nosky2high

M20F Alternator Conversion - Belt Part#

We recently upgraded from an M20C to a 67’ M20F. Some of the initial upgrade chores include replacing the starter with a skytec 149NL, installing an Airwolf Remote Oil Filter kit, and have the planepower 70amp alternator conversion kit ready to install next.

Question, what alternator belt should be ordered for this combination?

I assume I’m not the first to have done this.

12700EBB-4D96-41AD-97B5-18799A71B271.png

Edited by nosky2high

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

This may be of some help.   If you get the Gates Belt from NAPA, you can save $40 that you can use in gas driving back and forth till you get the right length.  Or buy several lengths and then just return the rest.

Or you can buy one of these for an emergency belt, get it to the right size and then take it to NAPA.   Then use it for Emergencies. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nosky2high said:

We recently upgraded from an M20C to a 67’ M20F. Some of the initial upgrade chores include replacing the starter with a skytec 149NL, installing an Airwolf Remote Oil Filter kit, and have the planepower 70amp alternator conversion kit ready to install next.

Question, what alternator belt should be ordered for this combination?

I assume I’m not the first to have done this.

12700EBB-4D96-41AD-97B5-18799A71B271.png

It should be the -376 belt.

Clarence

I didn’t realize you were converting from a generator to an alternator. The -376 is the narrow belt used when an alternator was previously installed.

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I didn’t realize you were converting from a generator to an alternator. The -376 is the narrow belt used when an alternator was previously installed.

Clarence

So I should go with the -341?

The belt on my plane has a Gates part number.  I can take a picture of it for you this evening if it'll help.

1 hour ago, pilot_jb said:

The belt on my plane has a Gates part number.  I can take a picture of it for you this evening if it'll help.

Please do thanks 

A  few years ago I converted my 64c, serial number 2799 from a generator to the plane power alternator #SAL12-70.

The belt that is on my plane is a 9335 Gates Green Stripe XL 13A0850

Image-1.jpeg

Is you current belt is in good shape? 

When I converted my E from generator to Plane Power alternator I used the same belt that was on there and eliminated the need to remove the prop.

Planepower left a workaround on choosing which belt can be used legally. It’s not in the text of the STC, but if you look at the drawings for the installation instructions, you will see a Gates part number along with one of those high dollar PMA numbered belts.  I chose to save the $50 and installed the Gates version from National Aircraft Parts Association (NAPA).

-_-

Edited by pmccand
Oops
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Is you current belt is in good shape? 

When I converted my E from generator to Plane Power alternator I used the same belt that was on there and eliminated the need to remove the prop.

There was a minor leak at the crank seal that I wanted to fix anyway so I might as well install a new belt.

• Like 1

Confirmed today that if you’re converting your generator equipped M20F to a PlanePower alternator this is the belt that fit in my situation. 

9A1DE191-F0E1-452A-A92F-F0DF096CB9E6.jpeg

7 hours ago, nosky2high said:

Out with the boat anchors and in with lighter weight, better performing, replacements. 

Welcome to the club.