Yep...Another Brittain Question - Surgical Tubing

7 minutes ago, Gary0747 said:

Might also check the orings in the wing leveler button on the yoke while you are at it.  That could cause the leveler to not engage.  I think that button just pulls out. I never bothered since my leveler has always worked fine. 

I always fly with my button out.  lol

16 minutes ago, larryb said:

I would find something at McMaster Carr. Here you can pick exact sizes and materials and know what you are getting. Perhaps you can find a product which will last a bit longer.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9776t6

or

https://www.mcmaster.com/9776t5

I love McMaster Carr.  One day shipping to my front door and they have every oddball thing I've ever needed.  

I have never seen any colored pvc tubing on mine.  It has always been the black surgical latex tubing as shown in the original photo here. Latex rubber works well but has poor oxidation resistance thus causing the surface cracking in the photo. Britain recommended changing to the windshield washer tubing which I think is EDPM to reduce the oxidation problem with the latex. 

• 1 year later...

I have a question about a statement on this thread. When making a taxi test why would the yoke show a turn in the opposite direction from the ground turn?

What if the yoke moves in the same direction as the rudder turn in both directions? What has failed or what vacuum line is crossed? At least the vacuum system is working without leaks!

The first thing I would do is test the unit on the ground during taxi.  The yoke should turn in the opposite direction of a ground turn in either direction.  If turns in each direction yield the same results, then the PC is functioning. If it's only working when turning left, then you know why it's banking right in the air and need to begin trouble shooting.

• Like 1

Let’s consider what happens...

The brittain is attached to a gyro or TC...

If you turn to the right... does the plane react, by trying to turn back to the left?

Find the documents from Britain... before flying with a question about how the AP works...

Make sure the shut-off is working properly...

We have a Brittain guy / gal around here...

PP thoughts only, not very familiar with the Brittain system...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/28/2020 at 8:56 PM, outermarker said:

I have a question about a statement on this thread. When making a taxi test why would the yoke show a turn in the opposite direction from the ground turn?

What if the yoke moves in the same direction as the rudder turn in both directions? What has failed or what vacuum line is crossed? At least the vacuum system is working without leaks!

The first thing I would do is test the unit on the ground during taxi.  The yoke should turn in the opposite direction of a ground turn in either direction.  If turns in each direction yield the same results, then the PC is functioning. If it's only working when turning left, then you know why it's banking right in the air and need to begin trouble shooting.

The standard ground test for a TC is this:  when making a turn on the ground, the TC should indicate a turn in the direction of turn.   As @carusoam astutely noted if the PC system is activated, it should move the ailerons in a direction opposite your turn as if trying to counteract the indicated turn.

• Like 1

Over the weekend, I thought about that question and agree, a turn in either direction and the PC system turns opposite in an attempt to correct and put you back on a straight line. I do have an issue with the system I have. I was an issue from before I owned the airplane. Now that I am working through the bugs, the PC system is next up. I'd like to know if there is anyone who really knows the system that I could call.