Panel/aircraft pics requested

oregon87

9 hours ago, oregon87 said:

Checking in.  Thank you very much to all of you who have shared their pictures!  Anybody else care to share pics of their panel?  Any before and after pics?  High res in flight pics?

1161016896_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.b5f86235a50d381f96442101e9ada7ec.jpg

After :) the upgrade: (just because everyone says steam gauges are the cat's meow)

Cockpit1.thumb.jpg.2472bb05fc8230c8d4ba33362d6d0d89.jpg

Edited by Marauder

7 hours ago, oregon87 said:

Checking in.  Thank you very much to all of you who have shared their pictures!  Anybody else care to share pics of their panel?  Any before and after pics?  High res in flight pics?

While not a Mooney, it is my current ride in flight.  Left panel is completed, I’m planning the right side next.

Clarence

92FC56F5-96A2-48F9-BC0E-C140B55C6175.jpeg

Some people are deeply steeped in the electronics technology...

Marauder defines the words deeply steeped, when it comes to electronics... it’s not just his adventure, it’s his non-aviation job too!  :) @Marauder

M20Doc’s Brand P doesn’t get the love it deserves at MS, but when it comes to technology, there is no one more aviation technical than the Doc...  His ride needs a whole bunch of TCs to go with that EI engine monitor... that’s a flat eight hiding under that there hood! @M20Doc

Those are both Lycoming power plants.... a four cylinder and an eight cylinder...

EI will want a six cylinder 310hp Continental to go with that, to balance things out... Go O! :)  Note, the O uses a seventh TC for best LOP/ROP... very similar to a TIT reading....

A Mooney Mite would look really cool sporting an EI engine monitor... What is the lightest EI engine monitor available for the single seat Mooney? How much does it weigh? @Mooneymite

Great question @m20kmooney, I already know the answer, but would love to hear how Oregon handles that one... Speaking of M20Ks... a great EI model that could display the TIT the rest of this list doesn’t use....

When this ad campaign gets started... how many EI folks are going to want to fly a Mooney?  (Probably All!) :)

Fire up that marketing guy! Let’s get him on board.

Best regards,

-a-

OEMs such as Air Tractor, Thrush, Aviat, Cub Crafters, Extra and Pratt & Whitney use our CGR-30P and MVP-50P/MVP-50T in their certified aircraft.  Additionally, companies known for quality retrofits such as Rocket Engineering, Cascade Aircraft Conversions, Turbine Conversions, Wipaire and more install many of our engine monitors.  Lastly, aerobatic/race pilots such as Sean Tucker, Patty Wagstaff and Matt Hall trust the engine monitoring to us.  So much so, Matt has done quite a few testimonial videos for us over the past couple of weeks.  I understand that you would be apprehensive to take me at my word as I am an employed with E.I., but Matt sure likes our MVP in his Edge 540.  If our gear can stand up to the rigors of the current 3rd place Red Bull Air Race pilot's flying and touring, I think that certainly says something for our reliability and dependability.  

• Like 2

OEMs such as Air Tractor, Thrush, Aviat, Cub Crafters, Extra and Pratt & Whitney use our CGR-30P and MVP-50P/MVP-50T in their certified aircraft.  Additionally, companies known for quality retrofits such as Rocket Engineering, Cascade Aircraft Conversions, Turbine Conversions, Wipaire and more install many of our engine monitors.  Lastly, aerobatic/race pilots such as Sean Tucker, Patty Wagstaff and Matt Hall trust the engine monitoring to us.  So much so, Matt has done quite a few testimonial videos for us over the past couple of weeks.  I understand that you would be apprehensive to take me at my word as I am an employed with E.I., but Matt sure likes our MVP in his Edge 540.  If our gear can stand up to the rigors of the current 3rd place Red Bull Air Race pilot's flying and touring, I think that certainly says something for our reliability and dependability.  

Well I can speak to the comparison between JPI and EI reliability. My JPI has had 3 soon to be 4 return for service incidents, 1 Rf interference issue that JPI was involved and a probe issue. 3 of the 4 return issues were display problems.

The EIs, no returns for service. One return for an upgrade, total cost $60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oregon87 said:

This not withstanding, there are concerns that have been raised by customers about reliability and about customer service that has been lacking. These issues have set EI apart from JPI. Bashing JPI on the EI website probably didn’t help. Although both offer functionally similar products with similar cost JPI is viewed by aircraft owners and installers as more reliable and offering excellent customer service. In your estimation are these concerns valid and how can you reassure potential customers that you have addressed them?

12 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

This not withstanding, there are concerns that have been raised by customers about reliability and about customer service that has been lacking. These issues have set EI apart from JPI. Bashing JPI on the EI website probably didn’t help. Although both offer functionally similar products with similar cost JPI is viewed by aircraft owners and installers as more reliable and offering excellent customer service. In your estimation are these concerns valid and how can you reassure potential customers that you have addressed them?

Could you please post a link to our site where JPI was bashed?  To my knowledge, we have never done that.  Quite the opposite if you review previous advertising from our competitors.  In regard to reliability, I suggest you read the posts from your peers and decide for yourself.  If you visit any number of forums, I think you will find that our customer service is second to none.  As an example, we are here on this forum, happy to answer any questions on our products, even assisting in troubleshooting our competitor's products.  

