Anybody flying with an iPhone XS Max?

HRM

It looks like Apple may not revive the iPad Mini and I frankly don't want to wait for next spring to find out. Now I am thinking about just getting the iPhone XS Max and just chucking my mini and my iPhone 7.

So, anybody flying with an XS Max as their EFB?

18 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Check with FF to see if everything will be supported on the phone platform. In the past there was differences between the iPad and iPhone even though the large phones are getting close to the size of the Mini.

I just e-mailed them today and they said thanks for the suggestion, Use your pull with Foreflight Paul and get this going! You can do it!

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

I just e-mailed them today and they said thanks for the suggestion, Use your pull with Foreflight Paul and get this going! You can do it!

I will. I fly with several of those guys. David 'Kiwi' Mitchell from the Mooney Caravan Texas Wing flies a 231 and is one of their lead developers. I'll have a talk with them.

• Like 2

They are still selling the Mini iPad 4 which makes me think they will come out with one in the future but today wasn’t the day. Hope it does not turn into a Ki300 issue.

I’ll ask David as well, he works mainly on the Jeppesen Charts integration but will know who to talk to.

One of FF’s recent updates let’s FF use the iPhone XS Max full resolution. It did not say, however, if it supports the full functionality of an iPad. My guess is that it probably does not. The Max is large enough that I would much prefer it work like an iPad than an iPhone in regards to FF. FF could make this an option in the setting menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After a great deal of thought and reading all the (very useful!) discussion here I've decided to replace my (cracked screen) iPad Mini 3 with the new iPad Pro 11". My main concern was that it would be too big, hence my looking at the new large iPhones. Wifey has the 'old' iPad 11" and after I played around with it using my knee strap I concluded that the new one would not be unusable; in fact, given my aging eyes it will be a significant improvement during flight.

Add to that the 'Apple Pencil', which I have wanted for some time, it is practically a no-brainer.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, carusoam said:

Same is true when surfing MS...

The phone doesn’t show the avatar details the way the iPad always does...

Small details may get put on other pages...

Best regards,

-a-

My Samsung phone shows full avatar info when I hold it in landscape mode . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HXG said:

There is still some optimism for an Mini IPAD 5 in the first half of 2019. If it happens I’ll ditch my 9.7 IpadPro for a yoke mounted Mini 5. If not, I’ll probably get the XS max phone. 

Hope springs eternal with Apple, but I have known them since pre-mac days and trying to guess what they are up to is futile. With my luck, they'd come out with it but with no pencil and that is a must have for me. I'm happy with my 11" decision and will be buying one soon.

Anyone have one of the new generation (not mini 2-4) ipads mounted to a Mooney yoke?  Pics please.  Thinking about a replacement for my mini 2 (which would become the designated IFE), but have always liked the minis as they fit perfectly on the yoke.

36 minutes ago, bradp said:

Anyone have one of the new generation (not mini 2-4) ipads mounted to a Mooney yoke?  Pics please.  Thinking about a replacement for my mini 2 (which would become the designated IFE), but have always liked the minis as they fit perfectly on the yoke.

Here is where I fit my iPad Pro (10.5") in my J. I have the RAM mount with the extended arm coming from the yoke mount underneath the yoke.

N5767Z - panel.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be a huge fan of the yoke mounted iPad. I've used all different kinds of mounts from RAM to magnetic to the Steelie ball. But now with the 9.5" Pro model I've switched to the MyGoFlight mount. It's super easy to move it around, pull it closer, push it away, or even disconnect it and hold it in my hands. The other effect is that I've really gotten use to having the whole yoke free and clear.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.4b15ece84805def6386f2f4914beae29.jpg

IMG_2530.thumb.jpg.32697acde374693e3e6d7751972b275a.jpg

I have the new 11” with pencil.  Heavier than my 9.7” Pro.  I am not happy with what they’ve done to the pencil.  I used to use pencil to open the screen, close apps etc on the 9.7 Pro, rarely having to use a finger.  You have to use your finger a lot now on the 11.  Pencil is good for artistry more than for utility.  Also you can’t really use a screen protector because it blocks the face recognition cameras.  Greasy screens!

Russ

Are you guys seeing any iPad Pro specific interesting things related to your flight apps?

I went with the latest iPad 6 recently... I couldn’t determine if there were any advantages/disadvantages... so I went with the low price for what I need today.

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Are you guys seeing any iPad Pro specific interesting things related to your flight apps?

I went with the latest iPad 6 recently... I couldn’t determine if there were any advantages/disadvantages... so I went with the low price for what I need today.

Best regards,

-a-

I think the pencil makes it easier to write on the screen... but then it's another item that needs charging. 

You don't want to say "ready to copy" only to discover your pencil has disconnected its self or the battery's run down.

In spite of all that, I like the pencil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think the pencil makes it easier to write on the screen... but then it's another item that needs charging. 

You don't want to say "ready to copy" only to discover your pencil has disconnected its self or the battery's run down.

In spite of all that, I like the pencil.

...Forgot to add, the pencil now magnetically attaches to the side and constantly charges on the new iPads but as clumsy as I am I kept knocking it off.  I stuck one of those retainer loops on the iPad cover that still allows for the charge detection.