Loose sheet metal screws

Lukon

There are several screws on the interior trim and a couple on speed mods that no longer maintain purchase. I don’t know whether they were overtightened or if it is simply a result of chronic vibration. What’s the best fix for this? I’m thinking along the lines of a tiny dab of JB Weld and an 8mm square of aluminum tape. Re-drill hole after epoxy cures...  Any thoughts?

There are several screws on the interior trim and a couple on speed mods that no longer maintain purchase. I don’t know whether they were overtightened or if it is simply a result of chronic vibration. What’s the best fix for this? I’m thinking along the lines of a tiny dab of JB Weld and an 8mm square of aluminum tape. Re-drill hole after epoxy cures...  Any thoughts?

It would be helpful to know which screws you are talking about. The screws around the window trim are screwed into little aluminum tabs that are attached to the airframe. If the holes are too large for the screw, I would opt to replace the tab rather than throwing a larger screw in. Although depending what component you are talking about, a larger screw might be an easier solution.

JB Weld is nasty stuff if it gets on stuff you don’t intend it to be on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

About six screws around the right window trim and three on some sort of gap seal on the right stabilizer.

This window trim?

66b18574c399488ede7c8026325cc48f.jpg

I would see if I could get the plate to move a little and use the same size screws.

e43fa7e72e880a8df006ee4fc4831266.jpg

As for the fairing, I would check to make sure there is enough clearance an use a slightly bigger screw. Not positive but that fairing May come off during annual inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moving to the next size up screw just delays the problem.  Eventually that one strips, then you've got to go even bigger, and so on (ask me how I know).  For the last 10 years or so, I've just kept a box of trim screws handy, and I periodically replace the ones that fall out, knowing they'll just fall out again soon.

A technique suggested to me once which sounds promising but I haven't actually tried: use a dimpling tool to dimple the hole in the aluminum that receives the screw, then tap the dimpled hole for the next size up screw.  The idea is this creates more surface area along the thread path, for the tap to cut and for the threads to hold purchase against.

PLEASE tell me where you got this replacement interior plastic!  Or, is that a reconditioned plastic you did using the Spatial Interior system?  

Top half is a refurbished original using Bruce’s technique. Bottom half is his Spatial Designs panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1