Panel/aircraft pics requested

oregon87

Hell all-

I'm hoping some of you proud Mooney pilots can help with a request.  We're looking for a few before/after panel pics of CGR-30P, CGR-30COMBO installations for upcoming marketing material.  We could also use some great pics showing your Mooney in flight.  If we choose to use your pic, we would be happy to offer a discount on a future purchase.  Please PM me with any questions, or forward pics to support@buy-ei.com.

Thank you!

Hell all-
I'm hoping some of you proud Mooney pilots can help with a request.  We're looking for a few before/after panel pics of CGR-30P, CGR-30COMBO installations for upcoming marketing material.  We could also use some great pics showing your Mooney in flight.  If we choose to use your pic, we would be happy to offer a discount on a future purchase.  Please PM me with any questions, or forward pics to support@buy-ei.com.

Thank you!

Timing didn’t work out for a full EI engine analyzer and I ended up with a JPI 900 It has been back to them 3 times for service issues and a couple other times for upgrades.

My EI stuff keeps on rolling along...

b7b313f4e76de455a4b548c94c41f9a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Timing could work really well...

1) I have an Ovation. I qualify for Proud Mooney owner...

2) I currently need an OilT instrument to replace the ship’s tired primary sensor/gauge.

3) I am looking to update from a JPI 700... Similar size and same panel location.

4) I propose installing a CGR that can do what my JPI700 does, that also can do OilT (primary).

5) I am retired, my full time job is taking care of this fabulous machine on a tight budget...

6) How does your timing look?  Want to get this finished this week?

7) I would really like to write about my EI experience... 

Which CGR model would have the primary OilT?  Or would I need to go MVP for that?

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Timing could work really well...

1) I have an Ovation. I qualify for Proud Mooney owner...

2) I currently need an OilT instrument to replace the ship’s tired primary sensor/gauge.

3) I am looking to update from a JPI 700... Similar size and same panel location.

4) I propose installing a CGR that can do what my JPI700 does, that also can do OilT (primary).

5) I am retired, my full time job is taking care of this fabulous machine on a tight budget...

6) How does your timing look?  Want to get this finished this week?

7) I would really like to write about my EI experience... 

Which CGR model would have the primary OilT?  Or would I need to go MVP for that?

Best regards,

-a-

We can certainly display oil temperature on the CGR-30P Premium as a primary function that will replace the factory gauge.  We may be able to offer a trade-in rebate for that EDM700, as well.  Do you have any pics of your plane in flight that you would like to share?  

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Timing didn’t work out for a full EI engine analyzer and I ended up with a JPI 900 emoji24.png It has been back to them 3 times for service issues and a couple other times for upgrades.

My EI stuff keeps on rolling along...

b7b313f4e76de455a4b548c94c41f9a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Very happy to read about your satisfaction with our instruments.  I hope you get the issues resolved with your EDM900 and it offers you years of trouble free service!  If it doesn't... :-D

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 1

I have photos of every gage on my panel in flight, and would like to upgrade to a full monitor with primary gages for EGT, CHT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Carb Temp. Would be nice to add fuel flow. Fuel level too, Left and Right? OAT? I'm not ready to go digital on Manifold Pressure or RPM yet?

Am I broke yet, between purchase and install? B)

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

I have photos of every gage on my panel in flight, and would like to upgrade to a full monitor with primary gages for EGT, CHT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Carb Temp. Would be nice to add fuel flow. Fuel level too, Left and Right? OAT? I'm not ready to go digital on Manifold Pressure or RPM yet?

Am I broke yet, between purchase and install? B)

RPM is always included on the CGR-30P, as is EGT and CHT.  You choose the next five primary functions.  In your case, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Flow, left fuel and right fuel.  Carb temp and OAT can be displayed on the secondary page as optional non-primary functions ($94.00 each).  

I would own EI instead of JPI if you had a comparable product to the EDM-900. 

The MVP-50 competes very nicely with the EDM-930. But requiring two instruments the CGR-30P and C to match the one instrument in the EDM-900 doesn't work. 

Give me a small screen version of the MVP-50 that is primary for all factory gauges and I'll swap out my EDM-900.

• Like 1

This is my CGR30 Premium installed couple of years ago that replaced all engine instruments except 2 fuel level gages.

I'll update with new  Al panel in a month with ADS-B transponder and FL gage with ADF and engine 6 pack removal.

Not sure why, but EI does not have a certified Fuel gage instrument.

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Edited by Igor_U

19 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would own EI instead of JPI if you had a comparable product to the EDM-900. 

The MVP-50 competes very nicely with the EDM-930. But requiring two instruments the CGR-30P and C to match the one instrument in the EDM-900 doesn't work. 