• Thanks 1

I am just starting to study all this JPI and EI certified units. What is the deal with the way these units are programmed.  Doesn’t JPI allow the pilot to program things like fuel tank calibration etc while EI will only allow your mechanic to have access to a password to do such things?  

I am just starting to study all this JPI and EI certified units. What is the deal with the way these units are programmed.  Doesn’t JPI allow the pilot to program things like fuel tank calibration etc while EI will only allow your mechanic to have access to a password to do such things?  

JPI won’t allow the user to set the alarm levels if it’s primary (actually they said FAA mandates this), sounds like EI took that 1 step further.
JPI support recommends you record certain program settings like fuel calibration settings etc. I used my phone to video cycling through the settings. Just in case it gets reset somehow.

9 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

I can’t speak to the MVP, but the CGr-30P....

The EI has a couple of different levels of passwords that allow access to different functions.  The basic password is listed in the user manual and allows the pilot/owner to change a variety of options that are not related to the placarded limitations of the airframe- such as the “switch tanks” alarm, calibration data for the fuel flow impeller, etc.  

the second code is only able to be generated by EI- I think it changes based on a date/time algorithm.  If you have that code, one could edit any placarded limits (maximum rpm, maximum oil temp, etc).  I believe it’s a certification limit that precludes a pilot/owner from having access to change those limits in the gauge- or perhaps it’s just a liability “limit”

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, m20kmooney said:

@oregon87 how does the reliability of your monitors compete with JPI in your estimation? I’m in the process of deciding and I’m leaning towards JPI based primarily on reliability track record. Thanks.

I had a JPI EDM-730 in my first Mooney.  It suffered from all sorts of problems, I think they were software related, which caused fluctuations and ultimately random “crashes” of the unit.  

My current Mooney has a EI CGR-30P.  It has been rock solid since the day I installed it.  

Just one sample out of many- but I’ve been very happy with the reliability and accuracy of the CGR-30P- I’ll never go back to a JPI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

JPI won’t allow the user to set the alarm levels if it’s primary (actually they said FAA mandates this), sounds like EI took that 1 step further.
JPI support recommends you record certain program settings like fuel calibration settings etc. I used my phone to video cycling through the settings. Just in case it gets reset somehow.

The EI works the same way- users can’t set the primary gauge alarm levels directly.

This is from the MVP installation manual.   Some I agree with. Others seem too restrictive for an owner who may use various mechanics and shops to work on my airplane. But If I decided to make my airplane experimental then it would be ok to have the password. 

Level #1 Password (Maintenance):
The Level #1 password is for the installer or maintenance personnel. This password allows the installer to perform the following:
A. Delete Log Files.
B. Set up the Gear Warning.
C. Adjust the Recovery Factor.
D. Calibrate the Fuel Level for all Fuel Tanks.
E. Adjust the Aircraft’s Weight and Balance data.
F. Set the Fuel Weight, Tach Time and Engine Hours. G. Set up the Serial Ports.
H. Disable the Bar Graph.
I. Calibrate Pressure Altitude.
J. Calibrate Flap and Trim indications.
For a non-certified MVP, the password is “00100.” For a certified MVP the password must be obtained from Electronics International Inc. To qualify for the maintenance password you must be a certified mechanic or a FAA approved shop.

You do not need to be a certified mechanic or FAA approved shop to qualify for the maintenance password or level 2 password.  The standard 00200 password (as each certified system leaves our facility) will allow the user to calibrate horsepower, calibrate fuel tanks, enter tach and engine time, configure COM ports (GPS interface) and adjust the brightness of the display.

Deeper levels of programming, such as primary function redlines and screen locations are protected by a one-time use, level 2 password which must be generated at our facility.  We can issue this password to anybody having POH justification or an STC supplement for the requested changes.  We typically will assist over the phone to ensure that changes are made correctly.  The FAA does mandate that primary functions monitored on our system that are replacing analog instrumentation match the existing instrument's markings or POH markings/limitations.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gary0747 said:

Thank you for that clarification.  It seems more reasonable and more in line with JPI.  Does your install manual need an update to be in line with your statement?

If you could point to a specific page in the installation instructions, I will be happy to take a look at it.

Xxxx,

Trying to keep things in perspective...

the EI guy is here to help...

If you ask him a specific question, he is pretty good at giving specific answers...

I am doing the best I can to follow your request, but 106 pages of an install manual didn’t exactly help.

And page six, is about page 14 in the file... and clearly describes the use of EI passwords...

I think the last time we attacked a supplier (a guy named Trek), we found it more difficult to find Trek afterwards...

Be assured beating up the supplier, attacking the vendor, are not usually the intent of the MSer...  

Putting in some extra effort may be required, to not come off like an attacker...

Making statements of being in line with a competitor is helpful to who, how?

MS is supposed to be helpful to Mooney pilots and owners...

Some of us use EI, some use JPI, some use both...  keeping our suppliers here is a benefit.

Last I checked, our JPI guy stopped visiting...

Lets try to not drive off the EI guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary0747 said:

The info I quoted above came from 

Page 6 of your installation manual link on the Spruce Web Site. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/mvp50pinstall.pdf

I see where you would find that confusing and I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.  I will forward it to management for their evaluation.  Just to reiterate, you do NOT need to be a certified mechanic or FAA certified repair shop to use the 00200 password.  That password is always included with all of our certified systems.