Bluebook, VREF and Mooney Values

jgarrison

2 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I say this as an owner  of a unique 1968 F model, rebuilt to be a modern aircraft, and that is (I believe) professionally appraised and insured as likely the most expensive F model out there.  

John Breda

Hi John...

Question: Where did your professional appraiser get his data?

I am still thinking about where to go with this. Will make a decision soon.

I can not be specific on that one.  He is a licensed aircraft appraiser on Long Island.  I contacted him when I started looking for insurance as Avemco stated they would insure the airplane for what it was appraised at.  I assume as a licensed appraiser he has collected information over the years.  He was influenced by the degree of restoration (which is complete), the modifications turning it into a modern airplane, and the equipment in the plane.  He used the words, "This aircraft has had many upgrades and modifications that have rendered this aircraft most likely a one of a kind and probably one of the most expensive 1968 Mooney M20F's out there."

Two years ago it was appraised at $206,587.00.  Due to some additional upgrades and market conditions, it is now insured higher than this appraisal.

John Breda

The appraiser is certified by the National Aircraft Appraisers  Association (of which I know nothing).

Given the ever escalating prices of new aircraft, unusual examples of of vintage planes should follow suit, based on their equipment and capability.

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I can not be specific on that one.  He is a licensed aircraft appraiser on Long Island.  I contacted him when I started looking for insurance as Avemco stated they would insure the airplane for what it was appraised at.  I assume as a licensed appraiser he has collected information over the years.  He was influenced by the degree of restoration (which is complete), the modifications turning it into a modern airplane, and the equipment in the plane.  He used the words, "This aircraft has had many upgrades and modifications that have rendered this aircraft most likely a one of a kind and probably one of the most expensive 1968 Mooney M20F's out there."

Two years ago it was appraised at $206,587.00.  Due to some additional upgrades and market conditions, it is now insured higher than this appraisal.

John Breda

John,

I would love to see photos of your airplane.  It sounds like a very special one indeed.

Jimmy, 

I hope you find a solution to this fair market value problem.  I remember when you gave me a "dose of reality" over using VRef for valuations during my purchase process.  

Safe Flying,

Alex