MooneyMite Pics

carusoam

• 3 weeks later...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culver_Cadet

Al Mooney is referenced for spending eight years at Culver, where the Cadet was one of the projects he worked on...

Al kept all the experience as he moved on... often improving the designs as he went... and keeping the things that worked well...

Best regards,

-a-

44 minutes ago, carusoam said:

More about the Culver line...

http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/on-display/culver-cadet/

The LFA... F for Franklin engine...

The LCA... C for Continental...

Best regards,

-a-

The Culver Cadet shown in the link you provide (at Vintage Flying Museum) is currently for sale.

I’m pretty familiar with the Cadet, sweet flying airplane.

2C34CBF2-3767-484D-BC3D-440D637651FF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, rbridges said:

those pics are cool.  what's the endurance of a mite?

PICT0006.thumb.JPG.4e0efe4176afcfbbf0b01938fd52f7ae.JPG

I have 15US gal auxiliary tanks with 15US gal main in my modified 1953 M18C (1986 M-18X experimental/homebuilt) burning 4-1/2 to 5US gph at high cruise with a Continental A65-8F. Easy 600NM+ range with reserve at 75% high cruise (125-130mph). Stock M18's came with 12/15 US gal tanks (depending on year manufactured and Lycoming O-145 or Continental A-65 powerplants). Lycoming O-145's were more fuel efficient and were therefore often fitted with the smaller tank. The licensed gross weight of certified M-18's would not permit full fuel with addition of electrics, avionics, and large pilots. My Canadian registered M18X has its' much higher (683lb) empty weight offset by its' much higher 1025lb gross weight, thus realizing the impressive endurance (and range) with a 170lb pilot. Al Mooney flew an M18 with even greater fuel capacity breaking distance records for aircraft in this class.     

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, carusoam said:

Somewhere around here is the Al Mooney story where took the Mite on a Looooong XC.... Tx to Mi???

Best regards,

-a-

You’re close,

Brownsville Texas to Watertown South Dakota, almost 1500 miles in a Mite!  

Clarence

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, Kevin Harberg said:

modified 1953 M18C (1986 M-18X experimental/homebuilt)

Do you mean that it started as a 1953 M18C, but is now an experimental class aircraft?  I have been wondering if an extensive restoration done by an amateur fits the 51% rule, and can turn the airplane into a homebuilt (with all the associated freedoms to modify).

8 hours ago, tgardnerh said:

Do you mean that it started as a 1953 M18C, but is now an experimental class aircraft?  I have been wondering if an extensive restoration done by an amateur fits the 51% rule, and can turn the airplane into a homebuilt (with all the associated freedoms to modify).

The 51% Rule is difficult to quantify so it is imperative to have the inspectors involved early in the planning stages.