this might be something everyone here might want to check out? 

Yesterday, while playing around with my airplane, I noticed the aileron on the right side would not travel very far towards the up position when moving it at the wing by hand. It was obviously hitting a stop of some sort. I got in the plane and tried using the controls. I was able to get it to move but heard a loud pop and then things seemed ok except I could hear metal on metal under the wing near the fuselage. I had my cousin get in the plane and work the yoke right to left while I was under the plane. I quickly found the problem. One screw in the leading wing to fuselage filler panel was rubbing the aileron control rod. So much so that it had fatigue cracked the panel next to the screw. I removed that screw and no more rubbing noise. That screw had been replaced by a larger one (see photo) and I assume it needed replacing because the original smaller screw was also hitting the rod until that threaded hole was worn out. I then removed the filler panel to get a better look. There is a thick piece of felt that is probably supposed to keep the control rod away from the sheet metal and possibly if the screw is short enough the tip may not protrude through and touch the rod. Although in my case it did. Actually that screw is located in precisely the wrong spot. Moving it an inch either forward or back looks like it would have resolved the problem. I could see someone chasing the continual lose screw with a larger one and finally create a potential real problem. From what I could see from the underside with the filler removed, the control rod has a change in section or a weld joint that catches the screw.

This may not be a problem on your plane but if you have a stripped or missing screw in this location I would think this might be the reason. I’m just going to leave that screw out for now. I did note it with a marker so next annual it doesn’t get replaced with a new even larger one.

Pictures show original and replacement larger screw, location of screw in filler panel and crack in panel next to screw.

Don't see a photo, but no problem as I am very familiar with this common issue where too long of a screw is hitting the aileron control tube as it moves back and forth/ up & down over the lower inspection plate by the leading edge as the yoke rotates. There are a couple screws that need to be real short on the inspection plate, just long enough to screw into the tinnerman nut without protruding above. Rather than use a thicker screw, the tinnerman nut should have been replaced. Failure to miss this and allowing it to stay in service for too long with the screw wearing against the surface of the tube has resulted in many owners needing to replace the tube. The tubes aren't very thick.  

I could be referring to a different location as I am not sure where you are referring too with the reference to the wing fuel tank inspection panel since the ailerons control tubes don't pass through any wetted sections and the common clearance issues are in the lower inspection panels on the pilot side. Nor can I tell your model Mooney.  

Edited by kortopates

5 hours ago, kortopates said:

Don't see a photo, but no problem as I am very familiar with this common issue where too long of a screw is hitting the aileron control tube as it moves back and forth/ up & down over the lower inspection plate by the leading edge as the yoke rotates. There are a couple screws that need to be real short on the inspection plate, just long enough to screw into the tinnerman nut without protruding above. Rather than use a thicker screw, the tinnerman nut should have been replaced. Failure to miss this and allowing it to stay in service for too long with the screw wearing against the surface of the tube has resulted in many owners needing to replace the tube. The tubes aren't very thick.  

I could be referring to a different location as I am not sure where you are referring too with the reference to the wing fuel tank inspection panel since the ailerons control tubes don't pass through any wetted sections and the common clearance issues are in the lower inspection panels on the pilot side. Nor can I tell your model Mooney.  

Sorry, Paul. I was trying to post the fuel tank inspection panel post but it ended up reposting my post from several weeks ago. I had to finally erase the old post before I was able to repost...if that makes any sense. 

3 minutes ago, nels said:

Sorry, Paul. I was trying to post the fuel tank inspection panel post but it ended up reposting my post from several weeks ago. I had to finally erase the old post before I was able to repost...if that makes any sense. 

Oh ok, no worries,