HELP-  I am doing a mini upgrade to my Cessna  340:  having professionals add engine monitors, an aspen, a G5 on the FO side, and fixing the autopilot.  While they are doing that, the wife and I have been keeping ourselves busy with the upgrades we can do:
      new carpet (kit from SCS)
      new fuel cap paint, O-rings
      new placards and circuit breaker panel lettering
      new leather like interior (we actually did this ourselves)
      all new seats (we skinned the 30 year leather off the old ones and had an upholstery shop do these)
      new paint (and some new pieces) of the plastic trim window covers
      and now we are replacing all the external screws around the windows (under mechanic supervision) because they are rusty (this is actually kind of a pain to do)
     What suggestions do you guys have that an owner with limited mechanical skills but good energy and enthusiasm can do while his plane is being upgraded.  I probably have a few more weeks of working time.

FREE STUFF (and some that will be posted on Ebay)  
   I have the old (one year old) carpet. I bought the "lightweight" kit from SCS last year because it sounded like a good idea.  It was too light weight for me.  If anyone wants it, it is free for the taking- just come get it.  It is actually a fine product- just not robust enough for my application.
  Plastic window covers.  I have four of these-  not sure which windows they cover.  I know know how to fix these but when I first bought the plane I went to Osh Kosh and bought new ones during a buying spree.  They do need repaired but it can be done easily.  Free- come get them.

And they I will list on Ebay the myriad analog instruments I removed.  Tach generators, what I call Mercedes type twin cessna instrumentation, airspeed indicator, altimeter, turn co-ordinator, etc.  If anyone knows of something they want just email or call me.  They are all located at KLOU.  I'm going to post on the twin cessna and POA as well. 

I guess you aren't looking to turn the tail around the right way, move the low time engine to the nose, or pickle the spare engine and move ut to a shelf in your hangar? Seriously, 340s are capable planes and worthy of ypur love and attention.

Happy fixing up!

• Like 1

While the interior is out, I'd do a deep clean and look at everything...look for corrosion/rust, old wires breaking down, old insulation or sound proofing, etc. If there are electrical connectors, take them apart and spray contact cleaner on the pins, then put them together/take them apart a few times before final assembly. If there are any taped seams, consider replacing the tape. Remove obsolete wires and antennas. All of this is good practice that you wouldn't want to pay shop labor to do.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

While the interior is out, I'd do a deep clean and look at everything...look for corrosion/rust, old wires breaking down, old insulation or sound proofing, etc. If there are electrical connectors, take them apart and spray contact cleaner on the pins, then put them together/take them apart a few times before final assembly. If there are any taped seams, consider replacing the tape. Remove obsolete wires and antennas. All of this is good practice that you wouldn't want to pay shop labor to do.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thanks-  will get on it

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Slip in a pic or two...

I’m not sure what a C340 looks like...

include  the troops too.   :)

We have an MSer or two with multiple ships to select from...

Is there a machine addiction I need to be aware of?

Best regards,

-a-

Will get some pics at hangar today

• Like 1