Give me a small screen version of the MVP-50 that is primary for all factory gauges and I'll swap out my EDM-900.

The CGR-30COMBO package has been very popular as most aircraft owners are electing to remove the existing tach and manifold pressure gauges, among others.  Removing those two gauges opens up the required 3-1/8" holes and the CGR's are flush mounted and do not overlap the panel.  You can replace up to 15 primary instruments in two 3-1/8" instruments, including fuel level at no additional charge, choose 6 discreet annunciators (gear position, fuel pump status, pitot heat status, landing light status, etc) and take advantage of the customizable digital checklists.  There really is a lot to like about the CGR-30COMBO and I'm sorry to read that you don't feel that it will work well for you.

9 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

This is my CGR30 Premium installed couple of years ago that replaced all engine instruments except 2 fuel level gages.

I'll update with new  Al panel in a month with ADS-B transponder and FL gage with ADF and engine 6 pack removal.

Not sure why, but EI does not have a certified Fuel gage instrument.

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Great pics and thank you for sharing!  Fuel level is certified primary on the CGR-30P, CGR-30C and MVP-50P.  Years ago, we developed our FL-1/FL-2 legacy gauges and due to liability at that time, it was decided to not seek certification do to the amount of accidents caused by fuel starvation.  It's not to say that it is due to the accuracy of our instruments, it was all about avoiding litigation.  We may revisit certifying those at a later date, or replace them with a newer design.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

The CGR-30COMBO package has been very popular as most aircraft owners are electing to remove the existing tach and manifold pressure gauges, among others.  Removing those two gauges opens up the required 3-1/8" holes and the CGR's are flush mounted and do not overlap the panel.  You can replace up to 15 primary instruments in two 3-1/8" instruments, including fuel level at no additional charge, choose 6 discreet annunciators (gear position, fuel pump status, pitot heat status, landing light status, etc) and take advantage of the customizable digital checklists.  There really is a lot to like about the CGR-30COMBO and I'm sorry to read that you don't feel that it will work well for you.

It would work for me just fine except that it's more that $1000 more for the two instruments required to equal the one instrument from JPI. 

EI and JPI match each other product for product and price for price. And wins every time in my opinion.  Except that JPI has an advantage with the price point of the EDM-900 over buying the CGR30COMBO. And the two instruments take up more room than the JPI as well.

I do think EI has better products and much better customer service and tech support. And no disrespect to the CGR30Combo but it doesn't compete directly with the EDM-900 which in my tight Mooney panel is a better fit and at $1000 cheaper, a better choice for me.

17 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It would work for me just fine except that it's more that $1000 more for the two instruments required to equal the one instrument from JPI. 

EI and JPI match each other product for product and price for price. And wins every time in my opinion.  Except that JPI has an advantage with the price point of the EDM-900 over buying the CGR30COMBO. And the two instruments take up more room than the JPI as well.

I do think EI has better products and much better customer service and tech support. And no disrespect to the CGR30Combo but it doesn't compete directly with the EDM-900 which in my tight Mooney panel is a better fit and at $1000 cheaper, a better choice for me.

Thank you for your kind words.  We certainly enjoy what we do and appreciate all the feedback we receive.  We feel the CGR-30COMBO does compete very well.  Especially when you consider the additional functions included with the Combo package.  If you compare current pricing, including rebates, the difference is closer to $400.00.  While the CGR is a bit more expensive, we offer far more functions.  Having just spent almost $300 on a new altitude encoder, $400.00 for a bunch of primary gauges doesn't seem so bad.  :)  It's all about perspective, and we each have our own.  

When you installed the EDM900, did you not remove most of your existing instrumentation?  If not, was it by choice?  I'm curious why you believe you would not have the space to install two 3-1/8" gauges when those holes are typically available in the panel.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by oregon87

6 hours ago, oregon87 said:

Great pics and thank you for sharing!  Fuel level is certified primary on the CGR-30P, CGR-30C and MVP-50P.  Years ago, we developed our FL-1/FL-2 legacy gauges and due to liability at that time, it was decided to not seek certification do to the amount of accidents caused by fuel starvation.  It's not to say that it is due to the accuracy of our instruments, it was all about avoiding litigation.  We may revisit certifying those at a later date, or replace them with a newer design.  

Four things to consider...

1) a few of us have a block of instruments in the six-pack arrangement... similar in size of the JPI900... M20C to M20R at least...

2) my current MP and RPM gauges are smaller diameter compared to standards of history... cool digital devices driving analog needles...

3) Many of us are converting to Cies digital fuel level sensors... using frequency... 1 gallon accuracy is really compelling. A digital monitor is a requirement...

