Rat socks

Hi everyone,

I’m still slowly going over the plane and removed what was left of the rat socks on the main gear rods... I have the wheel well liners that have not yet been installed and am wondering if I should just forego replacing the rat socks if I am going to install the liners...

If I do replace the rat socks, it is a simple endeavor, such as jacking the plane, unlocking the gear and simply disconnecting the pushrod at the gear, or will I need a tool to hold the gear spring back in the wing? The manual isn’t much help regarding this..

thanks

Put the plane up on jacks. Then put the gear a little but up by pulling the breaker if it is electrical or just unlatching the J bar if manual. Then you will be able to disconnect the rods with no effort.

The gear spring balances the weight of the wheel. with the rod disconnected the gear will go to a midpoint and you will be able to move it with your hand to get the rod back together.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Ok, I went to the LASAR site and discovered that the owner also gave me a set of leather boots for the gear. They have been sitting in a box full of stuff and I thought they were a bad attempt at a set of interior pushrod boots for the nose wheel well...so I’ve got some new rat socks. I had no idea that they came in leather. Yet Another thing to maintain...gotta find some good leather weather proofing wax!

18 hours ago, 75_M20F said:

That's a Guinea Pig, not a rat! My daughter takes offense! (She has a pet piggy)

FWIW, they are delicious!  A delicacy in Peru.  Had to try it while I was there last week.  Served with potatoes and a mushroom salad.  They call them Cuy.

20181025_151641.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, bob865 said:

FWIW, they are delicious!  A delicacy in Peru.  Had to try it while I was there last week.  Served with potatoes and a mushroom salad.  They call them Cuy.

20181025_151641.jpg

I’ve seen that on Andrew Zimmern’s and Anthony Bourdain’s shows and have been wanting to try it. Looks delicious.