Left mag check kills engine

WaynePierce

Just some thoughts:

Single engine makes reliability of that one engine of utmost importance.

Fuel, air, & ignition source are the 3 things it takes to make a fire.

Because I only have one engine out there pulling me through the air I am going to do everything in my control to make sure it is as perfect as I can get it. My life is on the line as well as other innocent folks (passengers and people on the ground) 

Mags are cheap compared to radios and other aircraft expenses. 

I replace with new at 500hrs gets me new coils,  new plastic gears, new condensers new everything not just parts that are "with in tolerances" new. 

Is that neccessary?  Maybe not but just remember the engine will not run at all without a good magneto and the importance of that is very clear if the engine manufacturers put two of those on our engines. All aircraft engines have 2 mags, 2 plugs per cyl, 2 sets of wires 2 positions on key switch. Lots of expense by the manufacturer to facilitate 2 mags. This tells me something.

Oh and dont think I am some wealthy guy who has money to burn I am cheap cheap cheap on lots of things but magneto and fuel system is not one of those things.

My thoughts

Edited by triple8s
Wasnt done
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, triple8s said:

Just some thoughts:

Single engine makes reliability of that one engine of utmost importance.

Fuel, air, & ignition source are the 3 things it takes to make a fire.

Because I only have one engine out there pulling me through the air I am going to do everything in my control to make sure it is as perfect as I can get it. My life is on the line as well as other innocent folks (passengers and people on the ground) 

Mags are cheap compared to radios and other aircraft expenses. 

I replace with new at 500hrs gets me new coils,  new plastic gears, new condensers new everything not just parts that are "with in tolerances" new. 

Is that neccessary?  Maybe not but just remember the engine will not run at all without a good magneto and the importance of that is very clear if the engine manufacturers put two of those on our engines. All aircraft engines have 2 mags, 2 plugs per cyl, 2 sets of wires 2 positions on key switch. Lots of expense by the manufacturer to facilitate 2 mags. This tells me something.

Oh and dont think I am some wealthy guy who has money to burn I am cheap cheap cheap on lots of things but magneto and fuel system is not one of those things.

My thoughts

I agree with a lot of that, the other real concern in mine is the dual magneto. If one starts throwing teeth it most assuredly with throw them in the direction of the other mag. If I lose one chances are good I lose the other post haste.