Dual Yokes

Stuck here in the Outer Banks of North Carolina forced to eat seafood while the icing dissipates around the Great Lakes....  I was thinking; why the dual yokes?  Almost all light planes are flown solo, or with a single passenger that is typically very unlikely to be able to take control.  Dual yokes and dual rudder pedals ? Why?  Tradition? Cars don’t have dual controls.

1 hour ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Stuck here in the Outer Banks of North Carolina forced to eat seafood while the icing dissipates around the Great Lakes....  I was thinking; why the dual yokes?  Almost all light planes are flown solo, or with a single passenger that is typically very unlikely to be able to take control.  Dual yokes and dual rudder pedals ? Why?  Tradition? Cars don’t have dual controls.

It sure does make for easier flight training! Some driving schools install second steering wheels and brakes on the right side, too.

1 minute ago, skydvrboy said:

Is there any regulatory compliance issues with taking them out?  Not that I would, I like being able to have my "co-pilot" take the controls to make other tasks easier. 

That sounds to me like a Major Mod, Form 337, etc. Shouldn't need a DER, although it will move the CG forward. 

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

As explained to me by the CMDR....  Fighter jets don't have dual instruction.   Turn that, push that, do that.  I think you get 3 chances to land on the carrier, then your career is over.  Don't suck at flying.

Well, that's sort of true....fighter pilots do get some dual training in some air frames.  F22's, F35's, not so much. 

They do get plenty of land side practice, but it's still a whole nother ballgame trying to hit a moving landing strip in the middle of an ocean. 

This is the Navy Auxiliary Airfield just SW of Norfolk, VA.  They have it painted on both ends of the runway.

Brian

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 6.15.14 PM.png

• Like 1

The right side yokes are for...

- primary training...

- comfort...

- wishful thinking...

- helping out with the flight duties...

- becoming comfortable as a right seater...

- if nobody ever sits there... it’s a back-up yoke in case the one you are using falls off... :)

- sort of like right side brakes... nice to have for the day you want to start flying from the right seat...

-  makes a nice official looking place to hang the copilot headset.

- gives the right seater the name co-pilot.  Otherwise they are just a front seat passenger.

- the right side is where I store my extra yoke and pedals.

- the spare iPad mounts there...

If it were allowed... How much of a weight savings can be found by removing yokes, shafts, pedals and breaks from the right side... 10Lbs?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Cyril,

I hope your weather clears up soon...

Best regards,

-a-