Touch and Go in a fire breathing turbo... 252

gsxrpilot

When Mooney went to the electric flaps they were all "infinitely adjustable" so to speak - a bit of a plus but more of minus when you want to raise them to T/O position when doing a GA.
When Mooney re-introduced the J in the early 90's they did so with a 3 position detent switch which is really nice and works the same way all of us have experienced in the C172 trainers. The big advantage is you don't have to look at them to raise to T/O on the go - just move up to the T/O detent by feel. They also had the added advantage of a higher v speed for initial t/o or approach flaps.
This improvement never made it to the long bodies AFAIK till the G1000 Mooneys since the G1000 also was based on 3 position flaps.
I imagine it would be possible to retrofit the J's 3 position detent system, but likely only if you have a 28V system (unless if Mooney made a retrofit kit for 14V systems?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early Os have the three position switch for flaps...

And they are speed matched to the trim motor...  trimming for the amount of time that the flaps are being deployed, will even out all the trimming that is required... more or less...

If you are a second late remembering to start to trim, add another second to the trim time... :)

Its fun when the airplane reminds you how human you are, in a non-lethal kind of way...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The Encore (1998) has a three position switch.

It was a fun approach to landing the Encore the first time after flying a 14v 231 for about 350 hours that same year. I was use to the infinite switch in the previous M20K but this indented switch was “different” when landing the 252 the first time. It’s completely natural now and never have to look at the position flap indicator.

Also, my trim thumb has been programmed to start working when the flaps come down.

• Like 2

Last year (350hr) I was getting my instrument and working on my CPL. .I also fly for PilotsNPaws and AngelFlight. I work from home but my employer is 971nm away. A couple/three times a year I get to fly-in for work.

I am always looking for an excuse to fly. Central Arkansas weather changes from day to day so if you don’t like the weather today, wait til tomorrow.

Looking to get my twin fan add-on next as soon as I can figure out the extra engine on a Mooney ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kortopates said:

When Mooney went to the electric flaps they were all "infinitely adjustable" so to speak - a bit of a plus but more of minus when you want to raise them to T/O position when doing a GA.
When Mooney re-introduced the J in the early 90's they did so with a 3 position detent switch which is really nice and works the same way all of us have experienced in the C172 trainers. The big advantage is you don't have to look at them to raise to T/O on the go - just move up to the T/O detent by feel. They also had the added advantage of a higher v speed for initial t/o or approach flaps.
This improvement never made it to the long bodies AFAIK till the G1000 Mooneys since the G1000 also was based on 3 position flaps.
I imagine it would be possible to retrofit the J's 3 position detent system, but likely only if you have a 28V system (unless if Mooney made a retrofit kit for 14V systems?).

I know what you mean.  The hydraulic system is the same.  I know from experience that my flaps take roughly a 3 count to bleed up from full to take off at approach speeds.

Edited by Shadrach

I know what you mean.  The hydraulic system is the same.  I know from experience that my flaps take roughly a 3 count to bleed up from full to take off at approach speeds.

Yes, Virtually identical with the electric too - 3 seconds of holding switch up then back to neutral to hold them in T/O or approach position.