4) An EI gauge in the shape of my existing six-pack covering these... FL-L, FL-R, OilT, OilP, amps/volts, OAT is in my distant future...

A reorganization of my dream panel, one day...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, oregon87 said:

When you installed the EDM900, did you not remove most of your existing instrumentation?  If not, was it by choice?  I'm curious why you believe you would not have the space to install two 3-1/8" gauges when those holes are typically available in the panel.  Thank you for sharing.

Yes I did remove all the factory gauges. But in the M20K 252, the factory MP and Tach are far to the right side of the panel. By using a smaller unit, and reorganizing the panel, I was able to have the engine monitor front and center. 

I'm flying about 200 hours per year and almost all of it cross country. I find that I spend more time monitoring my engine on the EDM-900 than any other instrument/GPS/radio, in the panel. Typically the autopilot is doing the flying and I'm managing the engine for best performance/efficiency/fuel/etc. So I like having it on the left side. 

Also both EI and JPI seem to offer rebates at the same time therefore the cost difference is still there. And I just couldn't find a use for the few extra items that the CGR combo offers over the JPI. I also like that I have all the EGT/CHT values displayed at all times rather than cycling through.

I've always said that I think the MVP-50 is the best engine monitor available and I'd buy it over the EDM-930 every single time. But on the smaller size units, the EDM-900 has the edge in my book. And then in the entry level market, Insight has both EI and JPI beat by a mile with their G2/G3 monitors. Ask anyone, I'm the guy berating anyone around here who spends money on anything without an engine monitor. I wouldn't own and fly an airplane without one. I've owned two Mooneys and bought and installed engine monitors in both of them. So I know all the available products, features, prices, installation costs, and have flown behind all of them. 

Maybe in my next Mooney I'll have the MVP-50. I believe it's the best one available. But you gotta pay for it.

IMG_2028.thumb.jpg.afb45289542c13b8bbd0e159c2901b99.jpg

Very glad to read you found a system that works well for you.  However, to be clear on pricing as this is a public forum and I don't want anyone viewing this to be misinformed, I have attached a screen shot from Aircraft Spruce.  JPI offers an instant rebate and ours is a mail-in rebate (currently $1000.00).  As such, the price difference is only $358.00.  Additionally, we include fuel pressure ($280.00 additional for the JPI, $480 additional for turbo charged aircraft) and carb temp ($95.00 additional).  Additional primary functions can be included at not additional cost, as well.  Clearly, the systems are very comparable and opinions vary based on form factor.  spruce.thumb.jpg.908102a8bf88b024681123f985cc28ca.jpg

• Like 1

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but I currently don't have an engine monitor and am looking to get one installed (due in part to gsxrpilot's berating).  I'm currently leaning toward JPI's EDM-900, but for the right discount could be persuaded to get the CGR-30C.  My plane just went in for annual, so I need to make a decision on which one right away.  I certainly have an good (ugly) panel for the before picture, so the before/after would be quite striking.  I also have some pretty nice pictures in-flight and could get more.  PM me if you are interested.

40 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

Very glad to read you found a system that works well for you.  However, to be clear on pricing as this is a public forum and I don't want anyone viewing this to be misinformed, I have attached a screen shot from Aircraft Spruce.  JPI offers an instant rebate and ours is a mail-in rebate (currently $1000.00).  As such, the price difference is only $358.00.  Additionally, we include fuel pressure ($280.00 additional for the JPI, $480 additional for turbo charged aircraft) and carb temp ($95.00 additional).  Additional primary functions can be included at not additional cost, as well.  Clearly, the systems are very comparable and opinions vary based on form factor.  spruce.thumb.jpg.908102a8bf88b024681123f985cc28ca.jpg

For me it is the form factor. I would have loved a JPI 900 sized EDM from you guys. I have nothing but positive experiences with my EI hardware.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but I currently don't have an engine monitor and am looking to get one installed (due in part to gsxrpilot's berating).  I'm currently leaning toward JPI's EDM-900, but for the right discount could be persuaded to get the CGR-30C.  My plane just went in for annual, so I need to make a decision on which one right away.  I certainly have an good (ugly) panel for the before picture, so the before/after would be quite striking.  I also have some pretty nice pictures in-flight and could get more.  PM me if you are interested.

We're currently offering a $1000.00 rebate on the combo package.  If you'd like to send me before pics and in-flight pics, I'll forward them to our marketing department and be in touch.  Thank you!

13 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I think we are misunderstanding what EI is asking for. They want before and after pictures from previous installs for marketing materials. If they use your pictures they will provide a discount on a future purchases as a thank you/usage/royalty reimbursement. 

Or if someone is proud of their panel update and wanted to share before and after pics, that would be fantastic!