Honestly, how bad is this?

WaynePierce

I sent Mooney an email and they replied back that they don't allow control surface patching. It would need to be removed and re-skinned. I assume they would allow a replacement as well but it would need to be painted and re-balanced afterward.

53 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

I sent Mooney an email and they replied back that they don't allow control surface patching. It would need to be removed and re-skinned. I assume they would allow a replacement as well but it would need to be painted and re-balanced afterward.

Yeah, Mooney is the wrong place to ask. Of course they don't allow patching. Have you talked to an MSC like Don Maxwell? I believe that has been suggested already.

I'm surprised Mooney didn't tell you the whole plane is now scrap and you have to buy an Ultra to replace it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, Mooney is the wrong place to ask. Of course they don't allow patching. Have you talked to an MSC like Don Maxwell? I believe that has been suggested already.

I'm surprised Mooney didn't tell you the whole plane is now scrap and you have to buy an Ultra to replace it.

Not Don, but the MSC in Georgia, still waiting on reply.

1 minute ago, WaynePierce said:

Not Don, but the MSC in Georgia, still waiting on reply.

I'd still ask Don. He's got more of a "we can fix it" attitude.  When I was facing corrosion on my spar cap, Don was the one who just kept saying, it can be fixed. And ultimately he was right and saved me about $60K.

If I’m not mistaken a repair contrary to the manufacturers manual will require some form of alternate approval, like a DER/DAR/STC.  Just because someone has been doing it this way for a long time doesn’t make it right or legal.

Clarence

I don’t think there is a prohibition in the manual. 

A lot of people have changed their attitudes lately. They won’t do anything unless they have explicit guidance that says that they can do something. 

In lew of guidance in the maintenance manual, 43-13.1b is accepted as acceptable methods. The AC  has methods for repairing sheet metal. There is no requirement that Mooney approve the repair. When they are asked they are just playing CYA. If they wanted to legally prohibit the repair, they would need to revise the maintenance manual. 

• Like 2

Military aircraft structural manuals are approved data. I have a copy of a military structural manual (TM-55) that has repairs on flight controls. I have used that data for repairs and for my data on 337’s. The only comment that I’ve ever received from the FAA is to also reference 43-13. 

David

• Like 4

On 11/2/2018 at 9:52 AM, WaynePierce said:

Have you called your insurance agent yet?  As I said earlier, my repair only cost me $50 out of pocket.  And it didn’t affect my rates.

And there is no question it was done correctly.  It was reskined, painted and balanced.  I didn’t have to do anything but open my hangar door.

Edited by dmc

4 hours ago, dmc said:

Have you called your insurance agent yet?  As I said earlier, my repair only cost me $50 out of pocket.  And it didn’t affect my rates.

And there is no question it was done correctly.  It was reskined, painted and balanced.  I didn’t have to do anything but open my hangar door.

Yes, we've been in touch and I've filled in the paperwork. Someone here has a replacement and I would need to get it repainted and balanced, but probably be able to get that done quicker than a reskin. Just a guess on my part.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:35 PM, dmc said:

This surprises me the most, but I've never filed an aviation claim (knock on wood).   

Update... Found an A&P that can look at the elevator and remove next week and I've got a call in with Doug at Beegles Aircraft to do the re-skin, paint and static balance. Doug didn't think this was necessarily going to be a quick process but I'll take any kind of process at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Elevator has been removed and was flown back to Will Dawson Aircraft in Clinton, Ark today. Reskin and paint in the near future... (I hope) I was going to use Beegles but I was concerned about the shipping... more specifically the return shipping to me and it ended up we can fly it to Dawson Aircraft easier.

Hangar has tape on the floor, box for the mains and nose, and big green tape in the center at the back of the hangar to line up the horizontal stabilizer... I'm moved it in and out of the hangar twice since adding the tape and my short stature appreciates the markings.

• 2 weeks later...
New to this Mooney, new to sole ownership, new to hangar life, I dinged the elevator this evening after a pretty good flight...

Missed you were the OP.

Could be worse. The SR22 I used to fly had a similar incident, just as I was starting to fly it.

The owner went out to fly one day. Pulled the plane out, parked his car in the hangar and closed up the doors. Had a good flight opened the hangar doors, and pushed in the plane. Realized he didn't pull the car out until the aileron hit his convertible Jaguar.

So, he put a small bend in the aileron, scratched/dented the car and we had to fly to Cape Cod in an Arrow instead of the SR22.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

Missed you were the OP.

Could be worse. The SR22 I used to fly had a similar incident, just as I was starting to fly it.

The owner went out to fly one day. Pulled the plane out, parked his car in the hangar and closed up the doors. Had a good flight opened the hangar doors, and pushed in the plane. Realized he didn't pull the car out until the aileron hit his convertible Jaguar.

So, he put a small bend in the aileron, scratched/dented the car and we had to fly to Cape Cod in an Arrow instead of the SR22.

#firstworldproblems

Not trying to be a troll, but it’s hard to feel bad for someone that doesn’t even notice his car is still in the hanger and dents his Jaguar with his Cirrus. Maybe if it had been a Mooney I would have felt bad about it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2