GDL-82 Install Time

David_H

32 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You already have everything except the -ES upgrade. Upgrade the GTX330 to an ES - or buy a used ES and sell your 330. Run your WAAS position from the Garmin 530/430W and you have 1090 out. Why add the GDL82 and only have 978 out? The GDL-82 was designed for people who didn't have a WAAS position source in a panel mounted GPS.

Thanks!! Makes sense now. 

-Matt

• 6 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, Baker Avionics said:

Well good! Those are the things that are new and aren't readily shared by others to all. NOW all of the facts are out, that's great and still, clock the actual hours for me and let me know how many man hours it took and then let's do the math and understand the numbers. It is basically an easy install and will still take at least 10-15 man hours and maybe more 8f an antenna is needed. Either way, I personally have installed 20-25 of these systems and knows what it takes. I may not be the smartest person but I won't tell anyone that they are wrong when it comes to flying if I am not a seasoned pilot, I am a seasoned Avionics and Airframe mechanic and have been doing this for 30 years. Let us know what kind of HONEST man hours you log and let me know if it is under 15. I would be impressed if you are under that. 

If you need advice or the config tool, let me know. I would be glad to assist.

This professional operating on John Wayne airport in Orange County (high overhead) seems to be able to make a profit by doing it for about $800.

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/non_member/marketplace/f/13/t/171017.aspx

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

This professional operating on John Wayne airport in Orange County (high overhead) seems to be able to make a profit by doing it for about $800.

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/non_member/marketplace/f/13/t/171017.aspx

That's great!  is that for all aircraft or no? I would bet it is a one man shop,which is  fine and he does nothing other than Cirrus for that cost and has no CRS as well.  Roll the dice by all means and good luck.  I am talking about running a real shop with real shop rates is all. Not doubting it, just do not believe it if they are running a shop with employees and overhead that is normal. 

And here, someone forgot to read this on their site:

AVIONICS / ADSB / MODIFICATIONS

FYC can install most ADSB systems into your aircraft. We typically do not do avionics work mobile and prefer to have the aircraft brought to KSNA for major work. Simple system (GDL 82) installs can be handled in the field. We try to leave the major avionics installs / retrofits to part 145 Avionics shops as the time involved does not always fit our scheduling. Be sure to call and ask as we do avionics on a case by case basis.

Edited by Baker Avionics
Misspelled word

9 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

That's great!  is that for all aircraft or no? I would bet it is a one man shop,which is  fine and he does nothing other than Cirrus for that cost and has no CRS as well.  Roll the dice by all means and good luck.  I am talking about running a real shop with real shop rates is all. Not doubting it, just do not believe it if they are running a shop with employees and overhead that is normal. 

And here, someone forgot to read this on their site:

AVIONICS / ADSB / MODIFICATIONS

FYC can install most ADSB systems into your aircraft. We typically do not do avionics work mobile and prefer to have the aircraft brought to KSNA for major work. Simple system (GDL 82) installs can be handled in the field. We try to leave the major avionics installs / retrofits to part 145 Avionics shops as the time involved does not always fit our scheduling. Be sure to call and ask as we do avionics on a case by case basis.

It wouldn’t be rolling the dice for me, since I’ve been ads-b compliant since 2014, but deals like this (GDL-82) and the SkyBeacon products near the deadline show that there’s no excuse for anyone not to be complaint by 2020.

22 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

It wouldn’t be rolling the dice for me, since I’ve been ads-b compliant since 2014, but deals like this (GDL-82) and the SkyBeacon products near the deadline show that there’s no excuse for anyone not to be complaint by 2020.

So then why post like you are making a huge uncovering of King Tut's Tomb? This company you brag about is advertising for Cirrus which you CAN short cut things like antenna mounting in the exterior. Just trying to make a point here. I agree with you about mo excuses though. Kudos!

7 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

So then why post like you are making a huge uncovering of King Tut's Tomb? This company you brag about is advertising for Cirrus which you CAN short cut things like antenna mounting in the exterior. Just trying to make a point here. I agree with you about mo excuses though. Kudos!

If you re-read my post, I was neither bragging about him nor was I posting like i had uncovered King Tut's tomb, I was merely passing along one piece of information that I had read.