Is the mooney mite site down or gone?

Chief Mac

In September 2018...

The MooneyMite website ran into a controlled shut down.

Their members are offered a safe harbor here... on MooneySpace...

The Mite area here... is pretty much an empty room without furniture...

Bring some friends, post some pics, get things rolling again...

There were over 300 members that needed a place to go to discuss all things MooneyMite... let them know they can do that here...

Have no fear... the controlled shut down left many people holding discs of data.  So the info isn’t lost....

Know of any MooneyMite events coming up?

Best regards,

-a-

Controlled... everyone knew it was going to shut down on a particular date... data discs were shared...

Invites were sent to join us at MS...

Much better than a site crash, nobody knows what to do after that...

we have a couple of members of both MS and The MM site... they brought up the idea to begin with...

But the word didn’t get out or something seems to slow the progression...

Dave, Their site manager was involved in all the sharing of ideas... their time was running out quickly...

Dave Rutherford
     Webmaster, mooneymite.com

Just waiting to see if anybody actual comes...  it’s been months.

Have or fly a Mooney? Come to MooneySpace!

We have room for all Mooney people... :)

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, MooneyMitey said:

I’m glad this was posted because I never heard about it. I own a Mite, contributed financially to the Mite site, and never heard a word about this “controlled shut down”,  Nor has anybody else I’ve comunicated with. Glad I finally got an answer. Thanks. 

I too was a fan of Mooneymite.com.  I didn't visit the site on a regular basis lately since I sold my Mite, but there was about a one-two month warning from Dave about the site being shut down.  Dave offered a thumb drive of the Mooneymite archives for a small "offering".  I suspect it is still available if you contact Dave via email (mooneymite@gmail.com).

While I was very sad to see the site go down, Dave had single-handedly managed and cared for the site for years and years and I suspect he just got burned out.  Interestingly enough, despite his love and enthusiasm for Mites, Dave never owned a Mite himself, though he did get to fly at least one.

Maybe some new, enterprising Mite owner could contact Dave and get the site up and running again.  I really hope that Mites are preserved and loved far into the future.

Any Mooney owner who has never flown a Mite has truly missed a great flying experience!

Welcome aboard, MooneyMitey!

Gents,

Don’t give up hope too easily...

Its not where you have been that’s important... it’s where you are going that counts.

Dave copying the data was an important step.  He tried valiently to pass the baton on to other people...

getting the 300 or so Mooney Mite pilots back together is an important next step...

Please join us here.  Be part of the community, or stay within the confines of the Mite area. It’s up to you all. However you want to handle it...

Some additional good news...

There are technical ways to get the historical data loaded from the MM site and included here...

About me...

I’m only a private pilot. Near the 100th MS member to join.

I found MS searching for answers about a unique Mooney Model called the Missile. 

If you think Mites are a small community. Missiles are even fewer in number...

So I came here to find out about the hardware... what I found was a community of a wide variety of awesome people.  Some know the hardware... some know the flying... the finance... the training... the health issues... the legalities...

All are willing to share what they know...

If you like... settle in... plant some roots...

post a pic... let other Mite owners know you are here... (don’t wait)

The early days of MS... there was no data... we didn’t know each other... we didn’t even know it was here... We have come a long way since the early days... Fly-ins, maintenance days, Mooney Summit, used equipment swaps... around the world...

It is better to be part of a community than to try and go it alone...

I am only a PP, not a computer guy... my language skills are far from perfect... but I try pretty hard...

The words ‘controlled shut down’ are mine. I tried to describe what I saw happening.

I understand the disappointment when you find your goto site missing...

I also know the feeling when the site comes back up. :)

Let’s circle the wagons, get the mites together, determine the future of the mite’s social media community...

Join us...at MooneySpace...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/31/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mooneymite said:

I too was a fan of Mooneymite.com.  I didn't visit the site on a regular basis lately since I sold my Mite, but there was about a one-two month warning from Dave about the site being shut down.  Dave offered a thumb drive of the Mooneymite archives for a small "offering".  I suspect it is still available if you contact Dave via email (mooneymite@gmail.com).

While I was very sad to see the site go down, Dave had single-handedly managed and cared for the site for years and years and I suspect he just got burned out.  Interestingly enough, despite his love and enthusiasm for Mites, Dave never owned a Mite himself, though he did get to fly at least one.

Maybe some new, enterprising Mite owner could contact Dave and get the site up and running again.  I really hope that Mites are preserved and loved far into the future.

Any Mooney owner who has never flown a Mite has truly missed a great flying experience!

how do you get the chance to learn in one? is it just a full send type of flight?

5 hours ago, Niko182 said:

how do you get the chance to learn in one? is it just a full send type of flight?

You get to be your own instructor from the first flight on.  ;)

It's an easy plane to fly.  I never discovered any bad habits.  The flap crank is also the trim control...as you slow and add back-trim, the flaps begin to deploy.  Full back trim=full flaps:  ingenious!

I purchased a copy of the old Mite site from Dave, as well as saving many Mite pictures on my iPad.  My restoration is slow going so I review pictures of others who are finished and flying.

Among my favourites:

0E0EF76A-F36C-4244-89A3-61FB2BCDCA3B.jpeg

• 1 month later...

M20C, nice plane.  Any idea about new landing gear shock discs? 

I have posted a pic of N4149E on the pictures thread...or you can type the N-number into Google and there are lots of photos there.  The plane was restored perhaps 15 years ago.  We are annualing it now and have run into a mouse...who took a lot of insulation and ran it up into one of the left wing bays, etc.   

Cheers

5 hours ago, R.May said:

M20C, nice plane.  Any idea about new landing gear shock discs? 

I have posted a pic of N4149E on the pictures thread...or you can type the N-number into Google and there are lots of photos there.  The plane was restored perhaps 15 years ago.  We are annualing it now and have run into a mouse...who took a lot of insulation and ran it up into one of the left wing bays, etc.   

Cheers

As with all things Mite, good luck!  Paul from Bedrock Aero in Ohio had some info on them.  Also you might check with Boyd Maddox (? Spelling) somewhere in Texas.

I plan to build my own if I can’t find any, when the time comes. 

Clarence

To the best of my knowledge, the last set of NOS gear donuts that Paul had went with the Mite project that I got from him last year. I’m knee deep in the restoration of the original Howard Mike and Ike racers and due to a lack of time, I’ve decided to part with the project if anybody is looking. It’s without a doubt the cleanest Mite project in existence (Paul cherry picked the very best compotes from the  sizable Mite parts collection he had).  I also have a NOS A-65-12F (no logs, data tag, brand new) that’s available as a package, or seperatly if the project goes. It’s listed on barnstormers or email me at flyncair@gmail if you are  interested. 

Karl 

Edited by MooneyMitey

• 8 months later...

For those of you that may have gotten a copy of the mite site data, is there any chance I could get  a copy of it as well?  I did email Mr. Rutherford, and have not as yet gotten a response.

I’ve been waiting patiently for the mite site to come back, but there was some really good maintenance tips and parts suppliers that I would like to look at. 

Let me know your terms...

Thanks,

Brian Wilke    Tweetip@aol.com

Welcome aboard Brian...

I believe A few people have mentioned receiving discs regarding the Mite site data.

There was a brief discussion of including it here as well...

Unfortunately, it cost some resources to do all that... the reason the Mite site closed was the limited resources...

Fortunately the Mite site did not implode... it was a very well controlled shut down...

Check back a few times to see if anyone answers your request...

Post a pic under the Mite pics thread...

One of these days the Mite owners will return to the internet...

Post something of interest to the other Mite owners... :)

Best regards,

-a-